Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL Synthesis - Something BIG is on its way...

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by jblsound View Post
    Wasn't there a firmware upgrade to change that? If not I'll stay with my HK635, which will do L7 over any input/mode.
    One thing with the 635, if I want to use dts neo6 for music via sat it has to be stereo, not DD.

On second thought, if Dolby true HD or DTS Master Audio is as good as everyone sez it is then I guess there is no reason to lay L7 over top. I don't use L7 when I play a dvd with DTS-ES.
    I don’t think a cinema would ether LOL
    What hold on are you saying you can link it up with the pc and upload new software programming?

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    What hold on are you saying you can link it up with the pc and upload new software programming?
    Not software, firmware, via the rs232 port.
    Living in the Land of the Sun

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by jblsound View Post
    Not software, firmware, via the rs232 port.
    Oh, that input lead support yes sorry the DCX2496 also supports that socket.

Yeah, real problem is that DVDs and HDTV do not all use the same initial encoding scheme - so you have to play around a bit with your gear to get the
    one true sound (best sound) from each bit of media ...

and - RS232 port is VERY old PC technology - think 1200 baud modems and the like -
    but, its just a doorway into the machine, the difficult part is getting a copy of the manufacturer's updated code ...
    that's even ASSUMING the manufacturer does firmware/software updates to older gear instead of just selling improved hardware
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Yeah, real problem is that DVDs and HDTV do not all use the same initial encoding scheme - so you have to play around a bit with your gear to get the
    one true sound (best sound) from each bit of media ...

and - RS232 port is VERY old PC technology - think 1200 baud modems and the like -
    but, its just a doorway into the machine, the difficult part is getting a copy of the manufacturer's updated code ...
    that's even ASSUMING the manufacturer does firmware/software updates to older gear instead of just selling improved hardware
    when the line was released, there were a string of flaws, and a striing of firmware updates, mostly to do with HDMI switching issues between components, in particular those using PS3. I actually returned my unit TWICE since the issues were pretty major, and yes, people on the HK issues thread (1885 postings to date!!!) on avsforum.com
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1053202

b*tched severely about the outdated RS232, how painful the process was, and how particular it was to specific brands of cable ($40 for the one that worked!), laptop/desktop brand, operatingg system and so on (yuck!!) I wasn't about to start updating firmware (painfully at that) to fix problems on something I just dropped $750 on brand spaking new, when they were releasing updated firmware on new units every 60 days or so...

to my knowledge (I read almost the entire 1900 post thread) none of the firmware issues "fixed" the Logic 7 being useable on all encoding types, the manual clearly shows in the appendix that L7 is only available for "PCM, analog,tuner" so if you want to use it, you'd need to hook your DVD out to the AVR with composite analog cables, as HDMI, DVI, Optical (all digital formats) render it useless (or conversely you could set your DVD audio out to PCM manually)

JBL 4645
    It’s JBLsound that uses the RS232 the most I hardly use mine in fact I haven’t even used it I don’t have lead for for mine.

Isn’t been replaced with HDMI or what was those connections on Dome’s EQ they looked like USB connecting ports?

Does the user have to pay a small fee for the new updates?

It’s JBL sound that uses the RS232 the most I hardly use mine in fact I haven’t even used it I don’t have lead for for mine.

Isn’t been replaced with HDMI or what was those connections on Dome’s EQ they looked like USB connecting ports?

Does the user have to pay a small fee for the new updates?

According to Wikipedia -
    HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) is a compact audio/video interface for transmitting uncompressed digital data. It represents a digital alternative to consumer analog standards such as Radio Frequency (RF) coaxial cable, composite video, S-Video, SCART, component video, D-Terminal, and VGA. HDMI connects digital audio/video sources such as set-top boxes, Blu-ray Disc players, personal computers (PCs), video game consoles (such as the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360), and AV receivers to compatible digital audio devices, computer monitors, and digital televisions.HDMI supports, on a single cable, any TV or PC video format, including standard, enhanced, and high-definition video, up to 8 channels of digital audio, and a Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) connection.

So - its for your MEDIA - Audio/Video, etc ...

Thats totally different than RS-232 - which is for communication with the processor inside your gear - like, setting up programmable functions inside the device - firmware!

Wikipedia says:
    In telecommunications, RS-232 (Recommended Standard 232) is a standard for serial binary data signals connecting between a DTE (Data Terminal Equipment) and a DCE (Data Circuit-terminating Equipment). It is commonly used in computer serial ports.

So you see, RS-232 has nothing to do with Audio or video in and out, like HDMI does.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

JBL 4645
    Blimey that’s a long list of features for single lead!

I don’t have one piece of equipment as of yet that supports HDMI not one.

I noticed on Dome’s AVP there was plenty of support for it.

Blimey that’s a long list of features for single lead!

I don’t have one piece of equipment as of yet that supports HDMI not one.

I noticed on Dome’s AVP there was plenty of support for it.
    The OPPO DVD supports it, my Philips TV supports it so I have them wired directly together with a long HDMI cable for video. No need for Audio to the TV - I do better audio elsewhere (grin). I do audio either via optical fiber or discrete RCA cables.

For those who wanted to "see inside" the DACS calibration...

Even though you can't do much with this if you don't have the software, here's the 2002-era manual for the DACS system. One of the two laptops Chris was using had Vista on it, so it goes beyond the Windows systems listed in this manual.

http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Ow...ual%202001.pdf
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by JBLAddict
    to my knowledge (I read almost the entire 1900 post thread) none of the firmware issues "fixed" the Logic 7 being useable on all encoding types, the manual clearly shows in the appendix that L7 is only available for "PCM, analog,tuner" so if you want to use it, you'd need to hook your DVD out to the AVR with composite analog cables, as HDMI, DVI, Optical (all digital formats) render it useless (or conversely you could set your DVD audio out to PCM manually)
    The only firmware upgrade to the 635 was to lock the L7 7 channel when changing inputs, instead of it boucing back to 5 channel, from what I was told. I never did the upgrade as I never bought a RS232 cable.
    But unlike some (all?) newer HK AVRs, the 635 lets you lay L7 over top any source or digital format. Of coarse it doesn't have hdmi, DD True HD or DTS MA. But if I bought a blueray player that decoded, I could use the analog 7.1 inputs.
    Living in the Land of the Sun

JBL 4645
    LMAO now this dead funny is JBL taking the piss or what?

It would give Sonic Whole Overhead a whole new meaning when your warring the surround after it comes unhitched and falls on your head! (Wow honey I sure felt that.) Basically it’s a killer sound system.

I have had my JBL control 1 fitted to the ceiling safe has houses. All you need is bolts attached fitted to the joists in the ceiling the surrounds are no different than any other JBL.

Other than reading down the first few pages at least JBL has sense of humour that I was unaware of it’s a good read of the owner’s manual.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

... the warnings seemed excessive, given the intended audience, but "LMAO?"
    ... not so much.

Was an interesting read after watching the process, which with the newer
    EQ's required an undocumented step or two (and the Vista box which ran
    the London Architect software to get the desired transfer function into the
    multichannel EQ)

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    The OPPO DVD supports it, my Philips TV supports it so I have them wired directly together with a long HDMI cable for video. No need for Audio to the TV - I do better audio elsewhere (grin). I do audio either via optical fiber or discrete RCA cables.
    HDMI is on a lot of players but unfortunately evryone went with bluray. The disks are out there recorded in HD but good luck finding one.

Allan.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    ... the warnings seemed excessive, given the intended audience, but "LMAO?"
    ... not so much.

Was an interesting read after watching the process, which with the newer
    EQ's required an undocumented step or two (and the Vista box which ran
    the London Architect software to get the desired transfer function into the
    multichannel EQ)
    grumpy
    In all how many this all take to perform?

Thread Information