Thread: Atelier Rullit

Atelier Rullit

Do any of our European members know anything about these drivers or this company? I did a search of LH and found no reference to them, so another new thread.

Their website has field coil and Alnico drivers, many full range. Their construction can be very unusual, including wood spiders and cones, composite cones and leather surrounds.

I get the feeling they are very expensive. If it is not against the rules to post a link to a commercial site, here is theirs. For some reason they do not sell within the EU.

http://www.field-coil.com/#field_coil

http://www.field-coil.com/about/

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Atelier Rullit
    Hello Clark,

having researched my own name at Google, I discovered your interesting forum.

What exactly would you like to know about the drivers I'm manufacturing?

I wouldn't refer to my constructions as '"unusual" - I think they are simply closer to the music, as I'm picking up materials that are also used in musical instruments. It has been a development of many years to find out the appropriate ones.

The focal point of my work is classic (opera, chamber) music and acoustic jazz and blues. In this sphere, it's important that the components don't influence the music at all, neither in its physical nor spiritual aspects. In recording and reproducing of rock (or electronic) music, the rules are different. Could you imagine the bridge of a violin made of phenolic? So there's no reason why this material should be part of a speaker. It's noncritical with bass drivers, but crucial in full ranges - as if a gourmet preferred plastic tableware that adds its taste to the meal, instead of choosing neutral chinaware.

Best regards,
    Oleg Rullit

Welcome to our forum Oleg. You have made some very beautiful and remarkable looking drivers. I like what you say, however I do take issue with the notion that a driver can be "closer to the music" by "picking up materials that are also used in musical instruments."

Along these lines many forum members who use metal horn loudspeakers from Altec and JBL have commented on how well these speakers recreate the playing of brass wind instruments... maybe so, however if you use woods similar to those used in a fine violin, how does that help the reproduction of someone playing a flute? If you use wood for the cone, leather skins for the surround and a whizzer made of aluminum, that may cover your flute, cello, and drum, but what about the human voice?

Regardless, it does appear you are sincere and are building very special transducers... I'd love to know more.

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Atelier Rullit
    Dear Mr. Widget, help in reproduction - this is complete nonsense. It will do no harm, not to intrude into compositions which were already created and played - now, that is the ART of reproduction. And the wood ensures that for me in one of the most important place of the speaker's construction. In this case there is no esoteric. Experience and quite explainable things.
    Please take a look, I also use wooden spider in my 18'' RF-C903 field coil.

Quote Originally Posted by Atelier Rullit View Post
    - now, that is the ART of reproduction.
    I'd suggest you are creating art. I mean that in the best sense. Your drivers are spectacular... beautiful in every detail.

While the designer in me responds overwhelmingly to such art, the part of me that loves reproduced music will go with plastic or beryllium or whatever it takes to make the most accurate speakers without any character if possible... different goals I suppose.

Widget

Atelier Rullit
    The best system is the one which you don't hear, which doesn't remind that it exists during you're listening to the music. It just disappear. Many (people) who has heard these systems change their opinion totally.
    Unfortunately or fortunately overigeneering speakers with carbon cones and beryllium diaphragms cannot secure the disappearing of the system during hearing. Because sterile - is far from beeing neutral.

The best system is the one which you don't hear, which doesn't remind that it exists during you're listening to the music. It just disappear. Many (people) who has heard these systems change their opinion totally.
    Unfortunately or fortunately overigeneering speakers with carbon cones and beryllium diaphragms cannot secure the disappearing of the system during hearing. Because sterile - is far from beeing neutral.
    I agree with you 100%

Well, I do if you mean sterile to mean mechanical and edgy.... actually I suppose sterile should mean free of anomalies which would be neutral. Unfortunately we are entering the realm of audio semantics which is never the same as listening... I agree that simply using beryllium does not guaranty accuracy or neutrality.

I guess then, you must feel as I do that the Lowther driver you pictured above is an unlistenable device? While I have never used Lowthers in my own designs and I have never measured one, I have heard several of their different drivers in numerous cabinet types and they are a seriously colored speaker.

Widget

You are welcome to visit one of our demonstration venues:
    Nuremberg, Germany
    Very nice pictures indeed.
    Some questions:
    - Do you have some pictures of a fully developed speaker system with enclosure and network?
    - Do you build for high efficient bass drivers bass horns too?
    - Do you have pictures of woodworking machines too?
    I worked in metal industry for a while and I have recognized a lot of your used machines.

Thank you in advance

Atelier Rullit
    Do you agree that the music consists of physical and spiritual parts? So neutral - that means when nothing is added and in the same time nothing is taken away. When I say "sterile", it means sterilizing and letting through physical sounds and impoverishing spiritual.

I had lived for a long time with Lowther. Different Lowther's. That was a transitional period between industrial and my own product. Here you can take a look at a part of my "way to the truth":

http://community.webshots.com/user/highfilter

Due to observance of professional ethics, I have no right to write something about Lowther. I will say only one thing: it became not interesting for me many years ago.

When I say "sterile", it means sterilizing and letting through physical sounds and impoverishing spiritual.
    I see where we diverge.

You make beautiful looking drive units... I'll leave it at that.

Widget

Unfortunately with recording music as soon as the first note is played it is being coloured in some way. The choice of room, the choice of microphone even the type of circuitry inside the mixing desk. There are thousands of variables at the studio and then when the music is played back there are also thousands of variables. At the human level there are also variables to consider. Everyones hearing is very different. I don't beleive there is a perfect system. We can only generalise weather it be good, bad or some other variation. Many people can noy hear the difference between a $5 radio shack speaker or a JBL everest but most here will agree what good is. I always like to see "Art" coming into manufacturing. My favourite guitar amplifier manufacturer has this catchphrase....."The Spirit Of Art In Technology"

Allan.

Atelier Rullit
    Peter, I'm seldom working with wood, unless these are some prototypes. My RF-C805s 15" field coil driver will be installed on this very big horn. And my 8" field coil full range speaker is working here.

Question for Atelier regarding Field Coil Speakers

I have communicated with you many years ago when I purchased a set of your wonderful tractrix wood horns that I use for a super tweeter in my home system. Not only do they sound great, but they really look nice as well. (see Picture)
    I am not a novice in audio gear, but I am ignorant about field coil speakers. What are the advantages of using a field coil speaker? I know you re-manufacture a number of fine field coil speakers that I have seen over the years, but I don't understand what type of system they would be used with. Can you provide me with a bit of an education on this?
    Many Thanks,
    Don
    Tubegopher

Thread Information