Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideas/Suggestions? I want to build a 2x14 bass guitar cabinet

Ideas/Suggestions? I want to build a 2x14 bass guitar cabinet

Just as the title reads. I've got some Le14h's that the original owner refoamed poorly and on the wrong side, not to mention, one of the cones has been punctured.

I was looking at this empty TruSonic cabinet I have and thought of how cool of a bass cab that would be with a couple of 14s. Does anyone have any clue on how far off I am here?

Is it a complete waste of time? Ideas to make it viable?

Although I have never tried Bass with LE14's, I would think that you will smoke them in no time flat. Best to go with an E140 or the like.

I would never do it with foam-edged drivers, myself. I've never seen any good come from that practice, only bad.

je

More info needed

What is the application? Just for practice at moderate SPL or high SPL for gigs? What kind & power of amp will be used?

For bass use 12" or 15"

A LE14 will not handle the power levels! I use D140F, K140F or E140 for bass.
    You could use 4 K120/E120s in a cabinet but you may not get the deep lows with them. If you want 4 speakers make 2 cabinets with 2-15", this will easier to handle and mover around than a huge box with 4-15" in it. John

Quote Originally Posted by sonofagun View Post
    What is the application? Just for practice at moderate SPL or high SPL for gigs? What kind & power of amp will be used?
    Definitely just for at home practice. I don't need to break out any windows. I might occasionally want to "rock out" but I don't require earthquake accompaniment.

I have an old Crown Com-Tech 410 laying around that I considered... it does 205 per channel or 425 into 8 ohm bridged. Of course, I don't have to give it full power. I am also open to any other suggestions here.

Thanks for your replies

engines at full scotty

"give it full power" ?

There are no "power" controls on amplifiers, just gain. A peak that generates enough voltage swing will kill the woofers no matter where you set it.

Figure the LE14s to last about 1 song. Did that for a bass player back in the 80's and he was a lounge lizard.

sub

LE14 is for playback of recorded music.

Quote Originally Posted by oldsoundz View Post
    Definitely just for at home practice. I don't need to break out any windows. I might occasionally want to "rock out" but I don't require earthquake accompaniment.

I have an old Crown Com-Tech 410 laying around that I considered... it does 205 per channel or 425 into 8 ohm bridged. Of course, I don't have to give it full power. I am also open to any other suggestions here.

Thanks for your replies
    When Fender started using JBL speakers they took stock D130s, they didn't last very long. So JBL started making the "F" series which could handle higher power levels and the demands of "live" music. John

Quote Originally Posted by jcrobso View Post
    When Fender started using JBL speakers they took stock D130s, they didn't last very long. So JBL started making the "F" series which could handle higher power levels and the demands of "live" music. John
    Harvey's gone into the "why we created the F series" here a couple of times, I think I remember it being more because of Fender over-tightening the speaker frames than higher power handling. I could be wrong, though.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ad.php?t=16704

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ad.php?t=14876

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ad.php?t=10552

je

Oldsoundz, have we answered your inquiry?

If you are interested in a more novel design, I would, from experience, suggest you get ahold of the Speaker Builder Mag issue from the early 1980's, with the article "Build a bass tri-horn cabinet for live bass guitar" (Title approximate). When equipped with the preferred of two feasible drivers, an EVM 15" bass speaker, this design is a marvel of engineering. It features [relatively] light weight, superior portability, and above all excellent performance. I think the JBL K or E 140 was also
    a compatible choice but the designer preferred the
    EV for ultimate performance in this design. The project is also fairly easy to construct and has a low materials cost.

Thanks for all your info

Thanks to everyone who chimed in. I appreciate you all saving me from an upset

I just picked this all tube Ampeg VT-22 up last night, with original Altec 417-8h Series II's. 100 watt (conservative) RMS.

This is my second VT-22, I love them. Any ideas on how the EVM15(b?) design would match up? Can it handle the power?

The VT-22 is the same as a V4/V4B which has a history of being used for bass and for guitar.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

How much (I'm sitting down)?

Other good amp

Hello,
    My old Fender Twin Reverb Silverface amplifier was equipped with JBL.
    Very good sound.
    Stéphane
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by sonofagun View Post
    How much (I'm sitting down)?
    I paid the modest sum of $300 for this little gem.

In further looking at it, I find that the dolly it sits on is Ampeg and was probably purchased with the amp. Aside from the obvious ugly on the grill cloth, this amp is in VERY GOOD condition.

All original 7027a power tubes look perfect. The gent who I acquired it from said he played it twice in the 12 years he owned it and one of those times was to let me check it out. WOW!

I am going to take it and have it checked by my amp guy and have any needed work done. Get a new grill cloth and this thing will be like new.

BTW Stephane, nice lookin Fender! I think those are the first orange ferrite drivers I've seen.

What did you give?

Thread Information