Thread: L300s: How high off the floor?

L300s: How high off the floor?

Evening, Friends,

I've been thinking about raising our L300's a bit higher than they are, so the HF stuff is closer to our ears, just to see how they sound. Have any of you L300 owners done something like that, and if so, how high did you raise them? I once considered using the 4333 cabinets, with only 2235H woofers and no other components, as subwoofers, underneath the L300's. But everytime I think about doing that, I realize how HUGE that "stack" would be!! Any thoughts, or suggestions, just for grins? Thanks, very much, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Jeenie Sez....Open Sesamee.....

Hey! You again! Just my thoughts after studying a multitude of high-end books, a few magazine articles, and numerous speaker reviews. Put speakers where they sound their best to you. There is no set formula or specific manufacturer or speaker size etc. Some people need to have them straight out, some toed in, others hanging from the ceiling and on and on. What you're trying to achieve is a sound stage, where the instruments, vocals, or both sound like they're coming from their real time live positions. For classical music, the tympani's should psychologically, for us humans, appear to emanate from the ceiling ( live would have their position high and to the rear left of the rest of the orchestra). Violins should appear to come from the floor, stage right. Wherever their position is live, it should sound ( as close as can be) or appear to be coming from that position (psycho-acoustics). The better the equipment, the easier and more pronounced this situation will be. Yes....you have to take the time and grunt the boxes here and there, then over there, oh...here!...nope...I'll try this ...and so on. Listening material doesn't matter, but a short piece of maybe two or three examples can be used for comparisons and achievement of a stage in your living room. It took me (casually) months to find the precise spot where my speakers performed their best; countless positions. There is no formula. A certain highly respected audiophile connected with Stereo Review Magazine, at an equipment convention and show this past Fall, took low end equipment and through a process he has down pat, achieved some spectacular results (so the article went on to say) in the musicality of the speakers chosen. He stated it was all in their placement and relation to the room dampening factors, reflection, and absorption. Hope I might have shed an eeensy bit of light on the subject. Take care Gene.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi Doc,

I don't have the same problem as you because I use L150's. If you have a look at these cabinets you will find that the tweeter is at ear level. The L220 and L222 work on the same principle. I would be tempted to raise your L300's to the same level.

The answer to the question depends on how high your seating apparatus is. We liked Fred Sanford's sideways on-the-floor 4333s best when we were sitting on the floor, too.

Or get some L7s, then you can even walk around the room!

Guy L
    Hi Doc,

I raised mine an extra 6 inches. Made new 8 inch raisers. I think it improved both imaging and bass became more accurate to my ears.

Guy

Dear Doc,

Two words...

Cement Blocks!

Remember, like when we were younger and had no money!

Cement blocks! always free. always found!

You just stack the L300's on top of the cement blocks!

Then let the Mother-In-law come to visit! "my heavens sweet bride, your husband is bringing cemant blocks into the house!?! Why, I declare. The nerve of that man of yours!!! Now, if you married so and so, you would have a husband with a bose like mine, and not need these big ugly speakers in the proper living room sitting atop cement blocks!!!"

Oh yeah! I can just hear it, can't you?

Doc, If you choose to raise the L300's a little bit, maybe a couple of tubafours in height, it wouldn't kill you!

All in fun and good hearted ribbing at your MIL. Nothing more. I have a MIL, too. She thinks I am a little too heavy on sound gear, and way to light on good health coverage for her daughter!

Scotty.

ps. Remember how to tell if the drum riser is level...

Its when drool comes out of both sides of the drummers mouth!
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC² ±3db

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    Hi Doc,

I don't have the same problem as you because I use L150's. If you have a look at these cabinets you will find that the tweeter is at ear level. The L220 and L222 work on the same principle. I would be tempted to raise your L300's to the same level.
    That's why I always preferred the 4333.

The L300 is what it is... a sloped baffle floor stander. Buy three and LCR them under the screen. Then fly four 4333's at the sides and rear.

Hi Doc
    In my case I raised mine 4.5 inches it got the 077 at ear level at the seating position and in my opinion tightened the bass which was really the reason that I raised mine in the first place. I started with 2x4's and played with different combinations and then moved to inexpensive mover dollies that happened to be the perfect height and also allowed me to experiment without scratching wood floors to find the perfect placement in the room.

Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    Hi Doc,

This has always been a strong point with me as to the L220's design...

Pete
    L220A's w/B460; 4313B's w/2241-based Sub; 4401's w/JL Audio E112

Greetings, All,

Thanks, very much, for the comments and suggestions! Much appreciated. In truth, I'm not unhappy about the way our L300's sound even as they are. But, I've just been wondering what difference, if any, I'd hear by raising them up a bit. Regis, from whom I bought these wonderful speakers, had had new bases built for them, out of hardwood, and they are as solid as a rock. As they are now, they sit 3" off the floor. I may play around with this, and see what happens with incremental raising of the L300's. If I had a really strong neighbor, I'd put them on top of the 4333's, just for grins, and to take advantage of a fun "photo-op"!

4313B, your suggestion sounds like fun, except for two things: We'd be deaf in no time, and our room is too small for having three L300's, and four 4333's in it!! Oh, yeah, and one other thing: I'd need a bit of coin to add that extra stuff to our system, including enough to upgrade all the electronics!! Guess I'll just keep "slumming it" with our L300's, and also the 4333's when they are up and running! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mark View Post
    4313B, your suggestion sounds like fun, except for two things: We'd be deaf in no time, and our room is too small for having three L300's, and four 4333's in it!!
    Ah! Well... such is the lot of most of us I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mark View Post
    Evening, Friends,

I've been thinking about raising our L300's a bit higher than they are, so the HF stuff is closer to our ears, just to see how they sound. Have any of you L300 owners done something like that, and if so, how high did you raise them? I once considered using the 4333 cabinets, with only 2235H woofers and no other components, as subwoofers, underneath the L300's. But everytime I think about doing that, I realize how HUGE that "stack" would be!! Any thoughts, or suggestions, just for grins? Thanks, very much, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    Hi Doc. By the way, haven't you received my PM?

So. I experimented at the time I had my 4333A's. (Pro version of your L300) I found the best by making a socket of one ft. As the L300 is "leaning backwards", I would guess a half ft.

Hi, Rolf!

Thanks for your suggestion on the L300/4333. When time permits, I'll play around with raising the L300's up a tad, just for grins, and see if I note any difference that makes raising them worthwhile.

I just checked my PM box, and have no new PM's from you, Rolf. Did you send it from here, or as a regular email? Let me know, and I'll go back through my email and see if I missed it. In any case, it's good to hear from you.

OK, off to work for me. Talk to you later, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Regular e-mail Doc.

Thread Information