Sorry. Every thread I look up using "search" seems to degenerate into a discussion of vinyl vs. CD, or worse.

OK, I'm cash poor having overspent on a recent purchase, but I'd like to upgrade my primary source. I currently have a Sony 5-disc CD-DVD changer that's several years old. DVD-NVD 655 progressive scan something-or-other. An even older single-play Sony CDP-991 I like a lot that was probably near TOTL a decade (or more) ago. And a H-K DVD22 I picked up cheap ($60) from the tent-sale because Harman praised if for it's audio quality: "Audiophile-grade 24-bit/192 kHz audio digital-to-analog converters ensure the highest possible fidelity and resolution, and the player uses premium-quality internal components in the audio signal path.". I'd like to do better, if I can.

There's lots of talk about the Oppo DV-980H mostly praising its DA converters and overall quality expecially for two-channel listening. Current price on the Oppo seems to be around $169 to my door. I can't tell if that comes with a remote, or not. In and around this price range is there something else I should be looking at, say in the up-to $250 range? I don't much care if it even has DVD capabilities though that seems hard to avoid these days. Therefore having the most-current D-TV technology is also unimportant with respect to this use.

Yeah, I know I could ask this question on AK, but . . . well, you know. I trust you guys and gals. I recall Heather, T-dome, and at least some others went with the next Oppo up, the DV-981HD which supposedly has better video at the sacrifice of some audio quality. Anyone have have experience with the 980H, or others in the "quality bottom-feeder" range? Preferably something that does not rely on a TV for its menu.

Thanks.