Thread: Mounting Horn Lenses

Mounting Horn Lenses

Getting ready to get my speakers up and running and was wondering how they are mounted on the various cabinets. The plastic lenses look like it's just a velcro strip. Which would work just fine. I will be using the H94 serpentines and was wondering how the metal lenses were done?? They are heavy and I don't trust velcro to hold them. They have threaded holes on the back spacers and was wondering what was used to attach them to the cabinet. If I remember right I have seen metal bars that were screwed on. If this is correct how thick are they and how high off the horn does it space the lense????
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Back showing threaded spacers.

Thanks Rob

I do not know about original, but I used these on some DIY speakers I did. I have access to the back of the panel, so these are screwed into the front baffle from the rear. If you don't have access to the backside, your limited on your options for mounting. I believe the flat bar is about your only good option.

John Y.
    Rob,

The H94's I bought thru eBay came attached to a board that was 3/4 inch plywood, sprayed black, with a hole in the center and had been placed over the LE5 in the JBL222. The 10 inch square board was screwed to the L94 using the four threaded holes you show and was attached to the enclosure front. I will try to locate the boards (they are around here, somewhere) to see how they might have been attached to the enclosure (wood screws come to mind, but I want to check). These came from an L222, according to the ebay seller. Maybe an owner of that system on the forum could shed some light on whether that could be true.

I noted that the hole on the board was the same size as the mouth of a 2311 horn and I have often wondered whether the L94 was originally developed for use with those horns. I believe it would be a good match. Is this what you are aiming for, Rob?

John

Hello Luther

Nice speakers! I didn't think of bolting thru. I am reluctant too. You upper cabinet house's the horn only?? I would be going through my woofer baffle which to me is asking for trouble. I think I will just make up a couple of straps.

Hello John

Yes that is exactly right. I will have a 2307 behind it. I like the look of the serpentines better than the 2308 lense.

Rob

Rob

The bottom cabinet uses a 3110A to run a LE175/H91 and 2220 in separate compartments. The top cabinet is really a rear ported 8" full range horn design. It runs on it's own amp so I can use it to fill in the mids. Kind of a kluge but sounds very nice.

John Y.
    Rob,

Using a pair of straps picking up the existing tapped holes and extending above and below the lens to allow wood screws to fasten the assembly would be OK except, maybe for appearance.

Mounting directly to the baffle shouldn't be a problem. After all, the 2307 is sealed in position and the only thing to worry about is making sure the mounting screws from the backside of the baffle have heads that will cover the mounting holes in the baffle.

In any event, I would use a sheet of closed cell foam or other soft material around the horn to make sure the sound waves go through the lens and not out the top and bottom gaps. Just a thought.

John

Thread Information