Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Records are Back!

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    go here .... http://www.musicdirect.com/free_catalog.php

get catalog ....nearly EVERYTHING is available on vinyl.

they even have LP's @ 45 rpm

prices OK ....its a great read, if nothing else.

In this months Stereopile magazine , they mention that LP's have many , many more titles available , and greatly outsell SACD's
    got my catalog today from AcousticSounds here==>>

http://store.acousticsounds.com/freecatalog.cfm

recommended, nice, glossy and with pretty good prices
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Photo Gallery: Making of LPs

A visit at PALLAS-Group 2008:
    http://www.analog-forum.de/wbboard/i...threadID=41288

Many pictures, text in German

Album cover art was great.
    scottyj

The media is catching on....

Talk about timely - my local paper ran an article today about the comeback of vinyl. There's even a picture of the store where I bought the records that started this thread.

http://telegram.com/article/20090211...ate=eworcester

The sales are up almost 90% from last year. Even a brain dead music exec can understand growth like that . What do you know - people *will* spend $20 on a single record if it's a quality product. Imagine that....

Oh - I also checked my local Best Buy this week and they only had a few scattered box sets so I don't think they are quite on board yet.

New this week for me - Roxy Music "Avalon" and SRV "Couldn't Stand the Weather". Both are 180 gram new releases that sound terriffic.

jblnut

Quote Originally Posted by jblnut View Post
    Talk about timely - my local paper ran an article today about the comeback of vinyl. There's even a picture of the store where I bought the records that started this thread.
    jblnut
    cool, thanx for the link JBLN

took this tt in on a trade the other day...have covered up the name to see if you guys can guess what it is ??
    Attached Images Attached Images  

But you didn't cover up the model # ...

Congrats on the new J......

There are some good reviews out there on it - I'm curious to hear what you think.

jblnut

The sales are up almost 90% from last year. Even a brain dead music exec can understand growth like that . What do you know - people *will* spend $20 on a single record if it's a quality product. Imagine that....jblnut

What's the going rate $ on a basic record, the non import type . Seems to me that paying $20.00 for a (lets say) talking heads LP would kinda tick me off since I could get if much cheaper on cd. I'm just curious, I have all my records from when I first started to get into music and recently friends have given me boxes of old records (which I gladly and wholeheartedly accepted) that they are never going to touch again...dont ask me why:dont-know

Point is, unless I was scoring them/lp's like Tom regularly does, I dont think I would be too willing to part with a $20 for a record, vinyl or not! Are a lot of people buying NEW vinyl or are the figures more directly related to used vinyl sales?
    Are most of us who still like records willing to play regular albums in decent shape or are there different schools of thought on this. Meaning that some people would only consider vinyl if its the higher quality stuff that is also considerably (I would think) more expensive?

Just Play Music.

But you didn't cover up the model # ...
    jblnut
    yeah, I saw the model number after posting, sure does look like a Denon ?

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    What's the going rate $ on a basic record, the non import type . Seems to me that paying $20.00 for a (lets say) talking heads LP would kinda tick me off since I could get if much cheaper on cd. I'm just curious, I have all my records from when I first started to get into music and recently friends have given me boxes of old records (which I gladly and wholeheartedly accepted) that they are never going to touch again...dont ask me why:dont-know

Point is, unless I was scoring them/lp's like Tom regularly does, I dont think I would be too willing to part with a $20 for a record, vinyl or not! Are a lot of people buying NEW vinyl or are the figures more directly related to used vinyl sales?
    Are most of us who still like records willing to play regular albums in decent shape or are there different schools of thought on this. Meaning that some people would only consider vinyl if its the higher quality stuff that is also considerably (I would think) more expensive?

I think you've hit on something there, Fred...most of my LP's cost from .50 to $2 and very rarely over that..for that rate, its a fun hobby if you have the access to the associated gear, media.

but.

If starting from scratch, buying new, ...it may not be economically advantageous in comparison to CD.

I bought some new non-audiophile (not 180 gram) records for $10-12. They still sound great too and audiophile or no, it's still vinyl. They aren't quite as quiet as the more expensive ones but that's the main difference.

I love 'em all, as long as they don't skip and they aren't groove damaged by a bad needle. Some pops and clicks don't really bother me that much. I still buy used ones both locally and on ebay. If you buy enough you can get 'em for $1 each or less.

I only spend $20 and up for records I *really* like - and - I know are well produced and will dazzle sonically.

jblnut

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I think you've hit on something there, Fred...most of my LP's cost from .50 to $2 and very rarely over that..for that rate, its a fun hobby if you have the access to the associated gear, media.
    Exactly! that would be my approach...low cash output, big Fun dividends!

I bought some new non-audiophile (not 180 gram) records for $10-12. They still sound great too and audiophile or no, it's still vinyl. They aren't quiet as quiet as the more expensive ones but that's the main difference.

I love 'em all, as long as they don't skip and they aren't groove damaged by a bad needle. Some pops and clicks don't really bother me that much. I still buy used ones both locally and on ebay. If you buy enough you can get 'em for $1 each or less.

I only spend $20 and up for records I *really* like - and - I know are well produced and will dazzle sonically.

jblnut
    Yup! I think we are on the same page here guys, I wud do the 20 but only under those conditions or for something old & rare.
    Just Play Music.

I love 'em all, as long as they don't skip and they aren't groove damaged by a bad needle. Some pops and clicks don't really bother me that much.
    jblnut
    I usually have the woodstove going, so the pops of the fire drowns out the pops of the vinyl.

I wud do the 20 but only under those conditions or for something old & rare.
    old & rare ? you talkin' about me ?

There are some good reviews out there on it - I'm curious to hear what you think.
    jblnut
    We will never know...it had some issues, so I traded it for some speakers with some issues ... , but I can better deal with these ....cabs are actually very nice, logos are there and only 1 dustcap is pushed in...sound fine.

LATER: geeze,,talk about a slow economy ....it took almost almost a hour and half to sell these.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

James Last in Los Angeles
    the legendary 1975 Record Plant Studio sessions

In 1975 James Last released "Well kept Secret" in the United States. Even though James Last - "Hansi" - found worlwide success, particularly in Great Britain for example, he had never reached American's ears so far. This LP was recorded with American musicians and conducted at the Record Plant Studios.

This record has been rereleased as "James Last in Los Angeles" on 180 g vinyl in 2008.
    The music is a sort of funky jazz. Some regard it as the best James Last ever, I bought it, I do so too.
    The LP is well produced.

James Last gets 80 today.

I bought 17 LP's yesterday !!!

"There's nothing as glamorous to me as a record store," said Paul McCartney. "When I recently played Amoeba in LA, I realised what fantastic memories such a collection of music brings back when you see it all in one place. I hope that these kinds of stores will be there for us all for many years to come."

http://music-mix.ew.com/2009/04/record-store-da.html

Record Store Day: How will you celebrate?

Apr 17, 2009, 04:34 PM | by Simon Vozick-Levinson

Mark your calendars if you haven't already: Tomorrow, Saturday April 18, is Record Store Day. The holiday started a couple years back as a way to honor America's rapidly vanishing independent music retailers, a noble cause if I've ever heard one. Now it's grown to the point where all sorts of artists big and small are playing intimate in-stores and offering exclusive products at participating indie shops across the U.S. A very abridged list of some of the most notable Record Store Day specials is after the jump, but there are zillions of these things happening. Click over to the official site for much more complete info on releases and in-stores, plus the all-important list of participating vendors. Then let us know in the comments section how you'll be stimulating the moribund music-retail economy this weekend!
    Exclusive releases:

• Bruce Springsteen, "What Love Can Do"/"A Night With the New Jersey Devil" 7" vinyl single
    • Bob Dylan, "Dreamin' of You"/"Down Along the Cove" 7" vinyl single
    • Crosby, Stills, and Nash, live double vinyl album
    • The Smiths, "The Headmaster Ritual"/"Oscillate Wildly" 7" vinyl single
    • New Order, "Temptation"/"Hurt" 7" vinyl single
    • Tom Waits, "Lucinda/Ain't Goin' Down to the Well"/"Bottom of the World" 7" vinyl single (live recordings from 2008's Glitter & Doom tour)
    • Grizzly Bear, "While You Wait For The Others"/"He Hit Me" (live on KCRW) 7" vinyl single
    • Sonic Youth/Beck, split 7" vinyl EP
    • Flight of the Conchords, "Pencils in the Wind" 7" vinyl single
    • Vetiver, "Wishing Well" 7" vinyl single
    • Blitzen Trapper, "War Is Placebo" 7" vinyl single
    • Iron & Wine, Norfolk 6-20-05 live CD
    • Wilco, bonus downloadable concert for anyone who purchases Ashes of American Flags DVD
    • Jane's Addiction, "Mountain Song" 7" vinyl single
    • Cold War Kids, live EP
    • The Dandy Warhols, Earth to the Remix EP, Volume Two
    • Cursive/Ladyfinger (ne), split 10" picture disc EP

In-store shows:

And much, much more...

Some records that I find have never been put on CD. For the longest time I was looking for a tune called Sephia Sister from the album On the Frontier by a group called Shoot. Then one day boom it's on Ebay. There is a lot of good cuts out there that never made it from vynil.

Thread Information