Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: s1s-ex vs 4645c

leif

s1s-ex vs 4645c

Anyone have any opinions about these two subs?
    They both use the 2442H, and both enclosures are 225 liters.
    The price here is Norway is 3 times as high on the s1s-ex as the 4645H.
    Are they actually equal, exept for the finish? (and that one have 3 ports, while the other has 1)?

Leif

Other than cosmetics...

I would use the cheaper one myself

Regards, Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

This was discussed elswhere.
    The 2 units are the same (except design).
    The one is professional and therefore has a reasonable price, the other is synthesis and therefore has a not reasonable price.

Obsolete
    The S1S and 4645 are functionally equivalent - the ubiquitous 8 cubic foot volume tuned to 25 Hz first started way back when with the B460.

There are some S1S's and 4645's out there in the field with 30 Hz tuning frequencies instead of the 25 Hz tuning frequency. They usually use the older 2245H instead of the newer 2242H. At one point JBL was trying to keep 2245H's from blowing up left and right so they changed the tuning frequency upwards 5 Hz. When the monster 2242H became available they went back to the 25 Hz tuning frequency.

The S1S-EX uses the 2242H in a 6.5 cubic foot volume tuned to 25 Hz using three 4" flared tubes.

3 times for the same performance

the 4645c is a bit larger in volume but it si slimmer

4645c H1010 x W67.4 x D45 = 225 liter (internal)
    S1S ex H87.6 x W53.3 x D55.9 = 185 liter (internal)

it an easy decision here

but then why the smaller but deeper enclosure

for installation in rooms deeper has more problems than slimmer designs

4313b Is there some adjustment done too the volume too work better in small rooms?

4645c was intended for large spaces

there must be a way to the smaller but not so practical enclosure

ping: 4313B

I too am interested if a smaller size cabinet(but tuned higher) that could be used in a smaller room.

The only difference for me is not needing response below 35hz as my room nodes go crazy below that. So the tuning for my scenario would be higher than most folks need for a larger room!

Regards, Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Valentin View Post

4313b Is there some adjustment done too the volume too work better in small rooms?

4645c was intended for large spaces

there must be a way to the smaller but not so practical enclosure
    JBL Pro for home use!

Quote Originally Posted by spkrman57 View Post
    I too am interested if a smaller size cabinet(but tuned higher) that could be used in a smaller room.

The only difference for me is not needing response below 35hz as my room nodes go crazy below that.
    So then why use a stadium sized subwoofer? I would stick with the LE14H-x or 2235H woofers.

Widget

Room nodes....

Widget,

I have 2235's and they get the room nodes fired up way too soon and they tend to sound boomy.

My room is really small and I have thoughts of a pair of 2240 18" drivers to perform between approx 38hz to 100hz-200hz to fill in under a 3-way horn-loaded system. The higher efficiency of the 2240's also help the blend between the LF and midbass horns.

Regards, Ron

Regards, Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

it would be very interesting to me at least to know way the change in the enclosure size

it is hard too believe that it was only esthetically change

Obsolete
    Because there is very little difference in the response of the driver between the 6.5 and 8.0 cubic foot volumes, something like a 1 dB difference.

Like I posted several times before, this driver doesn't like really big boxes. It's Vas is only ~ 10 cubic feet. That's roughly the same Vas as an old 12-inch 128H-1 folks...

1db difference is not really palpable

maybe better transients, impulse response, or the way it couples to the room etc.

as you state the driver does not like really big boxes so the change makes sense so other characteristics must have been improved

both systems must be killer subs with very small differences as you state and the price difference is just too much.

you can get a new 4645c for Les than 1000 shipped to your home and a killer sub amp (crown dsi1000 bridged)for Les 1000. that includes an parametric 6 band eq and hi pass and low pass filters

this system will kick but in the 2000 usd category by far

one array1500 will cost you 4 grand it will go lower but i think please comment you wont bet better bass than a properly set of two 4645c

the only inconvenience is the size of the box

Obsolete
    1db difference is not really palpable

maybe better transients, impulse response, or the way it couples to the room etc.

as you state the driver does not like really big boxes so the change makes sense so other characteristics must have been improved

both systems must be killer subs with very small differences as you state and the price difference is just too much.

you can get a new 4645c for Les than 1000 shipped to your home and a killer sub amp (crown dsi1000 bridged)for Les 1000. that includes an parametric 6 band eq and hi pass and low pass filters

this system will kick but in the 2000 usd category by far

one array1500 will cost you 4 grand it will go lower but i think please comment you wont bet better bass than a properly set of two 4645c

the only inconvenience is the size of the box
    I just saw this via a linking thread.

Making the box smaller decreases group delay and that can have a positive effect on transient response.

My take on the whole subject is that the 2242H was intended as a very high power replacement for all the abused 2245H's that were originally installed in the 4645 boxes.

At some point someone realized that nearly the same performance could be obtained from the 2242H by moving to the smaller 6.5 cubic foot box of the S1S-EX (can't do that with a 2245H). I've been told that JBL has since come up with a new eighteen that behaves more like the venerable 2245H. I can't remember the model number right now.

The 1500 Array would be my choice if cost were no object. It's a non-SR package that is purpose-built for home hi-fi. I know the pricing can be confusing but you really have to consider the target markets.

JBL 4645
    As for the ports on sevreal of the JBL 46 sub bass model range some have two ports like on the JBL 4645B they bend inwarads at 45 degee angle. The sub has nice deep low end shake n' feel.

Wink

thanks for your coments

The 1500 Array would be my choice if cost were no object
    mine too (design i like more the hb5000)but at the moment cost is factor
    especially if you think in buying 2 units for better in room bass

but i think my 2 b460 (2242) clones in my specialized music room should do extremely well

I've been told that JBL has since come up with a new eighteen that behaves more like the venerable 2245H. I can't remember the model number right now.
    maybe in the near future

JBL 4645
    thanks for your coments

mine too (design i like more the hb5000)but at the moment cost is factor
    especially if you think in buying 2 units for better in room bass

but i think my 2 b460 (2242) clones in my specialized music room should do extremely well

maybe in the near future
    Maybe stereo sub bass!

Thread Information