Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: amp- best bang 4 your buck

amp- best bang 4 your buck

I did do some research on power amp ss and tube. my speaker can be bi-amp i useing a 75watt rms old sansui g-8000 receiver and boy do they sound good but i want much more power. between 250 to 400 watts rms. the used amps I was looking at are mcintosh mc 352- bryston 4 b sst- hafler 9500- rotel rb 1090- parasound hca 3500-now the amps some people rave are pass lab- mark L-krell- and etc I dont want to spend nor do I have that type of money. and if I go with bi amp I was thinking of a used crown k2 and a used music reference tube amp so what amp give u the most bang 4 your buck and wont put me in the dog house or poor house If this help I have a pionner spec 1 preamp and my speakers are below
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I really doubt you need a big amp, but if you feel the need, I'd recommend the Hafler 9505. They are very solid, sound good and are very affordable. Your system seems tight for space though and they do need some breathing room... no fans only convection for cooling.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I really doubt you need a big amp, but if you feel the need, I'd recommend the Hafler 9505. They are very solid, sound good and are very affordable. Your system seems tight for space though and they do need some breathing room... no fans only convection for cooling.

Widget
    u r right widget the room is small its called my room no wife no kids just mine thanks 4 the info

If you like the Sansui, this one.....

Adcom maybe?

I'm using two Adcom GFA-5802s to biamp a pair of Martin Logan Ascent i. I've used a single in the past to drive several different pairs of JBLs and Altecs (definately overkill for Altecs but perfect for the JBLs). I went to two after I got the Logans and they have no problem driving the electrostatic panels to fairly loud levels.

They're rated for 350 watts per channel into 8 ohms, they're advertised as a Pass design (I'm sure there are some compromises for cost but if you look at the schematic of one you can see some of his work - all mosfets, simple gain stages, bypassed caps, etc...) It's kind of a blue colar amp, it just goes out there and works for years. I know there are better amps out there but the extra cost keeps me from upgrading. If I could afford Pass amps I'd be going that way.

I've seen them go for some reasonable prices on Audiogon along with some of the older versions. The mosfet amps are fairly stout but replacement output fets for the older models might be out of production. As an alternative you could consider the 555. Those are going really cheap.

If anything, they'll keep you warm in the winter.

Tony

I've had a Bryston 4B SST for a few years now and can't see me ever changing it. It just sites there, runs cool and really gripes the JBL low end.

Widget
    I recommend that one too but the Hafler 9505s seem to be hard to come by but if you find one jump on it fast.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwedge View Post
    I recommend that one too but the Hafler 9505s seem to be hard to come by....:
    I have two, am I greedy?

I like them quite a bit. They replaced a pair of Hafler XL-600s I had. I see 9505s from time to time on both agon and eBay. They are typically sub $800 each.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyoz View Post
    I've had a Bryston 4B SST for a few years now and can't see me ever changing it. It just sites there, runs cool and really gripes the JBL low end.
    I agree... I'd go for those too, but they cost more than the Haflers do.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Andyoz View Post
    I had one, and bartered it away for repairs on my 4333As...in some ways, that might have been self-defeating, and I kinda regret it...a really good-sounding amp.

Currently using an Adcom 2535 to bi-amp the 4333As (60WPC x 4), and plan on employing a second one & bridging some channels so I'd have ~200WPC for lows & 60 WPC for highs.

je

I have two, am I greedy?

I like them quite a bit. They replaced a pair of Hafler XL-600s I had. I see 9505s from time to time on both agon and eBay. They are typically sub $800 each.

Widget
    Yeah you are! Trade them to me for my P500s!

I love CROWN! mELLOW MIDS, AND nothing, yeah, nothing KIcks LF like crown!

I grew up on Crown, been thru BGW, Bryston, MaC, eVEN HAVE SOME MCORMAKS!
    crown rockzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

scottyj

That's Why There's Still a King and Queen......

.......Because there's no substitute for "The Crown". This perpetuity eminent....always without plaint...oscillating vibratory disturbances of sonority....conducting algid amid adventure...the sovereignty of the castle. .....goes well with altecs and mustard!

Follow Widget's advice and get the Hafler if you can. It's worth every penny and is an exceptional deal at current prices. It's got phenomenal bandwidth that others can match (at greater cost) but cannot beat.
    Out.

thanks I will post here looking for hafler 9505 and check ebay and audiogon as well

I am currently using two Crown K1'2 and four DC300 Series 2's in my TV room and it rocks. "CROWN FOR LIFE"

Thread Information