Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Records are Back!

Hmmm... I wonder if new albums that are released on vinyl exclusively sell more copies than the more easily ripped digital versions? Just a thought. If that is what it takes to keep high fidelity alive, I'll buy in.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Hmmm... I wonder if new albums that are released on vinyl exclusively sell more copies than the more easily ripped digital versions? Just a thought. If that is what it takes to keep high fidelity alive, I'll buy in.

Widget
    From what I've seen, many new LPs come with coupons for free digital downloads of the material. Imagine that - they actually save you the trouble if you just buy a new LP.

Is the music industry finally getting a clue ?

jblnut

Just found my original AR3 catalog

gotta love a tracking force gauge for a buck and $7.50 speaker stands
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    gotta love a tracking force gauge for a buck and $7.50 speaker stands
    I SURE don't remember AR turntables being shock resistant!
    I remember them being VERY prone to bass feedback - a friend had one and we had to hunt all over the room to find just the right place where it didn't jump every time the record had bass or a thump!

We have Emma's old AR table in storage ... if needed - but the Denon does good for the times we play vinyl.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Well it should tell you something that their advertisement indicates that a $1 tracking force gauge is accurate enough to be used in their plant - especially given that it has a 10% margin of error!

Heather, any chance you'd be willing to get that turntable out of the attic and smack it with a hammer a few times while it's playing - y'know, just for a scientific test of AR's truth in advertising?

Best,
    - Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBrewster77 View Post
    Well it should tell you something that their advertisement indicates that a $1 tracking force gauge is accurate enough to be used in their plant - especially given that it has a 10% margin of error!

Heather, any chance you'd be willing to get that turntable out of the attic and smack it with a hammer a few times while it's playing - y'know, just for a scientific test of AR's truth in advertising?

Best,
    - Mike
    No doubt Emma would yell at me for abusing her gear -
    nope, it stays in the attic - baking away!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Excellent idea.

I've been trying to figure out to do with this POS Kenwood receiver my better half brought home with the best of intentions, without hurting anyone's feelings.
    Shove it in the attic for a few years until it melts - problem solved!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBrewster77 View Post
    Excellent idea.

I've been trying to figure out to do with this POS Kenwood receiver my better half brought home with the best of intentions, without hurting anyone's feelings.
    Shove it in the attic for a few years until it melts - problem solved!
    yeah, I got an old Dual and a Sansui 3000 receiver a few months back - ought to hook them up and see if they even work, but been busy with yard projects - and the L100T interests me a lot more ...

I had a high fallutin Dual all through the 80s, I think it was from the late 70s, had a Shure V15 Type II cartridge

Got smashed in the 1989 Loma Preita Earthquake when my whole stereo case tipped over and landed on it.

Replaced it 'temporarily' with an inexpensive Technics belt drive quartz job, put a $75 Grado cartridge on that $80 turntable... damn, that setup sounded cleaner than the old Dual had, was nicer to use, and everything. Also less prone to feedback. Still using it, never bothered to upgrade. Probably due for a new stylus on that grado, tho... good thing they still make a compatible stylus, heh.

BMW riding the record

Smallest self-running record player in the world licensed by BMW:
    http://www.razy-works.com/shop/shop_e/index.html
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Best that can be said of that little gadget is that the name is a very accurate description of it's function: It does indeed kill vinyl. Been around since the 70's in various incarnations, including a VW bus, which makes sense given that you would have to be tripping on acid to enjoy sound out of the tiny, moving speaker all while not worrying about destroying your vinyl collection.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...lbum-sales.ars

Industry insiders say that the big four record labels are working with Apple to boost full album sales, as individual songs have come to dominate digital downloads. A project called "Cocktail" is reportedly underway and set to launch this fall, which will bundle interactive "booklets" including artwork, liner notes, and other content with a full album purchase.

"It's all about recreating the heyday of the album when you would sit around with your friends looking at the artwork, while you listened to the music," one executive familiar with the plans told Financial Times. The problem is that most of today's digital music audience has little or no recollection of the album's heyday.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    No doubt Emma would yell at me for abusing her gear -
    If it has the AR rubber platter cover..store it somewhere else...they melt inot a goo thats nearly unremoveable.

Quote Originally Posted by CONVERGENCE View Post
    Oh no!

With only 50 DB of dynamic range compared to 96 DB with 16 bit 44 KHZ CD's. And not to mention that any sound below 200HZ is in MONO. And that each time you play it, it wears . PLus the friction of the needle .

Thanks but no thanks.
    then by ALL MEANS dont spin records if they are SOooo bad....leaves me more to pick up..
    bet the SACD and DVDA boys say similar things about your CD's ...and the lossless digital guys say similar things about them.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

If they would just bundle real cocktails with the albums, they might be on to something.

Oh no!

With only 50 DB of dynamic range compared to 96 DB with 16 bit 44 KHZ CD's. And not to mention that any sound below 200HZ is in MONO. And that each time you play it, it wears . PLus the friction of the needle .

Thanks but no thanks.

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Quote Originally Posted by jblnut View Post
    From what I've seen, many new LPs come with coupons for free digital downloads of the material. Imagine that - they actually save you the trouble if you just buy a new LP.

Is the music industry finally getting a clue ?

jblnut
    the latest Depeche Mode Album on vinyl came with the CD on disc too...

Thread Information