Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 4430 in a normal livingroom?

Re: 4430 in my Living Room

Originally posted by Norbert
    ...need the right damping provided by the power amplifier to come up to best results.
    Bingo!

And, beautiful set-up, Norbert! Thanks for the pic...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Re: 4430 in my Living Room

Originally posted by Norbert (edited by HP)
    .....I'm currently using a pair of 4430 in my living room. The room is also around 40 m² big. .....Best regards,
    Norbert
    Hi Norbert,
    where are you living in Frankfurt? pic looks like near Eschersheimer Landstr.

HP
    Please help us save more info about the vintage systems. Let us register your speakers and drivers.

Norbert

4430 in my Living Room

Hy HP,

sorry that's not Eschersheimer Landstraße! Im living in good old Rödelheim. Actually the back-yard you can see on this photo is just the triangle between Alt-Rödelheim, Reichsburgstraße and Burgfriedenstraße.

Best regards,

Norbert

Figge
    Originally posted by boputnam
    And, you're going to want/need something with pretty good damping factor to control the recoil of those 2235's...

what is pretty good? 100+ or? have bought a interM REF-2300. is it possible to use my luxman as pre-amp for this?. also got a pair of fender speakers. gonna be intressting to see what it sound like! probably terrible huh? probably gonna sell those fenders. but the amp is lookin´ good!

Norbert

Damping Factor

Originally posted by Figge
    what is pretty good? 100+ or?
    According to my experience with various tube amps I would say that 8-10 is the minimum. A damping factor of around 10 is provided by most push-pull tube amps using a pair of KT88 or 6550 tetrodes like the McIntosh MC275 or Audio Research D76. Single ended triode amps using a single triode like 300B, 2A3 or AD1 often come with damping factors as low as 1-2. They are definitely out of scope driving the 2235 driver of a 4430.
    I'm reaching deep into the area of personal taste but I think there is a limit at the other end too. I can't tell where this limt exactly is but amps like the Hafler 9505 (damping factor 1000) tend to withdraw some of the indispensable characteristics of the 4430 like liveliness and imaging. The top of the line Hafler is definitely not a bad amp but I would call the presentation flat and lifeless in comparison to a good tube amp or a transistor amp using an output trannie like the McIntosh 2100 (damping factor 14).

Best regards,

Norbert
    Last edited by Norbert; 05-24-2004 at 09:27 AM.

Originally posted by Figge
    what is pretty good? 100+ or?
    Sorry Figge - was gigging this weekend and that kept me aways from the Forum (and unintended L100 bashing, but that surely saved me some $$ !! )

Do a Search for "Damping Factor", and you'll inevitably end-up at the dreaded "Amplifiers are more significant than you think" Thread: http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbull...ing+factor+qsc The boys really got into it about damping factor (I even chimed in... ) with it's cross-links to other quasi-relevant Threads.

I don't know what the "right" number is. I know that the QSC's report ">500", and they produce very tight bass in both my home, and road PA gear (dual 18's, stereo). I would not advise using a tube amp for your lowrange. Many members here have similarly advised against that application. For the highs, fine...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Figge
    ok... question about preamp...if i was to use the interM ref-2300 amp witch is a pro-amp. and my luxman l-430 can be used as pre amp. but i wonder would a basic 2 maybe 4 channel mixer (nothing expensive) do the work as pre amp better than the lux? cd player i use is a denon DN-2000F guess u can call it a pro player? vinyl player is a dual 505 mk2 with AT-95E. please dont give up on me cuz of all my stupid quesstions.
    Last edited by Figge; 05-27-2004 at 10:32 AM.

Thread Information