Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Records are Back!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Records are Back!

Greetings all,

Although I'm not as active on this forum as I once was, I do check in from time to time to see who is doing what. I thought I'd contribute a little here as I'm very excited that vinyl seems to be making a real comeback. I went up to my local music store the other day (Newbury Comics, Boston area) and was quite surprised to see a small section of brand new records. I was even more shocked to find audiophile versions of classic recordings and not just 12" R&B/House singles. They had many, many things to choose from and I know where my free money is going in the months to come.

Long story short, I left there with brand new, 180 gram copies of:

Van Morrison "Moondance"
    U2 "Joshua Tree"
    Santana "Abraxas"
    Hendrix "Axis Bold as Love"

I had to leave behind AC/DC, Allman Bros, Clapton, Grateful Dead, Rolling Stones, Floyd, etc. All were 180 gram audiophile records and most were reasonably priced (under $30). Some were under $20.

I'm excited as hell to be listening to absolutely stunning copies of classic records again. I invested in a new preamp finally (Mac C220) and an outboard MC step-up preamp (Pro-Ject Tube Box II) and once again the 250's have proved they still have more detail to give. I keep upgrading components over the years and every time they prove to me why I bought them.

JBL and classic vinyl...it's 1983 all over again, only better .

jblnut

Quote Originally Posted by jblnut View Post
    JBL and classic vinyl...it's 1983 all over again, only better
    Vinyl never left my favorite local record store... Amoeba Records, but your report is very good news indeed!

I don't go into audio shops much these days, but in the last year I did manage to pop into a couple and I have noticed far more turntables that I saw in them a decade or so ago.

BTW: How is the Joshua Tree album? I have the original CD and it is very disappointing.

Widget

They have a whole row of vinyl at my local Best Buy.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

go here .... http://www.musicdirect.com/free_catalog.php

get catalog ....nearly EVERYTHING is available on vinyl.

they even have LP's @ 45 rpm

prices OK ....its a great read, if nothing else.

In this months Stereopile magazine , they mention that LP's have many , many more titles available , and greatly outsell SACD's
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    go here .... http://www.musicdirect.com/free_catalog.php

get catalog ....nearly EVERYTHING is available on vinyl.

they even have LP's @ 45 rpm

prices OK ....its a great read, if nothing else.

In this months Stereopile magazine , they mention that LP's have many , many more titles available , and greatly outsell SACD's
    got my catalog today from AcousticSounds here==>>

http://store.acousticsounds.com/freecatalog.cfm

recommended, nice, glossy and with pretty good prices
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Photo Gallery: Making of LPs

A visit at PALLAS-Group 2008:
    http://www.analog-forum.de/wbboard/i...threadID=41288

Many pictures, text in German

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    BTW: How is the Joshua Tree album? I have the original CD and it is very disappointing.

Widget
    Well...it's a whole lot better than the CD I can say for sure. There were two different LP releases at the store, both on 180 gram disks. One was a single record and the other (for a few $ more) had it split onto two. I bought the two record set and I really like it. These guys aren't exactly studio wizards (or even really serious players but that's another discussion) but they can write a good song and this is one of their strongest releases I think. Bono's voice comes across very well but the mix is a bit dense at times. I think it's too much echo/delay on the guitar mostly.

I get where you're coming from - an "audiophile" recording of U2 is a bit of an oxymoron but this comes pretty close.

Hope I haven't offended any U2 fans here. I'm just talking about the recording and the mix - the music speaks for itself.

jblnut

Yes, there is small batch vinyl available, BUT, as for SERIOUSLY EXTENSIVE CATALOG of CURRENT POP MUSIC genres I don't know.

And those 180gr pressings are good, but, for the current pop, dance, etc, I don't know if we will ever see vinyl as we once had in abundance, that way.

Take the DJ/Club market for example, we used MORE vinyl than anyone, and Technics just DISCONTINUED The 1200 Turntable. This was a SERIOUS SELLER, and so was our vinyl.

Small batch, audiophile vinyl never actually went away. And, yes, Vinyl still has that Vinyl character everyone loves.
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by jblnut View Post
    These guys aren't exactly studio wizards (or even really serious players but that's another discussion) but they can write a good song and this is one of their strongest releases I think. Bono's voice comes across very well but the mix is a bit dense at times. I think it's too much echo/delay on the guitar mostly.
    I have always enjoyed the Rattle and Hum soundtrack versions of the J. Tree material better than the original studio mixes... I also enjoy the DVD, but it too is sonically challenged. Ultimately it is the music that matters, and especially back then, these boys connected.

Widget

..vinyl deals........

....................don't forget the Salvation Army....19 a copy..just hold them up to the light and go for it. And Goodwill....25 cents each..so what if you get a bad one I put em' under my plants to protect the carpeting.....and garage sales.........

I have about 400 records from the 60s, 70s and 80s and don't even have a turntable anymore! Got rid of my cheap TT meaning to get a better one but never did, because cds are so damn easy!

Send me a list I'll take them!
    I just bought a Technics SL-1210M5G turntable and Denon 160 cartridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Audiobeer View Post
    Send me a list I'll take them!
    I just bought a Technics SL-1210M5G turntable and Denon 160 cartridge.
    I'm much closer... I'll pick 'em up!

Widget

No No No those aren't for sale. I've been lookin' for a turntable, really.

.....................Yippee Yo Ky Ya ! .................

Just received an absolutely mint copy of Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys. $6 delivered from the bay. Brings back memories. Fired up the B&O TT to play it, just for those old feelings of........happiness....excitement with a new record! And ....oh..... just what I used to do years ago...call up some friends....come on over! BYOB .... I just got....and they came! ....again! love and miss the times gone by..relive em' I say!. Bought The Who, Who's Next on CD for $5 too this afternoon. Great album oops CD. Playing it now. Everything sounds great. Maybe it's the mindset....who cares....We had a great time all afternoon. Classes start Monday so we take advantage of this last week. I'll tell ya' these guys..and girls too..come over, take a seat and know they're about to have an experience, every time. One always follows me to the TT and watches as I swipe the grooves and dust the needle...smiling looking at me like I'm a scientist or something. Watching my every move. Everybody just stares at the rack of stuff and little blinking lights and ....... absorbs every wave of music! I think there's nothing like the series of operations one goes to putting on an album. It' a ballet of preparation for the opus. A time to discuss the content of the selection or who knows what. It's how I did it before and how I do it for my friends and me now, with no discerning words about the format or anything else. These guys (and girls) know better...they know they're in for something special...something they can't experience elsewhere...to me just a good stereo...to them, KILLER DUDE!!!

Thread Information