Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Crown - thermal shut down - Boo!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Both Crown and QSC are producing amps that are semi-pro at best and I'd be surprised if 20-30 years from now they'll still be around, while the old school Crowns are still in service.
    If you look at Crown's amp application chart, they break their applications into five categories: installed sound, portable P/A, touring, recording/broadcast, and Cinema. The XLS series is suggested for portable P/A and Cinema, only. Only the Macro-Techs and I-techs are listed for touring and installed sound. I suppose that says something, though the CDi, CTs, and Commercial Audio Series are also listed for installed sound, just not touring. Something for everyone and I guess Cinema needs must be far different than touring.

The good-old D-Series is the only amp suggested for broadcast and recording duty.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Caldwell View Post
    I used both, QSC PL2 series amps and Crown Macro Tech 3600's. The entry level QSC RMX series is really pretty good, far better than the Crown entry level low end amps.
    The only problem with the Crown Macro Tech's is the weight! I've been think about selling them and looking into the Crown I tech or the QSC PL3 series.

Mike Caldwell
    I'm with you on the RMX, I like better than the entry level Crown. I use a PL325 on my LSR 6332's and love it. My setup is in a finished basement and I keep the amp on the utility side, so fan noise is not a problem.

Allen

....So the 40 year old Crown DC300s were orginally designed for touring bands and cinema but many are used today in home theater and other home sound applications....

I guess that something too....

Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    ....So the 40 year old Crown DC300s were orginally designed for touring bands and cinema but many are used today in home theater and other home sound applications....
    I don't know about that. I bought my first Crown D150 over 35 years ago and they were a staple at a high-end stereo shop that was a JBL and McIntosh dealer. I'm pretty sure Crown started making amps to provide sound systems for churches and PAs after successfully producing reel-to-reels built for use by missionaries. I guess that's "touring". Doesn't sound like there was much competition then, or else the DC300 was just that far ahead of its time.

I don't know too many people still relying on their original DC300s in their primary systems today. There are quite a few using the developed versions, DC300A, Series-II, and the PS-series amps though. Just like I've been doing for over 35 years. Doesn't mean Crown's other stuff won't work at home, if you use them properly. They just may not be the best tool in the drawer. And all tools are not equally well made!

i run my crown ce2000 on my 4648 cabs in my theater room and i can run it all day playing club music to move watching and the fan hardly ever turns on . it is my frist crown amp and i have been very happy with it . the only time the fan well run for along time is if i run it full range . but as a sub amp it does a great job

I've been away in Detroit on business for 5 weeks or so. I did get a chance to come home for the weekend, however.

So I installed a variable speed pancake fan on the back of the unit and ran it at moderatly high volume for a few hours without issue.

I suppose I'll try a few other things, but for now, I guess I can conclude from this brief test that the unit needs some air flow to stay cool enough to avoid thermal shut down.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I don't know about that. I bought my first Crown D150 over 35 years ago and they were a staple at a high-end stereo shop that was a JBL and McIntosh dealer. I'm pretty sure Crown started making amps to provide sound systems for churches and PAs after successfully producing reel-to-reels built for use by missionaries. I guess that's "touring". Doesn't sound like there was much competition then, or else the DC300 was just that far ahead of its time.

I don't know too many people still relying on their original DC300s in their primary systems today. There are quite a few using the developed versions, DC300A, Series-II, and the PS-series amps though. Just like I've been doing for over 35 years. Doesn't mean Crown's other stuff won't work at home, if you use them properly. They just may not be the best tool in the drawer. And all tools are not equally well made!
    If you are refering to the notches in the spanner as being of poor manufacture, there are a few manufacurers that do this on purpose. When you need to pull on the spanner, the notches don't allow the spanner to slip off the nut. I have a set that look like this as well and I was pissed when I got them home until I red the blurb and tested it for myself. They have saved my knuckles on more than one ocasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    If you are refering to the notches in the spanner as being of poor manufacture, there are a few manufacurers that do this on purpose. When you need to pull on the spanner, the notches don't allow the spanner to slip off the nut. I have a set that look like this as well and I was pissed when I got them home until I red the blurb and tested it for myself. They have saved my knuckles on more than one ocasion.
    Quite the contrary. That's a Snap-on Flank Drive wrench. I may be a cheap bastard on many things, but I won't use cheap tools. My hands deserve it, as does my patience.

Snap On, I called it.
    Trivia;
    I bought the Snap On guys trade-in. What kind of shape do you think it was in?

Quote Originally Posted by mikebake View Post
    What kind of shape do you think it was in?
    The shoemaker's kids?

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    The shoemaker's kids?
    Nope. Perfect.

I have Snap-on tools - great stuff.

Their new stuff grabs the heads in the center not the edges....

Thread Information