Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL Synthesis - Something BIG is on its way...

So have you decided what movie you are going to watch first??

Rob[/quote]

The depth charge attack on U-571 is a real wall shaker! It will also test your surround calibration very well. My uncle is a THX certified installer and has a bunch of set-up discs. I will ask him if he has an extra or two, if you need them that is.

Congrats on a great system Doug!

Mark

First flick?

Yeah, that's a hard one, but I keep thinking Master and Commander might be it. It has so much variety to it.

Storms on the sea
    Cannon rounds
    Intense dialogue
    Intimate dialogue
    Little sounds of nature
    Singing
    Stringed instruments
    Big musical score
    Lots of multichannel effects

It's a definite contender.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by oznob View Post
    My uncle is a THX certified installer and has a bunch of set-up discs. I will ask him if he has an extra or two, if you need them that is.

Congrats on a great system Doug!

Mark

Thanks.

There's definitely nothing in the house now that will fit the task. I have DVE, but it's way below the standard of this equipment.

Once Chris is done, I think I'm pretty much on my own unless I want to pay him or someone else to come back.
    Out.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Here's a SAM1HF (Synthesis Array Module 1 High Frequency) full in the face. That's Ti on top and Al underneath. It's the least horn-sounding horn I've heard.

It has none of the honking, ringing, sibilant, shrill, or piercing qualities I hear in 95%+ of all horns I've listened to, vintage or otherwise.

Can't wait to hear it dialed in!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ronesia View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to share the pictures. Do you have time off work this week to work more on it?
    It's near the end of the fiscal year, so I have to use up vacation time. I've got two days reserved this week and one next week.
    Out.

Yeah, that's a hard one, but I keep thinking Master and Commander might be it. It has so much variety to it.
    It does sound fantastic, but I am not sure I could sit through it again. There are so many good choices for sound, but if I am going to sit through a couple of hours of movie, I really want to enjoy the movie as well as the sound.

I must say, I am drawing a blank right now for best movie with best sound... maybe stick with that pick.

For a good subwoofer workout there are a number of scenes in The Incredibles that will really plumb the depths at a significant power level.

Widget

Thanks.

There's definitely nothing in the house now that will fit the task. I have DVE, but it's way below the standard of this equipment.

Once Chris is done, I think I'm pretty much on my own unless I want to pay him or someone else to come back.
    My favorite, fairly current movie, is SHOOTER, starring Mark Wallberg. I played that for my old army buddy when he was here in March. he jumped out of his seat at least once.

Another good movie is THE PEACEMAKER starring George Clooney, that's the one he plays the part of a Green Beret trying to find a a missing bomb in Russia.
    Living in the Land of the Sun

Wow! So cool.
    The green shade is my envy.

Bombs and blasts are nice, but it is nice to have some sweet music and subtlety in at as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mikebake View Post
    Bombs and blasts are nice, but it is nice to have some sweet music and subtlety in at as well.
    True, that's why I like my SUB1500s, more than just a boom box. Another movie that has plenty of boom and music is Pirates of the Carrabean.
    Living in the Land of the Sun

JBL 4645

Thumbs up Excellent contender for cannon recoil!

Storms on the sea
    Cannon rounds
    Intense dialogue
    Intimate dialogue
    Little sounds of nature
    Singing
    Stringed instruments
    Big musical score
    Lots of multichannel effects

It's a definite contender.
    It will have pulsating effect for the first brief few seconds as the splitters of wood showers around your head.
    Richard King sound effects editing was spot on the money that earned Oscar 2003.

LFE.1 track only! I’d keep the subs for LFE.1 only unless that AVP is as smart as Dolby cinema processor, no pun, I’d be surprised if it will route low end to the subs in Dolby stereo pro-logic mode and keep LCRS out of the subs when in (Dolby stereo/dts5.1).

If not use one sub for LFE.1 and the other for LCRS sub bass extension this way you want over taxi the LFE.1 or smear or mask it as I have found.

Quote Originally Posted by jblsound View Post
    My favorite, fairly current movie, is SHOOTER, starring Mark Wallberg. I played that for my old army buddy when he was here in March. he jumped out of his seat at least once.

Another good movie is THE PEACEMAKER starring George Clooney, that's the one he plays the part of a Green Beret trying to find a a missing bomb in Russia.
    Another excellent choice! Particularly the atomic bomb explosions and its impossible to create the real thing impossible because it would kill you instantaneously, or the sound system would be the first to go LOL if played too loud!

There’s only two parts where its used the rest has neat chest bass kicking effects. “Those f%()kers you can shoot” The bridge truck sequence or the on foot chase though New York city.

I think the Dome is going to have a few exciting listening weekend afternoons or maybe the whole god damn day! I would if I was you!

Have you decided on name yet or are you still starching your head wondering what name to christen the home cinema?

I’d call the MegaDomeTheatre

How about the THX WOW! There’s a DVD copy version on ebay I mean if you do a search you’ll be bound to find at least a dozen or so.

Hmm, that’s one test disc I haven’t yet done waterfalls on, maybe I’ll do it now!

I’m surprised JBL or seeing its part of the THX home cinema spec, they didn’t provide a THX laserdisc LOL I mean THX WOW DVD.

Or for something contemporary - try the action "comedy" -
    Wanted - With James Macavoy, Morgan Freeman, and Angelina Jolie

Its a subtle sendup of all the newer action movies and has all the good stuff - Shooting, train wrecks, car stunts, bullets bending on their path - all kinds of fun and kick-butt audio, too!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Or for something contemporary - try the action "comedy" -
    Wanted - With James Macavoy, Morgan Freeman, and Angelina Jolie

Its a subtle sendup of all the newer action movies and has all the good stuff - Shooting, train wrecks, car stunts, bullets bending on their path - all kinds of fun and kick-butt audio, too!

Brilliant action fun and the rat scene towards the end damn funny.

Mike Ronesia
    I need to add that to my Netflix list!

Thumbs up Calibration soon!

The JBL DACS system is reserved for next weekend! At this point, we're not sure if it will be Saturday or Sunday for the calibration. Find out more here:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...7&postcount=19
    Out.

Thread Information