Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you choose one sub1500 or two 2226JPL?

Would you choose one sub1500 or two 2226JPL?

Would you choose one sub1500 or two 2226JPL for a home theater setup. I can get the two 2226JPLs for the same cost as the one SUB1500. Any opinions on which would be better and why?

Two sub1500's............
    sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by mikebake View Post
    Two sub1500's............
    sorry.

while that would be ideal I can only find one sub1500 to purchase. How is the 2226 for this application? Would I be better off getting the SUB1500 to use now and hope I run across another for sale sometime in the future

2226 is high powered mid-bass driver

sub1500 is a dedicated subwoofer driver.

What is you exact application?

Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

Low frequencies for home theater as well as music. I currently have two 3 way boxes with 10" woofers and need more low end power. Overall size of the system is a concern, my dad has a JBL Paragon and my wife isn't interested in having something that massive in the house.

I'm also open to any other recommendations for speakers for this type of application, these two just happened to be what this guy has for sale.

One SUB1500 would be much better than none, and better than many others. Put it into a 2.5cuft sealed box, add a BASH 540w plate amp and its good to go, for both movies and music.
    Living in the Land of the Sun

How does the 2235 compare to the 2226 and the SUB1500?

The SUB1500 looks attractive to me because of its performance in a fairly small enclosure. If I went with the 2226s I'm going to have to build some fairly large boxes and then try to convince my wife that they aren't that big lol. What would I be giving up by only having the one SUB1500? From what I've heard the SUB1500 is impressive, but could it hold its own against two 2226s?

I happen to have a sub1500 for sale. Then you would have two. Problem solved. If interested, send me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xanax View Post
    From what I've heard the SUB1500 is impressive, but could it hold its own against two 2226s?
    As spkrman said, they have two different applications. 2226 is not a sub driver.

How does the 2235 compare to the 2226 and the SUB1500?
    The 2235H is a full service woofer that will sorta kinda do sub duty. It is well suited as a woofer in a studio monitor or hi-fi application. It will work nicely as a sub for music, but for HT it can be overwhelmed. The 2226H/J is a sound reinforcement type woofer with far greater output capability but reduced VLF output capability. It really will not play low well at all.

What would I be giving up by only having the one SUB1500?
    SPL. If you have a small room one may work. For a medium sized room I'd highly recommend two, and for a large room even more would be required.

From what I've heard the SUB1500 is impressive, but could it hold its own against two 2226s?
    Not really applicable, this is an apples and oranges question.

Widget

Thanks for all the input, I think for the time being I'm going to go with one (maybe two if I can justify the cost to the wife) SUB1500. I already get complaints about the floor upstairs shaking with my current setup so I think the SUB1500 will give me the lows I'm looking for without having to build massive boxes. Maybe some time in the future I'll do a rebuild and replace the 10s in my boxes with a pair of 2235s in addition to the SUB1500.

I already get complaints about the floor upstairs shaking with my current setup so I think the SUB1500 will give me the lows I'm looking for without having to build massive boxes.
    I was able to rattle the skylights on the roof from my basement HT with a air of Sub1500s... if that is your criterion, one may do the trick.

In addition to greater SPL, multiple subs will make it easier to control room modes, but it sounds like you are probably making the right decision. I'd recommend a real amp, I use a QSC on my subs, Crowns are also good, and I would toss in a DSP like the SMS-1 from Velodyne. With this power and control combined with a Sub1500, you can have absolutely SOTA bass performance in your room.

Widget

My dad has a vintage Marantz 300DC he isn't using that I can have to drive that sub if I want it. Would that be ok or should I be driving it with a modern amp?

Modernity isn't the issue...

I just looked up the specs... that wouldn't be my first choice in amps. That Marantz appears to have a smallish power supply that won't source all the current necessary for this 4 ohm woofer to really run at it's best. That said, free is key. If it was between the best possible amp and no DSP and using a free amp with the DSP, I'd go with using the free amp with the Velodyne SMS-1.

Widget

I used a Crown K2 for 3~4 years to drive my pair of sub1500s. It provided very good bass.
    But then two things came to mind. First I wanted to setup my TT system in the same room using the sub1500s, but I needed sub crossovers.
    And second, it occurred to me that using a stereo amp (K2) for the subs in a HT, that although I was getting very good bass, I wasn't getting the LFE channel. So I figured I kill two birds with one stone, replace the K2 with a pair of BASH plate amps.
    I actually got almost twice the cash for the K2, as what a pair of the BASH amps cost, from PE.

And those plate amps rock, as in rock the floor, with the sub menu in the AVR set to -10db, and the VC on the plate amps only between 1/4~1/3 of their total travel. And they're still 10db hotter than the other 7 channels.
    Living in the Land of the Sun

Thread Information