Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My L250 project

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    Best part is that including rebuilding one tweet, replacing 2 mids and re-foaming the 14s myself, I have less than $500 in them.
    If that's a depression in the right-side LE14 dust dome, have you tried gentle suction with a home vacuum-cleaner hose nozzle? I tried it on a 128H-1 but it didn't pop out until I hit the dent with a gentle spritz of tap water in a spray bottle. A few second later it popped out perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by shaansloan View Post
    Now we want to know how your gonna get all those LSeries into your Avatar?
    That's not a problem, the problem is getting them all to assemble in one place and pose for the picture.

That's not a problem, the problem is getting them all to assemble in one place and pose for the picture.
    That's why there's Photoshop (or equivalent). Still, there's nothing like having the whole family together.
    Out.

L250 Ht

Here they are in their new home. That's a 61" display being dwarfed by the L250s. In surround positions are L150As and L112s, and that's my custom center on top.

All I can say about the L250 is that it's growing on me rapidly. Running on my Sunfire Signature 5x 400W amp, they really gobble up the power. Even at reference levels they are warm and comfortable to the ears. I'm finding no objectionable qualities at all. Even compared to the PS1400/PT800 they replaced, they hold their own remarkably well.

Anyone running L250s on less than 250W is cheating themselves out of a real treat.

For the techno geeks, here's what my Yamaha's PEQ did with the L250s:
    (as you can see, the L and R are in very different placements. both speakers have the mid-bass bar set to -1.5db, and all other bars at 0db. The PEQ is set for a flat response, has max 7 bands)

Left:
    80Hz: -7.5db
    125Hz: -6db
    320Hz: +4.5db
    630Hz: -4db
    3.2KHz: -1db
    8KHz: +2.5
    16KHz: -1.5db

Right:
    40Hz: -9db
    80Hz: -5db
    125Hz: -7.5db
    320Hz: +6db
    2KHz: -3db
    4KHz: +3db
    16KHz: -3db
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Looks good. Nice job!
    Out.

That's a 61" display being dwarfed by the L250s.
    Next you'll be telling us that's a 3-Cell D Maglite flashlight on the TV stand!

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Next you'll be telling us that's a 3-Cell D Maglite flashlight on the TV stand!
    5-cell.

LOL, the one L250 sticks way out into the traffic pattern, might have to install a bumper.

I'm loving the L250 more each day, especially since they went into the big room.

Time to start collecting parts for a 250ti conversion I think. Any 250ti crossovers needing a good home? As is, the L250 is a surprisingly good match for the PS towers and PC600. With the 250ti conversion, that situation could only improve.

One thing is that I'm convinced I can hear the effects of the time-alignment baffle, and I like it a lot. The PS does not have that "extra something" that the 250 has. The PS has dispersion and accuracy that the 250 tends to lack, so it's a trade-off. But they have a lot more in common than not.

One thing is that I'm convinced I can hear the effects of the time-alignment baffle, and I like it a lot. The PS does not have that "extra something" that the 250 has. The PS has dispersion and accuracy that the 250 tends to lack, so it's a trade-off. But they have a lot more in common than not.
    Have never heard the L250, but the 250ti has pretty good dispersion and accuracy , afraid that by the time you converted the L250 , the same money would be spent as just outright buying the 250ti's ?

with L250's at about 1K$ and 250ti's at about 1.5k$ , it may be more efficient to sell yours and buy the ti's ....unless you dont have enough projects and do have too much time.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Have never heard the L250, but the 250ti has pretty good dispersion and accuracy , afraid that by the time you converted the L250 , the same money would be spent as just outright buying the 250ti's ?

with L250's at about 1K$ and 250ti's at about 1.5k$ , it may be more efficient to sell yours and buy the ti's ....unless you dont have enough projects and do have too much time.
    The drivers can be had for very little, it's the XO that's the hard part to come by. I could make lots of $ by selling these, but something tells me I never will. I may buy 250ti anyway, but unless I find them locally I doubt it. Shipping would cost more than I have in these here, and prolly more than the conversion would cost. So I have lots of room in these to play around.

I bought a set of beat 250 for experimenting but also to hold my spares for the TIs .When sonically finished they will be TIs. the drivers are in, I have not installed the XO yet. I plan to put them as rears for the system just to play, replacing a set of 120s but they need too much work too leave there as they sit now.

My TIs have CC TIBQ XO Which came from Europe. The amount of effort to fit those in place was not worth the damage and time spent. Look for originals!

If you sell thw 14-1 you could probably almost pay for new 14-3 with the rubber surrounds

I envy the appearance of your speakers, great job

Mark
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

My L250 project

As you recall from my post on a different thread I'm doing exactly what you've done with impressive results. I have a few of questions:

1. The gray foam material around the 14" woofer is tearing in places. I assume that when people talk about "re-foaming" they're talking about replacing this foam ring. I plan to take this to a JBL-authorized speaker repair place here in LA. Any advice or guidance on this?

2. What finish did you use? I smiled when I saw your pictures showing the sun bleaching; mine have the same. Like you I don't believe I'll bother fixing it.

3. Where did you get the replacement speaker grill cloth?

4. The sticky seal gasket behind the tweeter access panel: what did you replace it with? Mine's mostly intact but there's an 8" length that came off.

Thanks for your advice. Here's hoping that my speakers come out looking as good as your.

--bg

Quote Originally Posted by barryg View Post
    As you recall from my post on a different thread I'm doing exactly what you've done with impressive results. I have a few of questions:

1. The gray foam material around the 14" woofer is tearing in places. I assume that when people talk about "re-foaming" they're talking about replacing this foam ring. I plan to take this to a JBL-authorized speaker repair place here in LA. Any advice or guidance on this?
    Please use either Orange Co Speaker or the local person, Edgewound. The 14s are not difficult to re-do, but can be screwed up by the wrong person.

2. What finish did you use? I smiled when I saw your pictures showing the sun bleaching; mine have the same. Like you I don't believe I'll bother fixing it.
    I used Formby's low gloss Tung Oil. If you prefer not to use any urathane, the standard JBL oil recipe is available here. (Linseed and turpentine). If I were doing it again I'd use a little walnut stain to fix the bleaching on the front baffle only. Note that the turpentine recipe stinks to high heaven.

3. Where did you get the replacement speaker grill cloth?
    http://www.acoustimac.com/index.php?...emart&Itemid=1 The brown is a near exact match for JBL brown.

4. The sticky seal gasket behind the tweeter access panel: what did you replace it with? Mine's mostly intact but there's an 8" length that came off.
    Mine stayed intact. You can use anything you like as long as it seals and doesn't stick. Even cardboard might be fine. If there's any notches or gaps, maybe rubber?

Orange Co Speaker will be convenient as I make bi-weekly visits to Irvine.

Many years ago I finished a table using 1/3 Tung oil, 1/3 Lindseed oil, and 1/3 Varathane. That worked nicely on maple. I wonder how it would work with walnut? I'll ask around. Since you said that, given a second chance, you would use some stain perhaps I'll reconsider.

Thanks. This is really, really helpful.

--bg

5-cell.

Time to start collecting parts for a 250ti conversion I think. Any 250ti crossovers needing a good home? As is, the L250 is a surprisingly good match for the PS towers and PC600. With the 250ti conversion, that situation could only improve.
    Well one big thing your missing is that the 250Ti cabinet is constructed from MDF, versus the particle board the L250 is constructed out of. I think you'll have a better/easier time finding a complete pair of 250Ti's that need work, or not instead of building a pair from L250's. ?

Tweets: $400.00 plus dollars
    X-overs: The last set I bought ran me $600.00. NIB NOS.
    LE14H-3 woofers as an upgrade: $600.00 plus dollars. (if you can find them)
    NLA from JBL.
    Jeff-S1A

I have bascially finished my upgrade, just waiting for reconed woofers to find there way home!

I have L250 & TIs. I purchase a CC XO from Guido in europe. He supplied TIBQ XO upgrade (wouldn't recommend that swap, fitment is an issue) I used those XO from the originals.

I have at 7 pairs of speakers which use the 044ti tweeter and 104h drivers so over the past 3 years I purchased where I could spares, mainly ebay and sometime paid too much, supply and demand. I want to build a custom center so I had spares for the project and also had an extra 1 or 2 for my spares in general. I have a set 0f 120 for spare parts on top of my spares.

The 108h I was able to buy 1 set new during 1 of JBLs now available moments and the same with 14-3 I used the originals from the TI for original 250s to finish the upgrade. The 108 and 14-1 are the same in the 2 series but mine were either missing or damaged greatly (108s are looking for recones, 14-1 will be back soon from recones).

There is another thread where someone is looking for the 044ti. recommendation is buy the 18TIs and use the tweeters and keep looking for spares where you can.120TI have both the 104h and the 04TI tweeter watch for those

In another thread

Battery dead so i hope this makes sense and i have no time to edit..
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

Thread Information