Thread: Help! Valencia 846a

Help! Valencia 846a

The horn on one of my 846a's seems to be having a problem producing as 'bright' and transparent mids and highs as it's counterpart. The horn is sounding somewhat 'flat' and the woofer is getting much more mid and high end than it should be. I have checked my amp, changed speaker sides, cable, etc.; but am still having an issue. I messed with the 'high frequency attentuator' to see if it was just a crossover issue; in the midst of this I took it to the lowest crossover point I could and it seemed as if the woofer was still taking way more high-end than it should be. I have the other speaker set around a 4.5 - 5 on a scale of 10...

I haven't tried everything I can think of, but I wanted to bounce it off you guys to see if any of you have encountered this before and get a little bit better of an idea of what I'm looking for when I tackle it again later tonight...

Thanks in advance.

http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/

The guys at Great Plains have a very good reputation for Altec repairs. I am no expert but sounds like a crossover issue to me.

Good luck,

Mark

...the diaphragms are made from aluminum and they age with time.... you may need new frams in your compression drivers.....

Try switching the HF compression drivers from left to right; if it is a crossover issue the problem will stay with the cabinet, I suppose. If the problem follows the driver, you may need new frams.

...always replace these in pairs....

Anyway, see Great Plains Audio on the Net.....

OH NO!!! Not another Valencia thread!!!!!

Follow the advice already posted and swap hf drivers into each other box to eliminate the crossover. The aluminum driver ages as does the caps in the "crossover."

Do a search for Valencia and you will find a mountain of data done a couple of years ago by many of the brightest minds here. The conclusion was that the Valencia 846a exhibits no real VHF. It falls off at 7-8K really quickly. The crossovers were examined and found not to be a traditional crossover, more like a simple filter.

Some "fixes" were discussed using a completely different HF driver with a compensation network. I installed these new drivers and components from user:Zilch and auditioned them for a total of three hours before they went back to their rightful owner.

Please follow the advice already posted and check your drivers and N800f crossovers. If necessary, I have a lone N800f on the shelf. I also have some older altec drivers that are doing nothing but sitting here.

Just recognize that the Valencia is not the be-all, end-all in hi-fi speakers anymore.

Respectfully Submitted,

Scotty.
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC² ±3db

Quote Originally Posted by SMKSoundPro View Post

Just recognize that the Valencia is not the be-all, end-all in hi-fi speakers anymore.

Of course not, the Model Nineteen is.

Quote Originally Posted by SMKSoundPro View Post

Whaaaat!? That's a completely ridiculous and liabless notion that these are not the most amazing speakers ever created by humans! In fact, they were probably made by the same aliens that built the Mayan temples they're so fantastic... Just kidding, these are my first foray into starting a decent system and I had my heart set on 604's, but couldn't find a pair locally. I listened to these and thought they'd at least be a good entry for myself being only 24.

I really appreciate your guy's input and knowledge. I'll let you know if I get it narrowed down.

If I do determine that it is the crossover, I may consider replacing them with something better...

Thread Information