Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guitar Building

Guitar Building

I don't know if any of you are interested but lately I have been building a guitar. I did it for a bet , its a totally hollow bodied / carved top Telecaster shaped electric.

Hear it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAx-NPLzMcQ

See the build here http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home...ld-newbie.html

Its been fun PS there is JBL content.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nice vid. Unique sound (effects used? or no)
    Took some brass ones to take that task on.

(yes, I saw the JBL )

Thumbs up Very nice!!!

Great sound, we see the speaker, what amp are you using?
    The only guitar building that I have done is just buy some parts from eBay and put together a couple of Stratocasters.

Cheers guys

Grumpy - no effects other than reverb in the amp. Hey you know me with these kind of projects , you just got to keep pushin towards your goal and bit by bit it comes together eventually. I did have a router moment making the rim for the body , it dug in and grabbed a hold and threw the whole thing around the room. Luckily the parts had just split beside the glue joints and I just glued it all back up again.
    The real try out will be through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe , I am very optimistic as we did run it through a dirtbag practice combo and it was really alive and big and lush but seemingly no feedback issues.

Here is the amp

Clever Begger !

Hey Mac ,

looks great ...... sounds even better !

Nice work as always mate ,

Rich

Thanks Rich

Probably the most fun thing I've done in years , very theraputic and demanding also. The next level is obviously using quality / decor woods rather than scrap and elevating the finish considerably. I am truly humbled by the guitars my friend Michael makes. ( http://web.mac.com/ritchieguitars/Mi...aker/Home.html ) shameless plug !! just to see the micro detail that goes into those classical Spanish jobs is awsome. No screws just animal and fish glue and it will all last for a century or more. It makes our box building look squalid.

Funny thing is as I cannot play a worthy note I now have to hand over ' The Worm ' but I feel good about it because it makes a pleasing tone and my guitaris bud thinks its tasty. He plays a US Tele std and is truly amazed at what is coming out of the ' worm ' and that is only with a couple of hours goofing about.

Rich you can do this !!! Have a go hero !!!1

PS hows the 4313 project a coming along ?

Thinking !

Hey Mac ,

the 4313b is on hold , the avatar project is taking all my time at the moment (when the quacks aint poking and proddin about) . I have a friends workshop for a few weeks while he is on holiday.

Rich

Beauty. Never seen a Tele hollow-body. What lead you to that design?

Dammit - those links in your thread over on Telecasters.com made me join! I couldn't see all your attachments otherwise!!

But I did it because your discussion of balancing the guitbox output(s) was real insightful. THANKS for posting that. Now, since I've joined and can view everything, I need to go back and study all those generous posts!

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    The real try out will be through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe...
    Or even better, a Fender Twin Custom 15!
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Hi Bo

Thanks for your encouraging comments. Well I always thought that thinine teles were actually hollow and was disappointed to find there is a plank of wood down the middle. In any case as I said it all came from a beery bet and once I was on a roll I had to add in a carved top. The rest is there for you to see.
    That forum is great , just like here with massive knowledge. ------------- Check out threads actually builds by a guy called ' Preeb ' specifically 59 les paul build. Truly amazing.
    Dont worry we have D130's on hand

Meant to say that the balanced cable arrangement becomes unbalanced at the input to a typical guitar amp but in spite of that there are considerable benefits to the screening performance , as you probably know. I know that seems counter intuative but try it and buy it !!!

I also joined to see the links.

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    Beauty. Never seen a Tele hollow-body. What lead you to that design?

Dammit - those links in your thread over on Telecasters.com made me join! I couldn't see all your attachments otherwise!!

But I did it because your discussion of balancing the guitbox output(s) was real insightful. THANKS for posting that. Now, since I've joined and can view everything, I need to go back and study all those generous posts!

Or even better, a Fender Twin Custom 15!
    I didn't mind joining since I have 2 Telecasters.
    For the Strat fans! http://www.stratocastertalk.com/forum.php

Here is another sound clip

http://www.youtube.com/user/macaroon.../1/4jrZdAK1xl4

Cisco there had only had about 20 mins on that guitar just noodling around and I just happenned to catch that wee bit. It certainly was not rehearsed. Quite the talent I nave been urging him to refine that a little as a ' piece ' for a gig.

scorpio
    I did build a bass from scratch a few years ago. Quite an interesting experience. Turned out that the most difficult part for me was setting the frets properly in place, in actual fact the bass ended up fretless... But it was fun.

Can't really say how good it sounds, I can't play !!

Here's the only pic I have of the result, with a little furry friend...

I did build a bass from scratch a few years ago. Quite an interesting experience. Turned out that the most difficult part for me was setting the frets properly in place, in actual fact the bass ended up fretless... But it was fun.

Can't really say how good it sounds, I can't play !!

Here's the only pic I have of the result, with a little furry friend...

Nice looking bass there Scorpio. I wish we could get maple like you fellahs do over there in the US , anything flame costs a kings ransome here.
    Welcome to the club .............. Non playing guitar builders. Turns out Leo Fender is one of us

scorpio
    Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    Nice looking bass there Scorpio. I wish we could get maple like you fellahs do over there in the US , anything flame costs a kings ransome here.
    Actually I'm in Belgium... but you are totally correct, I got this maple when I lived in the US more than 10 yrs ago. I still have a few board feet with which I intend to make a plinth for my Thorens TD-124 the day I decide which tonearm will be final for it (0 or 12"). Impossible to find nice wood like that here either!

OOPS - I just assumed you were in the US - didn't check

TD 124 has to be an SME 3009. The 12" will not make much difference to your sound. If you are seeking top sound seek out a Zeta with titanium arm tube and a Koetsu on the end of it.
    Not kiding the Zeta is one of the best engineered arms ever and as stable as you can get
    Name:  Zeta_1.jpg
Views: 1395
Size:  58.9 KB
    and just like a Swiss train here comes one now

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Zeta-tone-arm-...item19bcaef656

Thread Information