Thread: How would an LX22 end up badged as an LX55?

How would an LX22 end up badged as an LX55?

OK, I answered a local ad on Craig's List for a pair of LX55s for $50 "or make offer". I couldn't get by for nearly a week and went to see them this evening. I was hoping for a 3-way with 10" stamped woofer and the 026Ti "pure titanium" tweeter, but the photos just didn't look in scale for something supposedly 26" tall. That turned out to be the case when I saw them in person. Taking off the grilles showed a 2-way with the 026Ti, but only a tiny LF driver, nominally a 6.5" but measuring much smaller in actual usable cone diameter. I've since determined it to be an LX22 after removing the 406G to confirm.

Not a bad little speaker for $25. The cabinet is incredibly stout with a thick MDF baffle covered in a foam "baffle pad" that encompasses the entire area under the grille with the speakers mounted on top of it. The 026Ti gets a bit shrill when pushed, but then it is being asked to cover the range of an 075 ring radiator when used as a 2-way with a D130. Might be asking a bit much. While the little 6.5" produces something one might consider bass beyond expectations, the mid-range hole sounds like the little guy is missing a complete formant. Well, maybe it's not that bad, but it's sure no L20T or L1, not by a long shot.

But to the original question and subject of this thread: These are most definitely labeled as LX55s. The sticker on the back of the cabinet is unmolested, securely attached, authentic, and clearly says these are LX55s. Even the serial number stickers are still on the terminal cup, which blessedly has openings large enough and spaced to fit a dual-banana plug so I didn't have to undo my wiring from my L5s to see what these LX22/55s sounded like with 200wpc of Crown PS400. So, what could have happened that had these little guys being sold labeled as LX55s? The wife was the original owner. The couple have been married for four years and recently bought some new piece of furniture that the JBLs wouldn't fit so they bought some tiny—wait for it—Bose speakers for their "entertainment" system. This is the first time I've seen someone selling 16"-tall 6.5" woofered JBLs because they were too large! Even my kids thought that was a laugh.

But now my curiosity is piqued. How could these things have escaped Northridge with the complete wrong label on the back? Surely the box would have been correct since the LX22 is the only one of the series to come boxed as a pair. I'm reasonably certain they must have been sold as LX22 and no one paid any attention to the labels until the day they listed them on Craig's List. It'd be a pretty dumb scam to try to sell these little things as their larger brothers. The speakers are in perfect shape, the cabinets well-cared-for, and no marks on them. Do you suppose JBL could tell me what the serial numbers match to?

I figured Fred might need some more 026Ti's some day so my $25 wasn't totally wasted. They might be just the ticket for my 14-year-old. But the nagging question is what happened on the assembly line? Very odd. :dont-know

A pair of LX55 JBL speakers. Good condition. $50 OBO.

Reply from Harmon Customer Support inquiry (or: what did you expect?)
    Hello Phil,
    Thank you for the inquiry. I am very sorry to hear of the
    mislabel! I have never heard of this happening with any other speakers
    we have produced, so I am shocked. I don't believe we stock the labels,
    but you can inquire with our parts department for availability and cost
    by writing them at [email protected].

Best Regards,

(name withheld)
    Harman Technical Support
    [email protected]
    No reply concerning tracking the serial numbers.

Interesting...yeah, the 026Ti is the tweet in my HP420s, thanks for thinking of me! I'm curious to hear these little fidgets, too bad the error wasn't the other way 'round.

I got my HP420s 'cause they didn't need "big old" speakers around, too. I wouldn't mind shoe-horning those 406Gs in where my 405Gs are, but I don't think the doghouse behind 'em would let me.

More for us, as the lemmings go buy Bose.

je

Well, they call the 406G a "6.5-inch" woofer, but the actual cone is barely over 5.5" across.

You were waiting for an 026Ti but I don't remember if you ever got it, or if it was working when you did. Are you all back together on those HP420s?

Wonder why they crossed yours at 3500Hz in a 3-way? That's still expecting an awful lot out of the 026Ti. It's 4kHz in the 3-way LX44 and LX55 which both use the 405G, too.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Well, they call the 406G a "6.5-inch" woofer, but the actual cone is barely over 5.5" across.

You were waiting for an 026Ti but I don't remember if you ever got it, or if it was working when you did. Are you all back together on those HP420s?

Wonder why they crossed yours at 3500Hz in a 3-way? That's still expecting an awful lot out of the 026Ti. It's 4kHz in the 3-way LX44 and LX55 which both use the 405G, too.
    The HP420 expects a LOT out of the 405G.

I got a cheap pair of after-market 026Ti clones, they were just OK. I ended up getting another OEM 026Ti for ~$10 on E-Bay which worked fine. I still haven't really found a home here for the HP420s, but if they went into regular circulation I'd stock up on extra tweets. Hmmm...the 405Gs have a wide flange, I wonder if the 406G could get in there...by the way, the twin subs in the HPs are the 506G, also listed as 6.5" drivers.

The 405G is the mid in the LX600s, too, with an 027Ti on top- that x-over is at 4.7kHz.

je
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Actually, JBL calls the 506G in the HP420 a 6" (152mm) and the 406G in the LX22 a 6.5" (165mm). Not that anyone else here cares!
    I'll measure the actual frame diameter in a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    Hmmm...the 405Gs have a wide flange, I wonder if the 406G could get in there...by the way, the twin subs in the HPs are the 506G, also listed as 6.5" drivers.

Actually, JBL calls the 506G in the HP420 a 6" (152mm) and the 406G in the LX22 a 6.5" (165mm). Not that anyone else here cares!
    Depends which lit you look at, they refer to it as both a 6" and a 6.5", for some reason.

je

It's hilarious that the JBL rep suggests you might be able to buy new stickers. I guess he had to write something.
    Out.

The 406G measures right at 7-5/16" across the face of the frame. 5.5" from one outer edge of the surround to the other, FWIW. Maybe they average the two to come up with 6.5"???

Thread Information