Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: L15 Owners Please Step Inside....

L15 Owners Please Step Inside....

I just purchased some "JBL" badges for my recently-acquired L15s. In a previous post I was told L15s take the badges with a "pin" sticking out the back which is held in place with a clip, so that's what I bought.

The pins on these badges are 3/32" diameter X 3/4" long and the ends of the pins are blunt, not sharp. It seems to me I'd be poking or tearing a big hole in the cloth as I try to install them. Are these the correct type of badges or is there another type with smaller diameter, sharp-pointed pins that are less likely to damage the grill cloth as I push them through?

If you have an actual pic of the correct badge, it would be really helpful. Thanks!

Use a thumbtack or pin or finishing nail to open a space in the cloth and displace the fabric where you want the badge's pin to go.

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanPie View Post
    I just purchased some "JBL" badges for my recently-acquired L15s. In a previous post I was told L15s take the badges with a "pin" sticking out the back which is held in place with a clip, so that's what I bought.

The pins on these badges are 3/32" diameter X 3/4" long and the ends of the pins are blunt, not sharp. It seems to me I'd be poking or tearing a big hole in the cloth as I try to install them. Are these the correct type of badges or is there another type with smaller diameter, sharp-pointed pins that are less likely to damage the grill cloth as I push them through?

If you have an actual pic of the correct badge, it would be really helpful. Thanks!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Use a thumbtack or pin or finishing nail to open a space in the cloth and displace the fabric where you want the badge's pin to go.

Déjà vu all over again!
    Advice so good you should heed it, twice!
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    I've had pin-type metal JBL logos for a couple of speakers I refurbed - (B380, L36, L100, etc). The weave in the cloth is somewhat open, so often you can just wiggle the pin at the point of insertion and the cloth will separate to some degree . You are not ripping through the threads of the cloth, you are displacing the threads to allow the pins in ...

But if you used a tighter weave you could always use a nail/tack/pushpin to start the hole before using the pin end of the logo ...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AmericanPie

However I could just sharpen the points of the pins and then use the push-on clips you mention, if I can find some. Or I could cut off the pins and attaching with adhesive or velcro if that's a better way to go.

The plastic logos aren't an option; I want to keep the speakers as original as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Déjà vu all over again!
    Advice so good you should heed it, twice!
    I thought I was real good keeping the snarky comments OUT of the post ...
    Got the DEC magazine the other day, thanks for your help!
    Are you back home yet or travelling?
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

OK guys, I figured I'd get needled for seeking more info on this, and as I had said in the previous thread, it IS good advice. I just want to make sure I've got the right badges, and that I'm not trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. Those pins seem pretty big for what looks like a tight weave on the grill cloth.

I'll try Hjames' method unless I discover there's another, "correct" badge that will work better.

Thanks again.

OK guys, I figured I'd get needled for seeking more info on this, and as I had said in the previous thread, it IS good advice. I just want to make sure I've got the right badges, and that I'm not trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. Those pins seem pretty big for what looks like a tight weave on the grill cloth.

I'll try Hjames' method unless I discover there's another, "correct" badge that will work better.

Thanks again.
    Sure looks like the L15 takes the same badge as on my L112s. Same vintage, too. On the L112 they're installed through the grille cloth but into a solid part of the grille frame, and then clipped. Can't tell you about my L26s or L150As since they're all stashed away. That fat post is all I've ever seen on the older metal logos.

On L100's (mine, at least...circa 1973) the logos are attached by velcro directly onto the foam. The backs of the badges are flat; no pin sticking out.

I wonder how many different methods of attachment JBL used with these badges over the years.

On L100's (mine, at least...circa 1973) the logos are attached by velcro directly onto the foam. The backs of the badges are flat; no pin sticking out.
    I guess after they got tired of the kids stealing the logos out of the showroom, and after the egg-crate-foam grilles all returned to dust, they got smart and actually attached them in a way that kept them on. Just a guess. Wish I could figure out how to remove them from my L7 without destroying them. And the cheap little LX22s I just got have plastic badges with the post just melted over to hold it to the plastic grille frame. :dont-know

Putting all questions to rest, here is an original grill from my L15, pardon the crappy photos. This is standard on all L-series grills except the ones with steel frames and flanges for the badge.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thanks for the photos...that's exactly what I was looking for! It looks like I have the correct badges. However, in comparing your grills to mine it appears that someone replaced my grill fabric with a finer-weave cloth. This might be my real problem; I don't think these badges will go through the tight weave without ruining it, even with Heather's "thumbtack" trick. Any idea where I can get the "original" type of fabric and have it mounted? Do any vendors on this forum specialize in doing this?

Thanks for the photos...that's exactly what I was looking for! It looks like I have the correct badges. However, in comparing your grills to mine it appears that someone replaced my grill fabric with a finer-weave cloth. This might be my real problem; I don't think these badges will go through the tight weave without ruining it, even with Heather's "thumbtack" trick. Any idea where I can get the "original" type of fabric and have it mounted? Do any vendors on this forum specialize in doing this?
    Just poke a hole and stick it in there. If you're ready to replace fabric, what do you have to lose? I use a pencil.

OK, Meredith, Final answer.

I just looked at the badges on my L15's and the pin is HUGE, BLUNT, and barely pointy. Make a hole and push em through!

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    Putting all questions to rest, here is an original grill from my L15, pardon the crappy photos. This is standard on all L-series grills except the ones with steel frames and flanges for the badge.
    FWIW, mine are original (still have hang tag thread on them) and don't have the raised edge. All of my L112 grills also have a smooth face with only raised JBL. I also have both metal (the loop) and PLASTIC framed L112 grills with the same badges.

Quote Originally Posted by brutal View Post
    FWIW, mine are original (still have hang tag thread on them) and don't have the raised edge. All of my L112 grills also have a smooth face with only raised JBL. I also have both metal (the loop) and PLASTIC framed L112 grills with the same badges.
    Appears to have more to do with date of mfg than with the model. I have both badge types on my L-family here. My L15s are 29283-29284.

Quote Originally Posted by brutal View Post
    I got confused here for a minute. When Brutal said "grilles" with smooth face I now understand he's referring to the logo "badge". My L112s, too, are original (yeah, I still have the hang tags. Why? I dont know!) and the badges do not have the raised edge or "frame", just the letters. But the posts are the same, which is really what this thread was about. Glad I finally figured out what you guys were talking about!

Thread Information