Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: mrx or srx suitable for homeuse?

henko

mrx or srx suitable for homeuse?

Hi all.
    New to this forum I would like to ask for impressions from the jbl mrx525 and the srx725. Opinions that i have read are from prosound guys that say "smooth and loud for a topbox" and I thought that a more hifioriented opinion could be found here. I cant find any of the mentioned nearby so I would like to be encouraged before i go quite far to have a listen.
    What I seek in a new loudspeaker is high efficiency and good dynamics. I like "playing air-drums" listening to rock music and pretend that I am Mr Moon, so percussion need to sound realistic. I can barely hear sounds at 17 k so extreme highs are not that important. I listen to many types of rock music, opera and electronica, and I will use the speakers as mains in my home theater setup with a subwoofer.
    All the best -Henko

Hmmmm. Why are you looking that direction? In any event, if you want one for home, the SR's are better than the MR's. Look for an SR4735 or SR-X4735, preferably. This is a 2226 based three way, with horn loaded 8 inch cone mid and a 1.5 inch comp. driver on an integral horn. Plan on possibly needing to attenuate the mid-hi in home use. They are best when bi-amped, considerably.

RIP 2009
    I think he's looking at the SRX series, which is *completely* different than the old SR series. 'Still sound reinforcement, but much better than the original stuff...

John

Right. I mentioned the x series above. The crossover received a change as well in the X series.

RIP 2009
    'Still different than what he's asking. Due to JBL's goofy naming strategy, there's the SR-X series you mentioned, plus the all-new SRX series, that uses neodymium drivers and differential drive: http://www.jblpro.com/srx700/index.htm

Completely different.

John

I'm not seeing anything in SRX700 I'd be interested in using at home.

Look to AE series, instead, perhaps....

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    But I'll bet the SRX738 3-way would still sound pretty good! http://www.jblpro.com/srx700/738.htm

There was a guy over at ProSoundWeb that plugged some SRX725's into his home system and said he was pleasantly surprised at how good they sounded. The SRX725 uses the 2451 HF driver instead of the 2431.

John

[quote]
    Quote Originally Posted by johnaec View Post
    But I'll be the SRX738 3-way would still sound pretty good! http://www.jblpro.com/srx700/738.htm
    I was thinking the same thing. Still rather have something more refined for home use...those babies bark in a 60 degree pattern...but, it's a pretty nice bark!

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec View Post
    'Still different than what he's asking. Due to JBL's goofy naming strategy, there's the SR-X series you mentioned, plus the all-new SRX series, that uses neodymium drivers and differential drive: http://www.jblpro.com/srx700/index.htm

Completely different.

John
    Ahhh, I get it!

Quote Originally Posted by henko View Post
    ...I will use the speakers as mains in my home theater setup with a subwoofer.
    I have only heard these in SR applications. In those settings, they are good, indeed.

I use the 712M's for my wedges, and they are terrific - they require less EQ at fewer frequencies to achieve flat response, and I would imagine that is a design characteristic of the entire line.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post

Look to AE series, instead, perhaps....
    the three way does not appeal to you??? if i had a stupid amount of money i would rather have 2 of the SRX700 three way as fronts for a home theatre setup. an 18" transducer, come onn what more could you ask for.

having 2 MRX 528's and 2 MRX 525's does not sound bad at all, by far the best sounding speakers ive heard from JBL so far (the vertec is good haha) but we use them inside, and for our sound reinforcement gigs. in both types of venues we would be able to play it louder than our old rig, and not have so much fatigue on the ears, and the bass is tremendous but clear. the mids are loud but precise, the highs are loud as well and crisp and clean, and they blend perfectly and effortlessly. the bass in movies is undescribable. the neighbors come over when master and commander is being played, and 2000+ people inside a massive gymnasium are all feeling this sensation in their feet in chest called bass that they have never felt before. they are a wonder of JBL's power and technology. we plan on getting 2 more MRX528's. and 3 more amplifiers. you cannot go wrong with the MRX's or the SRX's. they have the best of both worlds, insane SPL, and presice clean crisp amazing and pleasing to the ears SQ.

Close, but no cigar.

How about these? SR4738A Series II (improved crossover) three-way
    biampable.

Nice thump from the 2241 and sizzle from the 2416 ti. comp. driver. The
    2123 10 in. is a bit foreward but works nicely in the vocal range.

I have them hooked up in my living room...they can be a bit fatiguing after
    awhile (cranked) ...sort of a poor man's L300.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

...have a pair of sr4725s for HT and they kick but....

Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    ...have a pair of sr4725s for HT and they kick but....
    Robert,

....but, what do they kick?

Doc

P.S. Just messing with you, my Friend! You obviously mean they kick "butt", othewise know as "hinie", "boo-tay", "cheeks", "nalgas", and sometimes, just plain, old "but"!
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Quote Originally Posted by 57BELAIRE View Post
    How about these? SR4738A Series II (improved crossover) three-way
    biampable.

Nice thump from the 2241 and sizzle from the 2416 ti. comp. driver. The
    2123 10 in. is a bit foreward but works nicely in the vocal range.

I have them hooked up in my living room...they can be a bit fatiguing after
    awhile (cranked) ...sort of a poor man's L300.
    Man, those are some nice looking speaks-hard to find though.
    I had the 4735s and the 4738s on my radar for a while-nothing like a big ole speaker's presence in the livin room.

RIGGED

Thread Information