Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jbl 4435

rvito

Jbl 4435

How would these be for my Home Audio System? Pros and cons. Thanks for any information

They are the dream come true!
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC² ±3db

I'd think if you had the room they would be perfect...

That probably doesn't help much.

I have the 4430s. I can say that the speaker is very unfussy about placement. It seems to build a solid image no matter how far apart they are (I'm sure thre's a limit but they're placed outside of another pair of speakers and they still image better). While they are efficient I wouldn't go too small on the amp. I tried running them on a Pioneer Elite HT Receiver (110 watts per). They sounded OK but run on my main system amp (Adcom GFA 5802) they really sing. Right now I've settled on a NAD C372 at 150 watts per side and they don't seem wanting.

I guess the downside is going to be size and weight. A 4435 seems really cool to me but everything in our house has to come up our front stairs. The shape of the horns may not please everyone. With the 4430s, at least in my room, the low end does start to roll off below maybe 50hz. The 4435 will extend that some.

Tony

rvito
    how is the sound of the horns

I guess it's kind of compared to what?

I have a pair of Altec 19s with the 811 horns that I've slopped all kinds of stuff all over to reduce the resonances on and the biradials sound much better than them. I mean to say these things are a big advancement over the older style aluminum horns. Measured with an RTA and pink noise they measure very flat through the midrange on up with the controls set to 0. Much better than anything else I've measured in this room. The biradial horns do work as advertised, I think that's why they are so easy to set up. The horn does reduce the amount of reflected sound from the midrange on up which is probably why I think they measured so well in my room. I imagine if I moved them to another room they wouldn't sound that much different.

As far as the sound of the driver itself one of the first things I noticed was the reproduction of drums and cymbals. Very natural high hat sounds, not random white noise. Snare drums sound great with a good leading transient (credit the horn and driver) and a nice punch (credit the woofer). Voices sound very natural and like most two way horn loaded monitors I've heard somewhat foward but not as far foward as some of the old Altecs I've listened to.

I'm not able to describe these things like a magazine reviewer. Unlike large panel speakers which create a lot of reflected and direct sound from a tall line source these things don't do anything to hide where they are so you know you're listening to speakers but they seem to pull all of the detail out of most recordings. It's sort of a window into the mix. You know you're looking through a window but you can still see everything there. Very special.

I wouldn't suggest that you buy a pair based on my opinion (which would be to just buy them) but to actually give them a listen first just in case they turn out not to be your cup of tea. This is all based on my own experience and opinion and I'd hate to lead you astray. There may be some characteristics that you don't like. They wouldn't make a very good nearfield speaker. Up close they tend to sound a little too agressive. They need about 9 or 10 feet to even out.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    I I mean to say these things are a big advancement over the older style aluminum horns.
    Tony
    I am sorry to say that I don't agree with you. I think it is the opposite. Speakers using bi-radial horns have never impressed me.

Its all about the SWEAT SPOT constant coverage I would love to have a pair of 4430 or 4435

Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    With the 4430s, at least in my room, the low end does start to roll off below maybe 50hz. The 4435 will extend that some.

Tony
    Yes, my office pair is in quite a large room, and I added a B380 to fix the bottom end.

So does 4430 + B380 = 4433?
    Out.

My opinion of the 4430s is that they image extremely well. That is their greatest forte.

On the other hand, to my ear in my room, they sound a little "thin" compared to my L200 make-overs. They also lack a little in the deep bass (as do the L200s) and a true subwoofer is a real benefit.

As far as the horn, I think it is a little "grainy" or "edgy" at the top of its range, like it is being pushed into doing something it really doesn't want to.

i have a set. i love them..... they sound great with class A amps, and tube amps. these are efficient speakers and i believe that you would like them alot... if you are getting a good deal, i say buy them.

regards

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post

Think 4435 -25% of the slam of a 4435

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Yes, my office pair is in quite a large room, and I added a B380 to fix the bottom end.

Are you using one or two?

B4810?

rvito
    what would a used pair be worth? Drivers all good,Cabinets have a lot of scratches and no grills............................................ .......

There's a pair listed on Audiogon now for $1500 in rough condition that have sat idle for a few weeks. My guess is that's the top end for a pair of 4435s that have seen professional use and abuse. They might move for a little less or if they weren't local pickup only.

4430s in good condition are fetching $1500 so a nice pair of 4435s should go for more.

Tony

rvito
    went and got them yesterday. The sound is out of this world!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Information