Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL Synthesis - Something BIG is on its way...

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Huikyong and I watched a movie tonight, and she simply commented: "It's the best movie experience I've ever had."
    Marvellous! That's about the best praise you could hope for!

Congrats!!!

JBL 4645
    EQ isn’t it a bitch! Opps he’s got to travel back. I’d fill that fridge up with his favourite beverage.

Mike Ronesia
    Huikyong and I watched a movie tonight, and she simply commented: "It's the best movie experience I've ever had."
    What did you think? Did you get any quality listening time before you started so you can hear and feel the difference Chris makes?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ronesia View Post
    What did you think? Did you get any quality listening time before you started so you can hear and feel the difference Chris makes?
    Well, as I rushed to finish up some small details (though apparently not everything) I put on two things repeatedly:

Dark Side of the Moon DVD-A
    Just Dance

I know it makes me look like a heathen, but I can't get enough of that dance trax/club mix beat, so there it is. It's bass heavy and thumping, as you might guess.

The thing that's most apparent is the obvious improvement in the cleanness and consistency in the bass. It's a major improvement.

Another thing that I was glad to hear was there was very little loss in the center channel audio once the screen was in place. It was far less than I expected. Once he gets the center channel calibrated, I doubt I'll be able to hear any difference at all.

Finally, getting the four additional diffusers up balanced the room better. Now the diffusion is uniform, and the sense of space is unbelievable.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Out.

TiDome, how do you judge the localisation within the soundstage and the perception of details with the vertical horns and the absorber pannels behind the front?
    In my actual room where I listen - it is no listening room - there are so many unwanted reflections that it is a great improvement when I hold my hands behind my ears for better directivity - unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    TiDome, how do you judge the localisation within the soundstage and the perception of details with the vertical horns and the absorber pannels behind the front?
    In my actual room where I listen - it is no listening room - there are so many unwanted reflections that it is a great improvement when I hold my hands behind my ears for better directivity - unfortunately.
    It's actually quite clear. The sound comes from the front soundstage very precisely without any unwanted reflections off the front wall. The horns' dispersion seems to provide very clear positioning for instruments, for example.

Localization for the surrounds is better now that all the diffusers are up. I've corrected the diagram to show the dispersion better and to show the direct radiating sound from the 8" woofer and Ti tweeter at the bottom.

(The red arrows add the direct sound and the orange represent the diffused sound. Of course arrows cannot show dispersion patterns per se, so no one needs to point that out. It's obvious.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Out.

Congratulations on pulling it all together!

...I can't get enough of that dance trax/club mix beat, so there it is. It's bass heavy and thumping, as you might guess.
    Will you use the room for serious music listening as well as for watching movies? For most types of music you would want a flatter sound than you would for a theater, however if you primarily listen to bass heavy dance music, maybe you would want the same room curve for both.

In your previous HT setup did you find one curve worked for both applications?

Widget

I can second the quality of the room... whatever treatments were there, they
    were effective. The room did -not- sound like a normal room that size, either
    speech or with music. With the movie going, the sound field seemed defined
    by the recording, not the room (would have been difficult to guess room
    size if blindfolded, listening for audio clues).

The brief before/after bass-EQ adjustments also seemed effective in
    "tightening up" the bass and reducing apparent room influence ... but then
    I was looking over Chris' shoulder, seeing where the adjustments were made
    toward a "standard" curve, so this result was what I was expecting... I have
    performed a similar (if less comprehensive and time-efficient) EQ process
    with an analog parametric EQ at home. Having hardware to run averages
    (and probably more) with 8 positioned microphones is a distinct
    advantage.

It should be quite a further improvement when a DACS-based measurement
    system can be employed to finish up the non-sub EQ/delay alignments.

FWIW, the SDEC-4000 units appear to be JBL versions of the BSS
    BLU-series that use the London Architect software. Powerful stuff.
    More so than old version of the Harman "HiQnet System Architect"
    software I've played with. The software and products (JBL/BSS/dbx)
    in this category (multi-in/out dsp engines) seem to be merging.

Heres a pdf manual of a JBL version:

http://www.tomtom.sk/buxus/docs/download/Owner%5C%27s%20Manual%20-%20SDEC3000,%20SDEC4000%20(English).pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Not to put words in TD's mouth, but something tells me with networked active EQs and crossovers, he can probably change the curve on the fly between different albums, much less different purposes (e.g., HT vs. Music). Good show that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Will you use the room for serious music listening as well as for watching movies? For most types of music you would want a flatter sound than you would for a theater, however if you primarily listen to bass heavy dance music, maybe you would want the same room curve for both.

Widget
    When all is said and done, I don't know the SDP-5 well enough to to comment on its capabilities, but I do know from a cursory examination of the manual that there's a load of customization options there. I'll ask if more than one set of values is possible.

Having said that, Grumpy and I listened to the Performance Series MCH system and the S/2600 stereo pair afterward, and I think I might prefer them for music reproduction, respectively. Grumpy offered to come back and help me with some EQ for each system, and I just might take him up on it.

Despite the One Array's superiority for cinema reproduction, I must admit that listening to the Performance Series afterward on MCH music was very gratifying, especially with Grumpy's suggestions on channel balance.

Additionally, the S/2600's stereo performance with the Panasonic digital receiver was quite convincing. Since my right ear is shot, I'm temped to trust his two good ears (and equipment) to help me get maximum reproduction from these two excellent systems.
    Out.

Mike Ronesia
    I must admit that listening to the Performance Series afterward on MCH music was very gratifying, especially with Grumpy's suggestions on channel balance.

Additionally, the S/2600's stereo performance with the Panasonic digital receiver was quite convincing. Since my right ear is shot, I'm temped to trust his two good ears (and equipment) to help me get maximum reproduction from these two excellent systems.
    I'll supply the steaks and beer if you two come to my place and help me set mine up with all that skill and knowledge you guys have....Heck I'll even give you a place to crash.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post

That’s funny I was trying the same thing a few days ago and it does work and doesn’t cost a penny.

JBL 4645
    Seriously Dome can you get spot on directivity with films since that was your main goal as your film nut like me?

Can you hear without effort or stain clear dialogue panning and at the same time clear centred dialogue over the left/right competition with surrounds muted this helps to focus on three things. LCR!

If you where to play I mean Snow White pass. Hmm that’s matrix version of The Blues Brothers I have region 2 version in six-track Dolby stereo. Is that Soylent Green? And the question is now that you spent a fortune have you had to make cut-backs on food at the supermarket? Are you eating Soylent Green?

Or have you performed a blind listening test with a Sent of woman? Or maybe if you stick Conehead on it will improve directivity in sound?

Oh, you have Independence Day and the bass to sub bass surprisingly doesn’t go below 20Hz its deep its loud but. I’m trying to think with my Conehead hat on? There is neat sound pan with the bi-plane from front to back or sidewall surrounds on side 1 chapter? I only have the region 2 DVD I sold the THX laserdisc years ago, not sure if its chapter 7?

List the title of film laserdisc and DVD that you have so far.

We watched the first part of Master and Commander, and near the beginning you see the ship's bell being rung in the middle of the screen. I exclaimed, "Man! That sounds like it's ringing right out of the bell."

Pans are very good, but will be even better when the fronts are fully calibrated.
    Out.

Localization for the surrounds is better now that all the diffusers are up. I've corrected the diagram to show the dispersion better and to show the direct radiating sound from the 8" woofer and Ti tweeter at the bottom.
    For movies, one wants not to be able to localize the surrounds, right?
    At times, you do want localization, like when a plane is flying from the left rear to the right front, for instants.
    But in a movie like Twister, when you're in the middle of a tornado, you just want the sound all around.
    Living in the Land of the Sun

Thread Information