Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A guy without data is just another guy with an opinion.

A guy without data is just another guy with an opinion.

In my business data is king. On the other hand no data is better than bad data.

We have finite memory / storage in a race car so one must be selective and record whats important.

Rules to live by when setting up,

1 What am I trying to measure?

2 Why am I trying to measure it?

3 Is it relevant?

Rules to live by when interpreting data,

1 Is it believable?

2 Is it repeatable?

There are folks out there trying to make jack hammers out of pogo sticks and dissect insects with chain saws because they don't have the right tools and or the knowledge to do it right.

If one searches this site for measurement subject matter there is little if anything that shows up with direct query.

There are certainly some knowledgeable folks here with experience and equipment.

What I propose is we start a thread dedicated to each of the major types of measurements one would need to pursue this hooby we share, using the test type name as the thread title for direct routing when searching for that specific information.

The vitues why's and how's of say,

RTA Real Time Analysis
    ETC Energy Time Curve
    MLS Maximum Time Sequence
    TDS Time Delay Spectrometry
    IMP Impulse Time testing

I believe I can help a little, I have the current version of TEF. I have a fair amount of space to test in and can test outdoors with the weather as the only limitation.
    With TDS, bacground noise is of little concern. I love the fact that I can run ETC sweeps working out crossover and gain stuff while listening to music on the very speakers I am testing.

I also have the Polar ETC equipment that will map an acoustical space in true 3D locating sound sources and reflections with the same detail as measuring a speaker directly.

I have LEAP 5 Crossover Shop and Enclosure Shop as well as LMS. I have used this mostly for modeling as I am working on ensuring I am capable of collecting good data for proccessing. Also the LINEARX VI box for large signal electrical measurments.

I have a laser position sensor (came with our Spintron) that I think I have signal conditioned to be read by the TEF for cone position VS signal. This is yet to be calibrated.

This is a pretty serious hobby for me, and there is still much I have to learn. And much I can learn from you all.

So if I want to know about the virtues of MLS, how do I find find out here?

Will the folks with knowledge and equipment help me build a knowledge base on this site for the education of us all? With LEAP, CLIO, SMAART, TEF, and all the other stuff we collectively own we could do a lot.

Help me figure out the best way to approach this.

There is a large DIY population here that could use the help.

Thanks,
    Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    There are folks out there trying to make jack hammers out of pogo sticks and dissect insects with chain saws because they don't have the right tools and or the knowledge to do it right.

Sad, but true....

You bring up many good points and I am sure that if we approach this correctly many forum members could benefit from such a project. Where do we begin? How do we organize it? How do we make sense of it all so that the guy who doesn't know what a capacitor does and the fellow who builds his own electrostatic panels can talk with each other productively and in harmony?

Widget

Yeah why not, I am with Widget though. There has to be some basic skill level. It's not all that easy to start from the ground up. Basic books about measurements are a good way to start but even some of them require a basic knowledge of electronics. There are several good references scatered in different threads and some good articles up on the Stereophile sight that are a good overall primer as to why you measure certain things and what they tell you.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

I suggest coherence measurements also.

I have a few tools to use in the aid for the search for the truth.

Course you know the marketing guys are not going to like this.

Oldmics

If there is an accepted basic reference standard library, it might be good to float those titles to see what people think. If those references are acceptable, they might be used to resolve inevitable squabbles.

I know what a capacitor does, but reading Testing Loudspeakers can be a stern commitment. But, I know, it's good for me.

I would recommend "Testing Loudspeakers" by Joseph D`Appolito as an intermediate starting point read.

Math is there for those ambitious enough to use it.

Also broachs on computer testing equipment.Its a winner for the up and coming geeks.

Oldmics

How to oganize it is indeed the $64 question.

As for the productive and harmonious part, attempting to limit the missinformation may be a small defense against that. It will still get messy unfortunately.

Some level of knowledge must be assumed. I hope we can jump in for those who want to get beyond the SPL meter and embedded RTA.

What is the best tool or tools for the specific task and how to use it may be a start.

Take impeadance for example, one of the best tools for chasing down reflections, rattles, rubs and of course all things Thiel and Small. Not just for "what cap for this tweet"

I suppose we need to define the heading first. Impeadance for example, if someone wants to know what can be measured or the basics of how its done, what title would you give it? I am no expert in the forum search department.

Thank again.

Quote Originally Posted by Skywave-Rider View Post
    I know what a capacitor does, but reading Testing Loudspeakers can be a stern commitment. But, I know, it's good for me.
    I guess I am an uber geek... I found it an exciting read.

Widget

I like those books also. Whats wrong with us?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I guess I am an uber geek... I found it an exciting read.

Widget
    Stand proud!

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    The very first step, should we go forward with it, will be to take this off into a private forum, invite only. Google won't be able to touch it and neither will guests. Anyone asking for access will have to have a certain number of viable posts already and will have to pass by the steering committee, no lurkers.
    Guess I'm out!

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    "Thank you very much, see you in hell."
    There's a tattoo every knowledge parasite ought to be forced to wear.

Private forum is best, yes; otherwise, the thing gets knocked off the tracks in the first fifteen feet by guys asking dumbass questions instead of doing a little homework. I will promise to stay away.
    Out.

Great idea!

I like it!

Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

I suggest coherence measurements also.
    Absolutely, and maybe the place to start.

I am not well versed in the forum forum and really don't know where or how to start. It would be nice not to have it get so diluted as to be of little use,,,

I would hate to exclude anyone from help they may be seeking, including me, however I see how many of these threads go on and on with total disregard for the good advise given them.

What do the administrators kind enough to chime in think?

Thanks all.

I see that Zilch is suggesting Clio.Should this be our common denominator test device?

I think that a common denominator test device is a good idea BUT this immeadently starts to impose limitations in certain measurements due to the limitations of the tool.

I dont own Clio and would not mind investing in it.

However certain test devices (such as Clio) lend themselves better for testing componets or lower level db devices.

Where as test software such as SmaartLive is designed for hi db level(and more) larger system testing.

Are we planning testing of hi fi units or pro equipment?I know what Smaart will do but do not know all of the capacitys of Clio.

Oldmics

Thread Information