Thread: A Discussion

A Discussion

Today I have had discussions regarding pro gear and home gear with two different people, having their opinions.

Like to share it with you, and hear your comments.

The reason was that I was going to buy a couple of XLR plugs for my new setup.

HI-FI guy said: "These gold plated XLR's make a sound difference"

Pro Guy said: These are the original XLR's that are used in all pro equipment".

Price? The pro was about 1/3 pf the Hi-Fi XLR's.

I bought the pro ones.

I am thinking: If the pro (plugs and cables) is used to produce a CD, is it possible that the more expensive gold XLR's ones can make the sound better in playback? ... In a home system?

As far as my mind can think, if the signals producing the CD is A, how can something else, more expensive in reproducing make it better?

Any ideas?

I think it would have more to do with long reliability of the contacts in un contolled environments

That said there are a lot of JUNK pro XL connectors out there that use a lot of JUNK Cables.

I mean a cheap set of 3 metres XL to XL cables might cost $22.00 while the best pair might cost $79.95

Its not something that I would loose much sleep over.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    I think it would have more to do with long reliability of the contacts in un contolled environments

That said there are a lot of JUNK pro XL connectors out there that use a lot of JUNK Cables.

I mean a cheap set of 3 metres XL to XL cables might cost $22.00 while the best pair might cost $79.95

Well Ian, the cables are the ones used in most studios today, as well as the connectors. I guess the total of a pair will be about US$ 20 pr meter. (3ft) I need 3m (about 9ft) per amp. That is US$ 60 per amp. You think the "high end audio cables" will do any better? Price about US$ 200 to ???

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    i tend to use pro connectors (usually made by switchcraft) as opposed to using Hi-Fi type (say, for example, the Eichman Bullet RCA) connectors...

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Yep.
    Quote Originally Posted by louped garouv View Post
    i tend to use pro connectors (usually made by switchcraft)...
    I generally use Neutrik.

Rolf, I think you should buy whatever makes you happiest, since as long as the connection is solid and free of oxidation, they will all sound the same.

Along those lines... instead of spending money on your cables, go through all of the connections with contact cleaner, you may have to work a little harder, but the pay off will be greater.

Widget

I use a decent amount of Pro XLR's in my active and biamp set-ups. I just go into Guitar Center and get Hosa or Mogami interconnects.

http://www.hosatech.com/catalog/catalog.php

They have all metal connectors, real strain relief and will be working long after I am gone.

I just look for well made stuff and I am not worried about anything else but reliability. I see Monster in there at 2-3 times the price with molded plastic connector bodies. Just makes me laugh.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Why did you capitalize monster? Is it someone's exclusive worldwide trademark and personal intellectual property to the exclusion of all others?
    Out.

Well...It starts with a band or orchestra maybe plugged into whatever..Fender amps? with a 1/4" something or Neuman's with XLR's, just plain old standard XLR's( I've been in many major studios and worked as a consultant for Moog Synthesizers in Buffalo NY. The original company was six blocks from my house). Through all the recording gear...xeroxed, Polaroided, and copied.. then to print on a SACD, CD, or DVD. When it plays through your system, in which some are more highly sensitive to any insertion as to studio gear, does it make a difference? I think you would have to own designer, mega-buck, currently the adjectives are endless, and jeweled pots equipment to hear any appreciative difference. I made air dialectic interconnects from chemistry tubing, cat 5e wire 45'd, and a larger diameter clear neoprene tubing covering it all. Connectors were Neutriks, gold contacts just because they were a few cents more. My speaker cables are two pairs of 12 awg, solid copper house wire spun in an electric drill to 45 them too. Costs? $10 an interconnect and about $2 a side for my speakers. Time? About an hour for all. Check out <FullCompass.com> online for some really nice equipment and prices cheaper than Parts Direct. Jeenie.

Thread Information