Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: s1s-ex vs 4645c

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Valentin View Post
    but i think my 2 b460 (2242) clones in my specialized music room should do extremely well
    No doubt

The characteristic that jumped out at me when I heard my first pair of 2242H's was how incredibly clean they sounded.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    I've been told that JBL has since come up with a new eighteen that behaves more like the venerable 2245H. I can't remember the model number right now.
    It could be the 2269H you're thinking of? Used in some Vertec woofers and some ASB woofers like ASB7118. There's also the custom Revel Rhythm 2 woofer made by JBL, but haven't seen any info about that one yet.

To threadstarter: If you're interested in S1S-EX, a forum member in Norway are selling his 4 clones for a resonable price

I 2nd that comment!

The characteristic that jumped out at me when I heard my first pair of 2242H's was how incredibly clean they sounded.

When I had a pair of 2242H in 9 cu ft cabs in my living room I was using a single PE sub plate amp (250 watts) and never came close to tapping the wattage.

My WT2 measured approx -3db/35hz, but pipe organ music never missed a note!!!

In my 12' x 16' room I feared structural damage if I continued to run them on a regular basis.

I now have a pair of 2245 cores that were reconed to 2240H's and plan to try them out in 6 cu ft box sealed run off a McIntosh MC-240 and using a Reckhorn B1 to control the bottom end. It has a variable HI/LO pass filters and a variable EQ.

I'm just researching the resistor network to pad down my main amps speaker output and reduce it to line level for input to the B-1. I don't have a pre out/pwr in on my integrated 300B amp. Also, the B-1 has a input impedance of only 10K ohms which would kill a tube preamp looking for a MUCH higher input impedance.

I look for room gain to fill in the rest.

That project will be a few months down the road as my throat surgery next Monday is center stage for attention right now.

Regards, Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

Hey, Ron,

Best of luck in your upcoming surgery, Sir! Get well soon, so you can continue singing the praises of the things we all love: JBL goodies!! I still have not yet played around, too much, with my 4645 cab & 2242H woofer. I got sidetracked with a horrible hum in the system, and have yet to track down the source, though as Bo so wisely suggested, it's probably my H/K preamp. Again, please keep us posted as to your recovery after the surgery, and we'll keep you in our prayers and thoughts. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

I'm a cinema installer and an enthusiast about sound. I have two 4645B (just the box is slightly different) in my HT, but unfortunately the acoustic is very bad and led me to install those two beasts BEHIND me and not coupled, to handle the 25dB dip I have at 40Hz over my seat!

What I know from experience is that this sub without any EQ is not very deep, because of its 35Hz at -3dB. I was told that JBL used to ship these beasts with a "B6 filter" even though I've never managed to have an official word from JBL about it.

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Quote Originally Posted by tony359 View Post
    I'm a cinema installer and an enthusiast about sound. I have two 4645B (just the box is slightly different) in my HT, but unfortunately the acoustic is very bad and led me to install those two beasts BEHIND me and not coupled, to handle the 25dB dip I have at 40Hz over my seat!

What I know from experience is that this sub without any EQ is not very deep, because of its 35Hz at -3dB. I was told that JBL used to ship these beasts with a "B6 filter" even though I've never managed to have an official word from JBL about it.

can you tell us about your room set up, and any acoustic treatment you have?
    as you know, we also like to look at pictures!

be well....

I know this is an old thread, but I was hoping that someone could throw some light on the subject about 4645c vs. S1S-EX. I know both use same driver and same tuning, but I have talked to JBL which says, that the 4645c has -3db@35hz where the S1S-EX has -3db@20hz... Is this just marketing scam or does the S1S-EX actually provide better performance in the low frequencies? With same driver, same tuning and almost same enclosure size, I dont understand such a big difference in specs.

Anyone ever measured the 4645c and S1S-EX in the same room to compare the frequency response? I know Dome has both in his room, so it could be an interesting experiment

EDIT: I saw some rumors that they used aquaplas in the S1S-EX which would explain the extended frequency response. But this is not written anywhere and not confirmed by JBL.

basicaly the 4645c will go a bit louder but the s1s-ex will have a bit better trancient response
    same driver same tuneing freq same eq needed just a difrent box volume.

Obsolete
    The 4645C is the factory built version to buy if you can't build your own. At the time JBL and I had this specific conversation the S1S-EX was twice as expensive and built half as solid. Either build your own or pick up some 4645C's if you can't build your own.

basicaly the 4645c will go a bit louder but the s1s-ex will have a bit better trancient response
    same driver same tuneing freq same eq needed just a difrent box volume.
    This makes perfect sense in my head. But I just dont understand why JBL tells me that the -3db point is 15hz lower on the S1S-EX. Could it be, that they do their specs based on where it is going to be used? In a residential environment it is very likely that the 4645c/S1S-EX has -3db@20hz, but when used in a large theater with no room gain, the -3db is higher.

I would go with 4645C its a great sub

but if you have the cash go for the 1500 array

I would go with 4645C its a great sub

but if you have the cash go for the 1500 array

I already have dual 4645c's powered by a Crown CTs2000 - and I agree - its a great sub! But below 25hz it misses a lot. That is really obvious for movies and thats why I wondered about the JBL Synthesis systems - they really miss out on some of the low end stuff is the S1S-EX performs identical.

I have heard Array 1500's, and I dont think they can match the 4645C's from 30hz and up. The 4645c's are more articulate and have more "speed" (dont know the hifi-word for it). I use them up to 80hz where 2226H's take over.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonas_h View Post
    This makes perfect sense in my head. But I just dont understand why JBL tells me that the -3db point is 15hz lower on the S1S-EX. Could it be, that they do their specs based on where it is going to be used? In a residential environment it is very likely that the 4645c/S1S-EX has -3db@20hz, but when used in a large theater with no room gain, the -3db is higher.
    You got it.

BTW, years ago I mentioned using aquaplas on the 2242H to get the Fs lower but JBL nixed the idea. I doubt they changed their minds for the S1S-EX. There actually is a "replacement" for the 2245H but I've long since forgotten the part number. The 2242H was designed for boundary reinforced installation while the 2245H (unintentionally) and its successor (intentionally) were designed for free standing applications.
    I already have dual 4645c's powered by a Crown CTs2000 - and I agree - its a great sub! But below 25hz it misses a lot. That is really obvious for movies and thats why I wondered about the JBL Synthesis systems - they really miss out on some of the low end stuff is the S1S-EX performs identical.

I have heard Array 1500's, and I dont think they can match the 4645C's from 30hz and up. The 4645c's are more articulate and have more "speed" (dont know the hifi-word for it). I use them up to 80hz where 2226H's take over.
    Are you using a bump filter at 25 Hz?

Yes, the 2242H is the cleanest sounding eighteen I've ever had the pleasure of hearing. Like Greg says, "it's not of this world". I still prefer the 2245H for home though, it has more area under the curve down low. A 20 Hz Fs really does count for something. It isn't quite as clean sounding but it sounds so damn good just the same.

The original 4645 used the 2245H tuned to 25 Hz but it blew up in fixed installations. JBL tuned the 4645 up to 30 Hz and the 2245H still blew up. Then came the 2242H that could really handle the juice and they tuned the box back down to 25 Hz and the option to use a bump filter for fixed installations without blowing up the driver became viable. None of this matters nearly as much in a home environment because either driver should technically render you deaf, dumb and blind before you could hurt them. I have heard of a few people blowing up their B460's though (the original 4645 was the Pro version of the B460). I personally can't imagine...

You got it.

BTW, years ago I mentioned using aquaplas on the 2242H to get the Fs lower but JBL nixed the idea. I doubt they changed their minds for the S1S-EX. There actually is a "replacement" for the 2245H but I've long since forgotten the part number. The 2242H was designed for boundary reinforced installation while the 2245H (unintentionally) and its successor (intentionally) were designed for free standing applications.Are you using a bump filter at 25 Hz?

Yes, the 2242H is the cleanest sounding eighteen I've ever had the pleasure of hearing. Like Greg says, "it's not of this world". I still prefer the 2245H for home though, it has more area under the curve down low. A 20 Hz Fs really does count for something. It isn't quite as clean sounding but it sounds so damn good just the same.

The original 4645 used the 2245H tuned to 25 Hz but it blew up in fixed installations. JBL tuned the 4645 up to 30 Hz and the 2245H still blew up. Then came the 2242H that could really handle the juice and they tuned the box back down to 25 Hz and the option to use a bump filter for fixed installations without blowing up the driver became viable. None of this matters nearly as much in a home environment because either driver should technically render you deaf, dumb and blind before you could hurt them. I have heard of a few people blowing up their B460's though (the original 4645 was the Pro version of the B460). I personally can't imagine...
    I am using the filters which gives me the desired target curve. See green curve below. Below 25hz, it drops very fast. Maybe my room and sub placement is just not optimalt for <25hz and doesnt give enough room gain. I bought a cheap SVS PC13 sub and crosses it over to the JBLs at 25hz now. (Not on the graphs). This gives extension down to 14hz and is much better for movies. And I still get the great sound of the 4645c from 30hz and up.

first you say below 25hz and then you say above 30 hz

Thread Information