Thread: hafler 9505 vs xL 600

hafler 9505 vs xL 600

hello . Is there any sound quality difference between these two amps. I want to buy a 9505 but I guess so does every body else- hard to find but i found a couple xl 600

I traded in my pair of XL600s for the 9505s... the biggest issue was fan noise. The XL-600s were noisy.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I traded in my pair of XL600s for the 9505s... the biggest issue was fan noise. The XL-600s were noisy.

Widget
    hey widget explain fan noise is this a humming noise. well I cant be picky. can u disconnect the fan I know the 9505 ran warm to almost hot with out a fan will I dammage any thing

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    try this
    thank u sir

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    thank u sir
    Well, if its going to get stacked up under your TV,
    you'll probably want to put some wood blocks or something similar
    between the pieces to add some airspace and encourage airflow,
    so the gear can breathe and help stay cool ...
    a muffin-fan won't help much if there's nowhere for the heat to go ...

Or, do like I did, build a mini-rack with perforated rack panels to allow airflow ...
    I got pieces of smoked glass from Banner Glass, set them on top of my speakers to protect them,
    then set the rack on top of that - no scratched tops that way!

The sides are scraps from the scraps room at IKEA Potomac Mills,
    the short rails and screws from Guitar Center ...
    The perf panels came from Parts Express
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

I run a pair of Hafler P500s, for my bass and mid bass, which have the same fan set up as the XL-600 and I have to say that the fans are on the loud side. It doesn't really bother me much because I play the system some what loud but when I mute everything you can hear them really humming away. They have 3 speeds and hi speed is really loud but they won't go into 3rd unless you really crank it up! Summertime can be more problematic.

I've been thinking of changing the fans out with some Panasonic 70cfm 30db fans but then I've been thinking of replacing these 2 amps with something newer too. If I replace the fans I'll post here how it worked out.

here's a picture of the stock DH-500, P500, P505 and XL-600 fan. It's built to last!

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Well, if its going to get stacked up under your TV,
    you'll probably want to put some wood blocks or something similar
    between the pieces to add some airspace and encourage airflow,
    so the gear can breathe and help stay cool ...
    a muffin-fan won't help much if there's nowhere for the heat to go ...

Or, do like I did, build a mini-rack with perforated rack panels to allow airflow ...
    I got pieces of smoked glass from Banner Glass, set them on top of my speakers to protect them,
    then set the rack on top of that - no scratched tops that way!

The sides are scraps from the scraps room at IKEA Potomac Mills,
    the short rails and screws from Guitar Center ...
    The perf panels came from Parts Express
    looks pretty darn good

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    looks pretty darn good
    Thanks - thats the old system,
    JBL/UREI active crossover on the bottom, and a pair of JBL/UREI power amps for my biamped system ...

The basic idea came from some folks here, recommending the perf panels to help the amps run cooler.

The whole point is you can do something like that for something like 50 bucks for the blank panels, rails,
    screws and some nice scrap wood locally, and its REAL GOOD for your gear to allow airflow on your power amps.
    Extends the life of the components!

Plus, if they look nice ... there's nothing wrong with showing off your amps!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Thanks - thats the old system,
    JBL/UREI active crossover on the bottom, and a pair of JBL/UREI power amps for my biamped system ...

The basic idea came from some folks here, recommending the perf panels to help the amps run cooler.

The whole point is you can do something like that for something like 50 bucks for the blank panels, rails,
    screws and some nice scrap wood locally, and its REAL GOOD for your gear to allow airflow on your power amps.
    Extends the life of the components!

Plus, if they look nice ... there's nothing wrong with showing off your amps!
    Thanks 4 the idea.

Wink Hafler XL600

Quote Originally Posted by maxwedge View Post
    I run a pair of Hafler P500s, for my bass and mid bass, which have the same fan set up as the XL-600 and I have to say that the fans are on the loud side. It doesn't really bother me much because I play the system some what loud but when I mute everything you can hear them really humming away. They have 3 speeds and hi speed is really loud but they won't go into 3rd unless you really crank it up! Summertime can be more problematic.

I've been thinking of changing the fans out with some Panasonic 70cfm 30db fans but then I've been thinking of replacing these 2 amps with something newer too. If I replace the fans I'll post here how it worked out.

here's a picture of the stock DH-500, P500, P505 and XL-600 fan. It's built to last!
    Actually the XL600 has a entirely different fan and fairly quiet! The XL-600 is by far the most stable, robust and lowest negative feedback design Hafler ever produced! The 9505... 4 ohm at its best and meltdown below 4 ohm, the XL-600 1 ohm stable! This amplifier sounds quite nice and is incredibly phase coherent throughout its entire bandwidth, moderate damping so good control in the bottom-end but the vocal range stays put where it should, not muddy at all! Mids and highs perfectly balanced yet speakers are finicky but if you are running any of the TAD drivers you will love this amplifier!

Quote Originally Posted by tadman View Post
    Actually the XL600 has a entirely different fan and fairly quiet! The XL-600 is by far the most stable, robust and lowest negative feedback design Hafler ever produced! The 9505... 4 ohm at its best and meltdown below 4 ohm, the XL-600 1 ohm stable! This amplifier sounds quite nice and is incredibly phase coherent throughout its entire bandwidth, moderate damping so good control in the bottom-end but the vocal range stays put where it should, not muddy at all! Mids and highs perfectly balanced yet speakers are finicky but if you are running any of the TAD drivers you will love this amplifier!
    Thanks for your update to this (7-year-old) thread. It's very helpful as people seem to find this site as a resource—regardless of how old the threads are—through Google so it might as well be updated, when possible and when necessary.

And, since it's fairly obvious that this is exactly how you found this site, welcome aboard.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thread Information