Thread: L110s vs. Century L100

L110s vs. Century L100

I am picking up a pair of century L100s off craigslist for $160. I have never heard this model. How will they compare to my L110s?? or my L65s?? I would appreciate any input, thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by infinityQ2 View Post
    I am picking up a pair of century L100s off craigslist for $160. I have never heard this model. How will they compare to my L110s?? or my L65s??
    No highs, no lows. Must me . . .

Oh, that's another brand.

Have fun.

I like my L110s much better in every way than my L100A/Century pairs. Crossover is no comparison, the L110 is far more complex and effective. I like the 033 dome tweeter much more than the paper cone on the L100s. The woofer in the L110, although smaller in diameter, is a better design and a very good driver.

I have ~$75 in my four L100As, and to me they're just OK. I have about $300 in my two L110s, and I'm thrilled.

YMMV.

je

I am picking up a pair of century L100s off craigslist for $160. I have never heard this model. How will they compare to my L110s?? or my L65s?? I would appreciate any input, thanks guys.
    Have you got them yet? Please let us know how they sound compared to the others!

century 100

Quote Originally Posted by Triumph Don View Post
    Have you got them yet? Please let us know how they sound compared to the others!
    After the input from my JBL family, I decided not to pick up these speakers that I have been dreaming of for , well, since I can remember. Which brings me back to my original point. What is it about the L110s??????? On a lighter note, is it cheating using the loudness button????

After the input from my JBL family, I decided not to pick up these speakers that I have been dreaming of for , well, since I can remember. Which brings me back to my original point. What is it about the L110s??????? On a lighter note, is it cheating using the loudness button????
    L100 Century's voicing kind of IS like a loudness button.

For me & the L110s it's a well-designed crossover, low listening fatigue, accurate reproduction, effortless dynamics. I don't know that I've ever used them with a receiver or integrated amp, actually, always a mixer and power amp. They do benefit from a sub for my purposes, but only as a helper from 60Hz & down or so.

I've found that my JBLs tend to over-react from a loudness button...maybe they're more efficient than other brands, and the contour that receivers use (calculated from VC level/amp power/expected acoustic output) is out of whack when used with higher sensitivity speakers...I don't know. The HP420s like it, but other than that....

By the way, as a $$ investment, a clean, working pair of L100s for $160 is not something you'd get stuck with for long if you didn't like them. That wasn't the question you asked, though.

je

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    L100 Century's voicing kind of IS like a loudness button.

For me & the L110s it's a well-designed crossover, low listening fatigue, accurate reproduction, effortless dynamics. I don't know that I've ever used them with a receiver or integrated amp, actually, always a mixer and power amp. They do benefit from a sub for my purposes, but only as a helper from 60Hz & down or so.

I've found that my JBLs tend to over-react from a loudness button...maybe they're more efficient than other brands, and the contour that receivers use (calculated from VC level/amp power/expected acoustic output) is out of whack when used with higher sensitivity speakers...I don't know. The HP420s like it, but other than that....

By the way, as a $$ investment, a clean, working pair of L100s for $160 is not something you'd get stuck with for long if you didn't like them. That wasn't the question you asked, though.

je

I run my L110s off a pioneer sx-1250 and I agree that they over react with the loudness on, but at low levels it is nice. If anyone is interested ,I think the L100s are still available, they show some wear but I've been told they are musically fine. see photos....
    Attached Images Attached Images   

New to forum, old to JBL

A little history: I sold stereo back in the 1970's and when we finally got JBL, we were all very excited. They blew away everything else we were selling.

This was back just before JBL switched from Alnico to Ceramic. I bought a pair of JBL L110's with Alnico magnets. I bought them for their accuracy.

Years later I went out on a date and she brought me to her home. She had L100's as her speakers. It was love at first sight. I immediately married her - naturally. She had JBL's - we were meant to be together.

Now several years ago the foam did what it does on the L110's so I now use them as expensive stands for her L100's. I actually love both speakers - I appreciate that the L100's are a bit boomier but they are clean - typical JBL.

But now I want to fix the L110's and I bought a foam kit (one only just to try) from Simply Speakers. I figured I would post here before I begin gluing and see if I should use another foam kit. You are all the experts on this stuff.

btw: I remember way back then our JBL rep told me of something they tried in their chamber in Northridge. They took a pair of L110's and placed a foam roll in each port. They then added the sub from the L212. He said it was awesome! So there you go - the poor man's L212.

So I am thinking of repairing the L110's and then get a sub to place in a corner, just to extend the bass. Since I now listen at relatively low volumes, it would be very cool for those action scenes on the big screen. I will let everyone here know my impressions of this experiment.

I completely agree that one should not mess with success. Many people did not understand that the L-110's were dead on accurate with exceptional imaging. Untrained ears always used the Loudness button.

There is one disadvantage to JBL's clean sound. Our tech back then bought a pair of L300's and placed them in the living room of his 900 square foot house. He would literally shake the foundations. I went over there a couple of times. No doubt, that has contributed to my partial hearing loss.

I listened to every current JBL's back then on a daily basis. The L220 Oracle was my favorite. I wish I had the money back then to buy them. Nothing to me sounds this good. Not even my brother in laws new $100,000.00 speakers. But I will never tell him that. Besides, it's just me. We all have preferences. For example, I never liked the L65's high end. Again, just me.

I look forward to learning more from all of you. I appreciate the generosity of those here who share this information. Maybe one of you will keep me from ruining my woofers. ;-)

Vic Maris

Update on L110 resurround and sub

The foam kit I originally purchased did not fit. So I went to Rick Cobb based on advise here. What a great thing that was. Got two perfectly fitting surrounds, glue, clear instructions and the CD with test tone. I emailed him to ask a question and he was extremely helpful. Grreat guy. The repair, which I have never done before, went without a hitch. My old 110's are back to sounding awesome. Thanks Rick!

I also did what the JBL rep suggested back in the late 70's. I bought a used 100 W JBL sub for $100. I installed foam in the L110 ports and now I have a poor man's L212. The lack of low end color and extended bass without booming is awesome! What fun. It only took me 30 years to get around to this.

The L100's are clearly not as accurate as the L110's but I still love these speakers. They are now in my shop at work and I can rock out to Alan Parson's, Santana...etc etc while making telescopes. I am out under $150 and totally back in action with both sets iof JBL's.

Vic Maris

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Maris View Post
    New to forum, old to JBL

A little history: I sold stereo back in the 1970's and when we finally got JBL, we were all very excited. They blew away everything else we were selling.

This was back just before JBL switched from Alnico to Ceramic. I bought a pair of JBL L110's with Alnico magnets. I bought them for their accuracy.

Years later I went out on a date and she brought me to her home. She had L100's as her speakers. It was love at first sight. I immediately married her - naturally. She had JBL's - we were meant to be together.

Now several years ago the foam did what it does on the L110's so I now use them as expensive stands for her L100's. I actually love both speakers - I appreciate that the L100's are a bit boomier but they are clean - typical JBL.

But now I want to fix the L110's and I bought a foam kit (one only just to try) from Simply Speakers. I figured I would post here before I begin gluing and see if I should use another foam kit. You are all the experts on this stuff.

btw: I remember way back then our JBL rep told me of something they tried in their chamber in Northridge. They took a pair of L110's and placed a foam roll in each port. They then added the sub from the L212. He said it was awesome! So there you go - the poor man's L212.

So I am thinking of repairing the L110's and then get a sub to place in a corner, just to extend the bass. Since I now listen at relatively low volumes, it would be very cool for those action scenes on the big screen. I will let everyone here know my impressions of this experiment.

I completely agree that one should not mess with success. Many people did not understand that the L-110's were dead on accurate with exceptional imaging. Untrained ears always used the Loudness button.

There is one disadvantage to JBL's clean sound. Our tech back then bought a pair of L300's and placed them in the living room of his 900 square foot house. He would literally shake the foundations. I went over there a couple of times. No doubt, that has contributed to my partial hearing loss.

I listened to every current JBL's back then on a daily basis. The L220 Oracle was my favorite. I wish I had the money back then to buy them. Nothing to me sounds this good. Not even my brother in laws new $100,000.00 speakers. But I will never tell him that. Besides, it's just me. We all have preferences. For example, I never liked the L65's high end. Again, just me.

I look forward to learning more from all of you. I appreciate the generosity of those here who share this information. Maybe one of you will keep me from ruining my woofers. ;-)

Vic Maris

Good story with a happy ending. Where did you work Vic ? I did some time with Jim Crow at Stereo Showcase on Manzanita in Sac.

Thread Information