Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hook up question

... having owned a pair of older Perreaux amplifiers that were likely precursors to the
    350 (at least in concept), I would not hesitate to use them in the way proposed initially
    in this thread.

(2150B, 3150, still have a 5000B)

-grumpy

Well, after having read the answers her I have decided to try both options. Very easy. I am waiting for my new balanced cables (3m , about 9ft) to be used. Standard xlr plugs. I have chosen to use standard balanced cables, price about US$ 5 a meter (3 ft). Later I will borrow some expensive balanced cables, and listen if they sound any better. Thanks for all replies, and if anybody have more to fill in, please do.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    ... having owned a pair of older Perreaux amplifiers that were likely precursors to the
    350 (at least in concept), I would not hesitate to use them in the way proposed initially
    in this thread.

(2150B, 3150, still have a 5000B)

-grumpy
    Yes you are right. I ones owned a 2150B myself, along with the pre-amp SM2, witch I still have in a closet. If you know anybody who want the SM2 it is for sale. (Very cheap)

I've attached an example pic ... they made a nice basis for a simple 2-ch system
    with a worthwhile phono pre included.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    I've attached an example pic ... they made a nice basis for a simple 2-ch system
    with a worthwhile phono pre included.
    Yes, this is the one I have.

Quote Originally Posted by jblbgw_man View Post
    Well giving consideration to what you have been told, then it's a wonder how any amp will go driving the full audio bandwidth with both channels driven? Again considering what you have been told if you apply some logic then an amp (not bi-amped) is normally having to drive a mix of LF and HF x 2 (channels), the proposed way it is only driving 1 x LF and 1 x HF, therefore the demands on the power supply are halved compared to driving 2 x the audio spectrum, gotta be better off ........ oh and ask them to define the term "trouble", it's a little broad, as far as LF demanding a lot of Power and HF demanding a lot of amps, if we apply simple Ohms Law we realise the 2 are related, can't have one without the other ......, it may be more appropriate to say that LF may impose more peak current demand from the power supply than HF, either way using some logic to what you have been told then you are still better off, or of course you could try it "both ways" so to speak and post your findings
    the amp will not have any problems with the speaker. the thing is to get the max out of the power.
    with one amp, you have an max level at xx-w. ore at xx-a (driving wofers. ore xx-volts fore some mid/tweters.
    the amp will not get any higher amps out conecting yhis way. if you bridge the anp, you will duble the transistors ,and give more current, ore Amps.
    the other cannel, will brake down when owerloading the wofer-chanel.
    ore vv if high voltage apears in the other chanel.
    conecting one amp to wofers, and the other to top. the amps wil have the same conditions, right and left chanel.
    also one atvantage it the chanel separation. normaly its more easy for the power-amp with the same ohms/phase riht/left chanel.
    try it out, if the amps are good ( like the pair Rolf have ) i think you im my way the system have more power. probably bether sound, but not always

Rolf,

If you were closer i would be interested greatly to match my 2 6000b (passive bi amped CC 250TIs) and 3000b for center channel

Mark
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I've seen this type of set-up before and it seems to be the norm in boutique photos of ultimate systems. But I've always wondered whether the required longer line-level output from pre-amp (or other source) to the remote amps might be worse for fidelity than speaker-level long runs of wire between amp and speakers.

I'm asking more than commenting. :dont-know
    No, long line BALANCED cables do not have any effect. One ft. or twenty ft. doesn't matter. Anyway that is what I have read. With UNBALANCED the result will be less good.

Below there is pictures of my setup. Right power amp gives R Ch to woofer and L Ch to the rest. Same with Left power amp.

Last picture is of my 2 Ch (partly, except for the EAD, witch is a processor that can do the most channels) system.

First lightening's seems that the new setup is better. More attack, better perspective, but to early to jump to a final conclusion.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Hi folks.

Well, after experimenting and listening at "all" listening levels there in no doubt in my mind that the best setup is one stereo amp for each speaker, using left ch for the lo and right ch for the rest. (or visa verse). A lot more power, dynamics, less distortion etc. In all, better sound.

Just thought you like to know.

Yesterday I invested in a Sony 52" HD TV, a Topfield HD satellite receiver. The picture in 1080 is inced-ably.

Anybody who has something similar?

It is always best to keep speaker lines short as posible. Using a balanced line 5 feet is no harm at all. I have run balanced lines well over 200 feet with no problem in multi level venues. I would never run speaker cables over 50 to 65 feet. Most the time at "live" events the amp racks are really close to the speaker array. Everything else is balanced lines. And most of the time FOH is pretty far away. But im sure everyone already knows this...

I always custom make my XLR runs. I use a plunum rated 2 conductor sheilded cable. I forget the brand but its pretty good stuff.

Very nice setup by the way!

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by clubman View Post
    It is always best to keep speaker lines short as posible. Using a balanced line 5 feet is no harm at all. I have run balanced lines well over 200 feet with no problem in multi level venues. I would never run speaker cables over 50 to 65 feet. Most the time at "live" events the amp racks are really close to the speaker array. Everything else is balanced lines. And most of the time FOH is pretty far away. But im sure everyone already knows this...

I always custom make my XLR runs. I use a plunum rated 2 conductor sheilded cable. I forget the brand but its pretty good stuff.

Very nice setup by the way!
    Nice post. Later I will get rid of the Process and get a new 2ch pre amp. Sending picks when is is done,

Plunum rated?? Do you mean Plenum cable?

Thats not an Audio spec, its a safety spec. for enclosed chambers (like above a drop ceiling or elevator shafts, etc)

That just means its fire-code rated for use in commercial enterprise ...

But its a GOOD THING to use commercially, don't get me wrong ...
    (as long as it doesn't affect the sound ...)

I always custom make my XLR runs. I use a plunum rated 2 conductor shielded cable. I forget the brand but its pretty good stuff.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

oh yeah I did mean Plenum. I was just stating the fact that it was plenum rated cable. Didnt mean for it to sound like I thought it effects sound quality just b/c its plenum cable.

It is a Belden cable.

oh yeah I did mean Plenum. I was just stating the fact that it was plenum rated cable. Didnt mean for it to sound like I thought it effects sound quality just b/c its plenum cable.

It is a Belden cable.

Big fan of Belden - quality stuff ...
    Def sounds like the right way to go!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thread Information