Thread: new to this forum.. Hi.. need some reccomendations for the JBL C60 Soverign

new to this forum.. Hi.. need some reccomendations for the JBL C60 Soverign

Hi folks,

I'm new to this forum and have some questions regarding extracing maximum performance from my JBL Soveriegns.

Mine are the ones with the 375 horn and the bullet tweeter.

For years, I ran a McIntosh C26 preamp into a McIntosh 2505 (50 wpc) into my JBLs,

but a fellow audiophile turned me onto the idea of bi=amping and then tri=amping once i was able to upgrade.

the speakers are completely original and sound fantastic... but i could use some help with suggestions on matching the best gear to that system.

i wasn't able to afford, or find, a decent crossover that would do three way, but i did find a unit by Pyramid... which appears to be a dj type crossover.

it has multiple crossover adjustments, but fixxed slope of 12db per octave,, which i'm not sure is a good thing for these speakers.

I'm using my Mac 2505 into the horns and tweeters, and a Soundcraftsman pa2x200 (which is 200wpc) into the 15s.

can anyone tell me what the ideal setup would be?

I am currrently bidding on a Pioneer SF850 crossover (as i'm told that is about as good as it gets for vintage crossover gear without spending thousands.)

and i just came into a McIntosh MC275 amp...

i am thinking about selling the Soundcraftsman amp, and using the MC275, but i'm not sure i want to mix solid state and tube amps on the same speakers...

i have to have my MC2505 fixed, so that might wind up for sale as well, in which case i'd find a second Mac tube amp.

can anyone lend some advice as to what the absolute best thing to do with these speakers would be?

I listen to all types of music... classical to classic rock and jazz.

many thanks

aaron

[email protected]

Bi-amp the C60's, use a pair of Crown PS-400 amps with a VFX-2 Crown crossover. Very clean, I have a close family member who uses three PS-200's to tri-amp a Paragon. The results are impressive.

Thread Information