Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Not again! What's a good reasonably priced CD player?

What about a Yamaha DVD-S1800?

The Yamaha S1800 seems to be selling regularly for under $250 these days. It must be missing something those HT people need. Audio specs look pretty good to me. They use those magic words "Burr-Brown" and it's also SACD for when I start seeing those showing up at the local thrift shop. Cheapest I've seen it on-line is around $225 and I can buy in locally for $249.

Anyone heard one? I'm not sure the Oppo will be any improvement over the H-K DV22 I already have. Not that the Yamaha will be, either. Seems the general consensus is there's not a lot of difference between the best units at this level. I'm not looking to spend money I don't need to, regardless of what some may think of my last purchase from this site!

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I can buy in locally for $249.
    So why not take your HK player to the store with the Yamaha and compare them on the best system that they have there?

If you were going to buy a new BMW you would want to take a test drive, right?

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    So why not take your HK player to the store with the Yamaha and compare them on the best system that they have there.
    Good idea! Better yet, the local store (Crutchfield) offers 30-day-money-back guaranty:
    If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, you can return it within 30 days for a full refund. And, we will pay return shipping on most returns.
    I've heard their best (Thiel CS3.7) and was unimpressed. Much better to try it at home. Just wondered if anyone else had any experience with the Yamaha.

I can't afford a new BMW. But I can borrow them for free quite often. Always enjoy getting back in my old ones, though. Only ever bought two new ones in 38 years—both motorcycles. Sold thousands of new BMW cars in 25-years of doing it as my job, though.

Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post

Must be one lame $5K player.

Widget

As good as a $5K CD player ...
    Every time I see a thread on the PS-1 I feel like running to Snopes to debunk it. It just has that aura of urban legend about it. But, though I don't doubt it, neither do I want my living-room system to look like some junk shop.

Not that I'm recommending one for you (I actually liked the Sony DVP-9000ES quite a bit, and I'm not sure what it is that you DON'T like about it...OK, so the eject button is irritating in a dark room.), but my Alesis ML-9600 has really come in handy for certain tasks, and sounds pretty good, too.

je

You may want to try a NAD T585 - it is a very nice universal player and heavily discounted right now after the Blu ray decision.

They can be had for $499 from Saturday Audio and I believe they listed at over $1,000

Cheers

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    Not that I'm recommending one for you (I actually liked the Sony DVP-9000ES quite a bit, and I'm not sure what it is that you DON'T like about it...
    You mean other than the fact that it's no longer made? I have an aversion to buying used stuff that has belts and transports. The only used one I've found says it doesn't play CD-R. And it's beyond my price ceiling. Ditto for the Alesis which, even discounted, is three-times my ceiling, new. It looks like a versatile unit but a bit beyond my needs and they're going for around $300 or better used. So not right now!

The NAD T585 looks like a fine unit. I looked at a lower-line NAD a few years ago. But both blow the whole idea of the "reasonbly" in the subject and the price range in the first post. But thanks. What would life be like without something to aspire to?

You mean other than the fact that it's no longer made? I have an aversion to buying used stuff that has belts and transports. The only used one I've found says it doesn't play CD-R. And it's beyond my price ceiling. Ditto for the Alesis which, even discounted, is three-times my ceiling, new. It looks like a versatile unit but a bit beyond my needs and they're going for around $300 or better used. So not right now!

The NAD T585 looks like a fine unit. I looked at a lower-line NAD a few years ago. But both blow the whole idea of the "reasonbly" in the subject and the price range in the first post. But thanks. What would life be like without something to aspire to?
    I've got a connection that sold NAD, let me know if you want me to research a price or get an opinion. He's given me good deals on last-year's leftovers a number of times.

I thought you HAD the Sony, and might re-purpose it as a CD player. I do remember something about it being finicky with CD-Rs, though.

je

Every time I see a thread on the PS-1 I feel like running to Snopes to debunk it.
    I'm a little confused .

Are you saying that you have extensive experience with the playstation and the good player statements aren't true ?

OR

you want to debunk it , as you believe such a thing just isn't possible ?

asking, because I've never tried it, do have one and will give it a go when the controller comes out of hiding.

. . . asking, because I've never tried it, do have one and will give it a go when the controller comes out of hiding.
    I have no experience. Back then I wouldn't let my kids have video games. We started with PS-2. All I'm saying is it has the feel of an urban legend but I've seen it repeated so often and with such fervent advocacy to afford it at least some cred. :dont-know (my favorite emoticon here)

I was open minded.

I bought one.

I sold it a few weeks for about what I paid for it. Certainly not the worst audio investment I ever made.

Widget

Talking WOW

Its in the mid 40's today and sunny, so I went for the 10 mile bike loop...in one of the thrifts I found a Playstation controller, and had given up on finding ours...so gambled a buck to see how valid all the opinions on this as a CD player really are.

Despite W's dismissal of it as a CD player , I was impressed. Lots of detail and sonically very smooth ...experienced NO dropouts, lots of dynamic range.

Downside:
    yup the interface is clunky ...yup, dont know if I want it out in the LR attached to the main system, unless I can hide it in the cabinet somewhere.

BUT...I will verify that it sounded great to me. Have never heard a $5K deck so I cant compare, but it sounded as good as my ES deck.

mine is the 1001 model.

JBL 4645
    How does one go about checking that the dynamic range is punchy? Connect it up to 31, band RTA and see the display light up across the full range depending on the frequency response of the mix?

Thread Information