Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Records are Back!

...We are but a few, the developed few, developed by a mutual quest.

And the Gods made love. As the ancient goddess Minerva pondered an alternative to her mundane existence, a question of meld...It came in a vision....the Greek God Eros.... a proposition presented. Furor abounded. Minerva, undaunted, set the sails. She would in all clandestine maneuver....meet. Circumscriptions agreed...the stratagem advanced. Eros procured the necessary artifacts and bounded aloft towards the heavens. Minerva elated, followed at pace.
    Eros positioned this drawn marble disc in circumlunar course. Minerva drew a sliver of her silken hair and with a flare of solar cooperation, crystallized not only the knife of transferal, but the vehicle of adulation. Eros with coruscation, stationed the object of their ardency. "Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon" 30th Anniversary Edition on 200 gram vinyl.

Thanks Tom and Scott.

You sure it wasn't the Cisco records recent release of Steely Dan's Aja they were after ? I just got mine after reading one rave review after another all over the web. This may be one of the best - if not THE best - record I've ever heard.

If you're a Dan fan and still into vinyl, this one is worth every penny.....

jblnut

.............So many selections.......

...so little resource. Thanks. Another to add to the list. When an opportunity arises, the list comes out of my pocket and a choice is made. Every time I'm shopping, I scan the racks of media looking for anything interesting or of such value that a purchase is made. Yesterday a welcomed find...The Who, Who's Next. It's been on my list for a while and here it pops up for $4.99 on CD. Don't know the manufacturer, doesn't matter. It does sound excellent, Pete's acoustic guitar and electric circular pounding of a Gibson Les Paul, or SG. Saw Diana Krall in the rack too, Best hits or something. Read the label, already have most of the cuts on other discs. Now a suggestion by you. I will look for it, maybe find a sample online. Either way suggestions by others too have expanded my library with a multitude of music genres, all worth an expenditure. This site has been beneficial not only to my understanding of high-end audio, but the consequential media to be enjoyed everyday I exist. I have heard cuts by Dan on the radio, it's a matter of what for how much. The importance you've communicated in your suggestion has placed it in the find it category. Total agreement with you on this one warrants a star too. Enjoy ! Jeenie.

Go here at your own peril...

They sent me the catalog with my record....OMG...so many, many things I'd like to hear. Gotta prioritize.....

:-)

www.musicdirect.com

jblnut

Quote Originally Posted by jblnut View Post
    They sent me the catalog with my record....OMG...so many, many things I'd like to hear. Gotta prioritize.....
    :-)
    www.musicdirect.com
    jblnut
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    go here .... http://www.musicdirect.com/free_catalog.php

get catalog ....nearly EVERYTHING is available on vinyl.

they even have LP's @ 45 rpm

prices OK ....its a great read, if nothing else.
    thats what I was trying to tell you all, its a very nice catalog, lots of BG on the featured albums,,,they just sent out the SACD/DVD-A catalog yesterday, its puney in comparison.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

You sure it wasn't the Cisco records recent release of Steely Dan's Aja they were after ? I just got mine after reading one rave review after another all over the web. This may be one of the best - if not THE best - record I've ever heard.

If you're a Dan fan and still into vinyl, this one is worth every penny.....

jblnut
    I just cruised over to MD's site and read Fremer's review... I guess I'll give it a shot. This quote sold me, "The Mobile Fidelity piles on even more blobby bass and while the half speed high frequency groove etching is incredibly detailed and well-focused, it’s also been bleached and brightened and the upper mids have been sucked out to make the high frequency transients stick out.

This reissue’s bass is tight yet lithe, well-focused and harmonically complex, texturally detailed, solid and revealing. You'll follow the bass line tune with new ease."

I have always felt that all of the MoFi half speed discs were bloated on the bottom. I was very thrilled by the UHQR series which sounded fantastic, but the standard issue MoFi stuff was always not quite right... it sounds like this "audiophile" version might be worth checking out. Thank god I haven't played Aja in a decade or more... I heard it enough for a lifetime back then.

Widget

I hear you - I've played every Dan album to death over the years. The funny thing is that I'm not sick of them. I think that's the mark of a truly great album - you can hear it over and over and always find new and interesting things in the mix.

I find the highs on this particular album to be even more interesting that the bass. I can hear every nuance of Bernie Purdie working the cymbals. You can almost "see" him hitting them in a slightly different place each time, giving each beat a different texture. You won't hear that on your iPod .

My only vinyl copy of this was the (very crappy) MCA re-release, so it was pretty easy to justify. I do have the MoFi gold CD, which is pretty damn good. But this is better....

And kudos to Mr. Wolf again for pointing us all to the musicdirect website in the first place . My catalog has lots of magic marker in it already...so much to buy...so little free cash....

jblnut

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I just cruised over to MD's site and read Fremer's review... I guess I'll give it a shot. This quote sold me, "The Mobile Fidelity piles on even more blobby bass and while the half speed high frequency groove etching is incredibly detailed and well-focused, it’s also been bleached and brightened and the upper mids have been sucked out to make the high frequency transients stick out.

This reissue’s bass is tight yet lithe, well-focused and harmonically complex, texturally detailed, solid and revealing. You'll follow the bass line tune with new ease."

I have always felt that all of the MoFi half speed discs were bloated on the bottom. I was very thrilled by the UHQR series which sounded fantastic, but the standard issue MoFi stuff was always not quite right... it sounds like this "audiophile" version might be worth checking out. Thank god I haven't played Aja in a decade or more... I heard it enough for a lifetime back then.

Widget

Vinyl Never Left

No flames intended, but you guys should take a little time off from staring at your JBL's and get out more often.

It's winter here in case you hadn't noticed - this is the time of year to stay inside and enjoy the stereo. Once the warm weather gets here I'm outside doing a million other things.

If you've got something to contribute to this thread, by all means speak up. But heckling the moderators is not a hobby I'd encourage you to pursue.

jblnut

Quote Originally Posted by jaynemo View Post
    No flames intended, but you guys should take a little time off from staring at your JBL's and get out more often.

.........I concur.....

.....simply that, I concur. Funny my copy of MD and Acoustic Sounds is riddled with Sharpie circles too......the only problem is that for every order I compile, I'm looking at a C-note plus! I have to restore a couple radios and offer them on Craig's List to fund these excursions. So much fun and I've learned some basic electronics in the process. A win win situation across the board. I will not go into much detail on those adventures in tube radio resurrection, but tell you this. There's no better way to listen to the blues program Sunday mornings than on an old tube radio. Weekday mornings with breakfast on AM, early country and western music by the old standards of the genre. Sets the tone for the day!

Quote Originally Posted by jeenie67 View Post
    .....simply that, I concur. Funny my copy of MD and Acoustic Sounds is riddled with Sharpie circles too......the only problem is that for every order I compile, I'm looking at a C-note plus! I have to restore a couple radios and offer them on Craig's List to fund these excursions. So much fun and I've learned some basic electronics in the process. A win win situation across the board. I will not go into much detail on those adventures in tube radio resurrection, but tell you this. There's no better way to listen to the blues program Sunday mornings than on an old tube radio. Weekday mornings with breakfast on AM, early country and western music by the old standards of the genre. Sets the tone for the day!
    In the last two years of DJ,s using vinyl, the prices SKYROCKETED! 12in singles domestic went up to $10.99US, and import singles went up to $15.99US. And to boot, our long standing NYC specialty record retailers no longer had the selection as they once did, either a certain selection hadn't been pressed on vinyl, or the stores didn't order, because they didn't want to get stuck with stock they couldn't sell. AND the price increase DID affect sales, once upon a time our DJ vinyl shops were PACKED on Thurs, Fri, and Sat, but with the price increases the same stores were now empty, without customers. Basically, 5 records for almost $100.00, and people really began using CD,s!

And, now, the famous DJ,s that fly all over the world finally accepted the CD, because the cost wasn't nearly as high, the weight of lugging around record cases compared to 1 or 2 CD books, the vinyl shops not having selection, and that was that.
    scottyj

I was having problems with the cart howling when using the near proximity speakers or skipping with near footsteps.

Was cleaning the other day after reading about all the expensive anti-vibe solutions in the catalogs ( 4 antivibe feet for just $200 !!! etc etc ) , and found these 4 semi rigid hollow rubber thangs ....slipped them under the TT so that the hard rubber factory feet are just suspended in the air and = PRESTO !! = .....the TT now sounds fine under all conditions, even with bass that I can feel in my feet...they are about an inch tall.

Dont know what these are, or where you get them, but they sure worked for me
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Wink Everybody is listening to records

I bought "The Best of ELP" today, have never seen this cover and thot it was cool, cannot find it on Google...lots of other covers for this disk.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I bought "The Best of ELP" today, have never seen this cover and thot it was cool, cannot find it on Google...lots of other covers for this disk.

Nice One!

I've played piano since I was 5 and have always been in awe of Keith Emerson. He did things that were seemingly imposssible. Like:

Being strapped to his Steinway and having it lifted over the stage and rotated end over end while he played a piece of dazzling complexity.

or

Playing another of his dazzling compositions on a digital keyboard and then getting up halfway through and walking to the BACK SIDE of the keyboard and proceeding to play the rest from the WRONG side! Left is right and right is left, the black keys are in your way, etc, etc, etc. INSANE !!!!

ELP can be a little too serious and I like it in smaller doses these days, but DAMN could they play. My favorite is probably still Palmer's side on Works Vol 1 with some great guest work by Joe Walsh....

jblnut

ELP can be a little too serious and I like it in smaller doses these days, but DAMN could they play. My favorite is probably still Palmer's side on Works Vol 1 with some great guest work by Joe Walsh....
    jblnut

Smaller doses is good...

I went to Amazon and could not find this cover pic, and their "Best of" CD has different tracks, the Japanese cover LP has:

Thread Information