Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: L250's ...should I grab them?

L250's ...should I grab them?

Folks,

I have these L250's available to me....purdy cheap ....sorry for the poor pics, I had to use my cell phone.....

I am curios what my restore costs might be and what other considerations I might be overlooking.

The cabinet condition I would call 7/10....have a few veneer nicks(I can repair these myself) at the bottoms, but apart from that they really dont have any major blemishes that I saw....I think they will cleanup real nice....

The LF drivers need new foam. ($150)

One tweet is dented both screen and dust cap. ($??) is this my chance to up them to 250ti's?

One HF-mid has some small scratches/dents in the inverted dust cap. ($70)

Oddly, the grills have no mounting pins :dont-know???

Anything I am missing.....do you think I should grab them while the grabbin is good?

Thanks for your input....Shaan
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Cabinet nicks...

Quote Originally Posted by shaansloan View Post
    The cabinet condition I would call 7/10....have a few veneer nicks(I can repair these myself) at the bottoms, but apart from that they really dont have any major blemishes that I saw....I think they will cleanup real nice....
    Cabinet pics....
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I dont know about u but I would buy them and put the time in. when u have a finish product its even sweeter great sounding speaker period !

Looks like a most doable project for restoration with the exception of a 044-1 tweeter. Fortunately the 044-1 is functionally the same as the standard 044. Only difference is the gold color dome and black housing. I hoped to do an upgrade to mine but so far it has not been economically feisable. The grill frame rests on top of the 4" and 14" transducer edges. Mine has velcro which keeps them from falling off.

It's the "purdy cheap" part that says "you need to own them!"

I'll take them, Shaan, if you don't.

Pushed in tweeter is an issue to find exact replacement.

Grills on non TIs attach via velcro , see above Doyall post

Domes on both mid tweeters are supposed to be convex not concave, supposed to be able to get just domes????

TIs have 44ti tweeter, 104h mid, different xover, and different internal bracing. you will need the 1st 3 to make them sound as TIs, If they are yours to keep forever maybe 14-3 replacement woofer instead of repairing these.

How cheap is the question...

Mark
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

Shaan,

Thanks for posting your find. If you're coming here to ask us, well, we're a bunch of enablers. Plus, if you use the words "purdy cheap...restore costs...dont have any major blemishes...they will cleanup real nice", you've already got a pretty good plan and we'll just push you over the edge.

However, here's a radical thought for you. Both you and rdgrimes probably have way too many speakers already...so...(sorry for all you other guys nearby)...why don't you guys meet up...buy them together and do a restoration/upgrade project together and see how it turns out?

You get to meet and work with another JBL LH fan, do a whole bunch of interesting work, a lot of comparisons with your current speakers, and eat and drink a whole bunch of great Southwestern meals while you document it for us. When you're done, you guys would have the focal point for a must do New Mexico get together...I've always wanted to go to NM...

Besides, since each of you would have an equal piece in it, you get to choose the six months they would be in the respective homes. And whenever you get tired of them (if ever) you could buy each other out or sell them to the next JBL fan.

I know, it does sound a little wierd but sharing the find may be more fun than having it to yourself.

Just my 0.02 on having fun - and this would be a really fun project for the late winter months as the sun starts to warm up the valleys again!!

Regards,

Bart
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

Cool idea, Bart.

I would have bought them, even if I did not like the sound of them, fixed them, keep them if you like them, or make some $ selling them.

I have never owned them, just heard them at shows, but they are great looking speakers. If I came across a pair, no matter how they look, I'll buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by mech986 View Post
    However, here's a radical thought for you. Both you and rdgrimes probably have way too many speakers already...
    Well, I have already met rdgrimes(the old JBL fart)....and we do indeed have way too many speakers.....in fact we could rock the planet with just what we have in our living rooms....not to mention the garage, the den, the back bedrooms, the office, etc.....shall I go on..... you know the disease all to well...!

Quote Originally Posted by mech986 View Post
    You get to meet and work with another JBL LH fan, do a whole bunch of interesting work, a lot of comparisons with your current speakers, and eat and drink a whole bunch of great Southwestern meals while you document it for us. When you're done, you guys would have the focal point for a must do New Mexico get together...I've always wanted to go to NM...
    We are already ready for ya....yall come on out, I'll make room for the whole JBL crew.......but I am not to sure about Dan's cooking skills?? We might have to cater instead .....we could surely make a great weekend out of it, I have enough room at my home/yard to have a big event, or I have many venues avail to me here in ABQ.......a real nice time to come in Sept/Oct(Balloon Fiesta in 1st wk Oct)....yall let us know!

On the L250's, either me or Dan will wind up with them soon I am sure...

Thanks, Shaan

I have a thread on Audiokarma (thread here linking to it also) on restoring the L250's I got before xmas - I redid the foam, cleaned the cabs, popped out the dust caps, colored the one woofer and cleaned up a few other things - mine were in much worse shape the the ones your looking at - the L250's are a geat speaker, I love mine - the bass is the best ive had on speakers at my house and the highs are decent also (smooth and balanced) - If you need any advicee fixing let me know,,,,

Guy L
    Shaan,

You'd be able to pull the tweeters dustcap with a piece of tape or use a vacuum cleaner with a low vacuuming preasure.

Guy L

I wound up getting these. I'm embarrassed to say how little I paid for them.

Couple quick questions:

The 108H drivers feel very stiff to me. Is this normal? They aren't really any more flexible than the LE5-11s.

The 044-1 tweets, are these the same diaphragms as the 044? What gives them the bronze color?

My 108h are "stiff" as well. They are covering the lower midrange so don't need large excursions to produce high SPL levels. That driver is one of the reasons for 250's great sound on percussion in my opinion. They can simulate the crack of a snare drum well.

What did you pay?

Thread Information