Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tube Friendly 2 Way Designs

Why don't you choose the quicker and much easier path and get a larger amp?

Amplifier Power vs. Sound

I have both larger ss and tube amps in house but they both have completely different sound character /flavors. The simplier tube designs simply sound amazing and more direct in their own way...

My favorite 2-way

JBL 2226 and large format compression driver/horn crossed over at 800hz or 1600hz.

97db/watt works really nice with my 300B SET amps!

Regards, Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

Bass just needs more.......

Quote Originally Posted by JoMoCo View Post
    I have both larger ss and tube amps in house but they both have completely different sound character /flavors. The simplier tube designs simply sound amazing and more direct in their own way...
    WATTS!!! Bi-amp with tubes on top and experience NIRVANA.

JBL 123A-1....12" Woofer

After some searching ... I am considering the JBL 123A-1 (possibly two in series to raise impedance and sensitivity slightly, maybe even try them in the proto Altec 817 cabs...the Honken Onken's, actually some well preserved Stanley Screamer's SS 1120-R) The 123A's appear to have been run by JBL full range in various configurations with simple high pass to the Mid or HF in simple 2way ie L88. Also the qts allows other options including dipole possibilities... and starting out with Zilch's econo wave for the HF first and moving up from there...

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthr...14#post1856214

Are these cabs to big for you? If you have the budget, I recommend going with the B&C for possibly more clarity on the upper end. That's what my friend with really good high frequency hearing told me. Otherwise, both of us are happy with this project. He might be starting his soon. If you have time, do a search on Russellc's posts.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthr...82#post2348382

Quote Originally Posted by TnTn View Post
    Are these cabs to big for you? If you have the budget, I recommend going with the B&C for possibly more clarity on the upper end. That's what my friend with really good high frequency hearing told me. Otherwise, both of us are happy with this project. He might be starting his soon. If you have time, do a search on Russellc's posts.

I combined JBL 4647 ( 4507 and 2225H ) and the Econowave using both the recommended selenium driver as well as JBL 2425H. Great results with all 4 ports open ( 40 hz ). Later switched to 2235H, one or two ports closed. Either one could be driven to ear splitting levels with a dyna ST 70.

Russellc

Quote Originally Posted by TnTn View Post

Hey tn, the cab size is OK If I could only find a set...that could be the hard part. Which B&C driver / horn combo are you refering to? can you post a link? Thanks.

Econowave & 2235 or 2225

Quote Originally Posted by Russellc View Post
    I combined JBL 4647 ( 4507 and 2225H ) and the Econowave using both the recommended selenium driver as well as JBL 2425H. Great results with all 4 ports open ( 40 hz ). Later switched to 2235H, one or two ports closed. Either one could be driven to ear splitting levels with a dyna ST 70.

Russellc
    Russellc, Thanks for the info...have you tried the 2225 or 2235 in your Altec cabs? What drivers are you using in them, 515's or ....?

I got lucky with the whole setup. One of old JBL experts I meet up with from time to time just happened onto a deal that day. He didn't want to take the cabs home due to having too much stuff already, so he sold them to me. We do see these cabs from time to time on eBay. Since I also have the Model 19, I would also recommend the 416-8B. It is not as accurate sounding as the JBL and does not go as low, but it sounds very nice and goes plenty low enough for me. They are very SET friendly as well.

The B&C compression driver is also used in Pi-Speaker's premium option. It is the DE250 but you could also use the BMS equivilent, if you could find it. Seems like BMS stuff is hard to find. Big disclosure, I have not have a chance to hear either the B&C or the BMS. Just going by what's written on the web. The horn I am using is the PT waveguide as detailed on the humongous AK thread. If you go to the first page and follow the links to the member's build page, you will see that people have tried

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=294-605

Quote Originally Posted by Russellc View Post

Russellc
    Confirming the 4507s/2226H's. A nice and reasonably efficient setup. Haven't gotten to the Econowave but have the parts. Currently, I use the 2445J and a 2380 CD horn.

The bigger question for our OP is what size room and how loud does he need it? This will determine wattage requirements, IMHO. Otherwise, all the other variables will make the project just that: Variable.

Cheers,

David

Quote Originally Posted by JoMoCo View Post
    Russellc, Thanks for the info...have you tried the 2225 or 2235 in your Altec cabs? What drivers are you using in them, 515's or ....?
    I had 515 8G, but now use 416 8C in the Altecs. The Jbl drivers arent big enough to fill the altec holes! I believe the Altecs are actually 16 inches. I think it can be done with some of the older 825 cabs?

Russellc

Thread Information