Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast

Thread: JBL Synthesis - Something BIG is on its way...

Something Big Gets Bigger

Okay. Let me settle into my chair and ease the strain in my back.

Ah, there it is: less pain.

Recently Mr Widget was able to stop over and we spent an enjoyable if quick evening before he had to head back north. We listened to a lot of music and shared thoughts about what had been done, what could be done, and what might be done to each of the systems he had the time to hear to improve them, solve a problem, or just make them different. It was fun.

The one thing he said that surprised me was something no one had said before, though I had felt it and just assumed I was being overly critical and bass-whorish. In the Two Jims Theatre, he stated, "It sounds great, but it just doesn't have the bass punch I expected. Do you have Master and Commander?" Yep, and I put it in. "I felt my hair move on those cannon shots, but it just seemed like I expected more low end."

Hmm, now that someone said, look, there's an elephant in this room, I thought, rats, WTF am I going to do now? We discussed maybe adding two more subs in that small room. OK, maybe.

Well, today, thanks to the good graces of Cherokee Recording Studios and Craigslist, I picked up a pair of 4645C THX subs that had been built by JBL for the studio but never installed. For a couple of years they've been in a storage unit in Gardena, and now they're in the Two Jims waiting to get hooked up.

Gosh! What a pain taking them solo down two flights of stairs then back up a half flight to get them in the room. Pain and strain, actually, but I didn't drop them.

So now my something big is even bigger!
    Out.

Aren't we a pair?

So, they're big, but the price and condition were right.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Out.

Oh no... what have I done?!

Keep us posted!

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    So, they're big, but the price and condition were right.
    As I've heard it said here often ... too much is just right!

Enjoy!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Oh no... what have I done?!

Widget
    As God is my witness, I'll never be bass hungry again!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Out.

Scarlett needs an ARCOS/HATS revisit?
    and more S800's? wow.

(Save Chris' curves/settings!)

80sKid
    Congratulations on this major find!

Do you have spare amp channels to drive these with, or will you need to add something?

As you may already know, having four subwoofers -- each one in the middle of a wall -- will allow for virtually eliminating bass modes in the room.

Of course to properly integrate them you should really have a recalibration by a Synthesis trained tech, using gear like that used to originally tune your system.

That's just incredible. C'mon man your killing me. Would love to hear that!

Easy, men! All in good time.

Grumpy: I'm thinking either Sanjay or even better Widget with a weekend rental of the ARCOS system. I guess I'd have to offer Widget something to make the trip, maybe some raki.

I don't think a massive recal is required, but I'd like to hear what the ARCOS can do, if it indeed works with the SDEC4000.

80s kid: I have a spare S400 in the rack now, and just missed another S400 because I was fooling around with my girlfriend in Hawai'i for a week. (That's a better deal, BTW, than some stinkin' amp.)

I'll be on the lookout for another S400 or S800, though I do have two S300 and two S150 Synthesis amps. Maybe Grumpy could help me find one that won't blow up a 2242H, since a couple of those old amps were a bit questionable.

If you follow any of my threads for very long, you'll find me referring to the Harman White Paper on Multisubs, so no need to bring that up again. But thanks for the hint, anyway.

Audiobeer: since I don't actually want to be held responsible for your death, I'm prohibited by law and my insurance company from telling you how much I paid for these. If it didn't result in a heart attack, it'd at least cause a stroke.

Widget: Okay, you started this. Are you ready to finish it?

Ready to put your ARCOS training to the test? In front of guys who will report on the whole experience?
    Out.

Ready to put your ARCOS training to the test? In front of guys who will report on the whole experience?
    Not sure about the raki... but I'm game!

Widget

Nothing like bringing the classroom to the field to test and bolster your learning experience!

Easy, men! All in good time.

Audiobeer: since I don't actually want to be held responsible for your death, I'm prohibited by law and my insurance company from telling you how much I paid for these. If it didn't result in a heart attack, it'd at least cause a stroke.

Well, seeing as the ad (which is still up) was asking for $2K OBO, your best offer must have been accepted. Interestingly, across the nation, some of these are going for what might be considered dirt cheap (less than $600 each). In fact, I've got two cabinets (4645 and 4645B, the one with 3 and 2 vents) waiting for a cleanup/refinish, I plan to use 2245H's or 2242H's in them. Since I can't find any B460's locally, that's the next best alternative IMO.

Will be interested in seeing how these integrate into your system.
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

It this even legal? I am astounded. I feel so small. The SAM1HF is the core of your system, which to me is the holy grail, so how many do you have again? OK, I'm speechless.

Quote Originally Posted by mech986 View Post
    Well, seeing as the ad (which is still up) was asking for $2K OBO, your best offer must have been accepted. Interestingly, across the nation, some of these are going for what might be considered dirt cheap (less than $600 each).

Will be interested in seeing how these integrate into your system.
    I watched the listing come and go and come, I waited several days, made contact just before the weekend, offered cash and quick pick up, got a quick counter offer that was way below what I expected, and BOOM! there it is! Done deal.

I can't tell how many of these I passed up or missed because the price was too high and/or the seller was too firm, or the drivers and/or enclosures were beaten up or worn out.

These look brand new, the drivers are immaculate, and the cabinets are sharp and clean. Plus I got to spend an hour talking with Joe Robb about Cherokee, JBL, TAD, Ausperger, tape machines, Ampex, vinyl lathes, and near field monitors. That should have been worth a hundred bucks right there.
    Out.

I watched the listing come and go and come, I waited several days, made contact just before the weekend, offered cash and quick pick up, got a quick counter offer that was way below what I expected, and BOOM! there it is! Done deal.

I can't tell how many of these I passed up or missed because the price was too high and/or the seller was too firm, or the drivers and/or enclosures were beaten up or worn out.

These look brand new, the drivers are immaculate, and the cabinets are sharp and clean. Plus I got to spend an hour talking with Joe Robb about Cherokee, JBL, TAD, Ausperger, tape machines, Ampex, vinyl lathes, and near field monitors. That should have been worth a hundred bucks right there.

Do you own a camera? Why are you torturing us?

Thread Information