Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4430 in a normal livingroom?

Figge

4430 in a normal livingroom?

hello all! nice place u got here! im pretty new to this since im in my mid 20:s i discovered the sound of L-100 a little over 10 years ago. & have two pairs stacked on eachother now ,its a pair of L-100 & a pair of 4311. i realize these may not be the very best speakers around. but i really like the sound they give. especially when playing 70:s rock&roll /blues. so far so good...now my problem comes. iv´e been offered a pair of 4430 that is seriosly in need of a recone. my question is: would these work in a normal livingroom @ about 35 squaremeters with the usual stuff ppl have in such? i dont know much about 4430. is it a good speaker? i listen to rock&roll & blues. been offered a pair of jubal too. maybe i should go for them? or should i go with the l-100:s? please clear this out for me...i can´t sleep at night

best regards figge!

Take them ALL!!! Compare and keep what you like the most.

4430 will should work fine.

Rob

Re: 4430 in a normal livingroom?

Originally posted by Figge
    ...would (4430) work in a normal livingroom andis it a good speaker?
    We have it on the best authority - Giskard and John Nebel - that the 4430 is simply one of the best JBL offered. Do a Search for "4430" and you'll find a wealth of stuff, even some comparisons by John Nebel. The recon is certainly worth it!

As for the L100's...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Obsolete
    I had a normal living room once and the 4430's worked fine in it.

Ask Norbert what he thinks of his 4430's.

Like Rob says, check them all out if you have the option to do so.

Re: 4430 in a normal livingroom?

Originally posted by Figge (edited by HP)
    ..........my question is: would these work in a normal livingroom @ about 35 squaremeters .....best regards figge!
    Hi Figge,
    if I could....I would use them in my restroom take them....fine system.
    HP

PS: welcome to the forum
    Last edited by Hofmannhp; 05-12-2004 at 06:43 AM.
    Please help us save more info about the vintage systems. Let us register your speakers and drivers.

Figge
    hi again! iv´e been looking around for some info on the 4430 and i can say im most impressed by these speakers...specially the bi-radial horns. if yhey sound half as good as my fathers l-200 im most satisfied. but these probably sound twice as good?. anyways next question is: do i need a nuklearplant to get these going? or would my 2*100 mid 80:s luxman work? i do not intend to play at rockconcert levels, but just checking.

regards figge

Figge
    restroom heh! nice. i guess im gonna go with the 4430:s. just gotta recone them.

..........anyways next question is: do i need a nuklearplant to get these going? or would my 2*100 mid 80:s luxman work? i do not intend to play at rockconcert levels, but just checking.
    regards figge
    Hi again Figge,
    the 4430 is a medium efficiency speaker with about 93dB/W/m.
    will be fine for your Luxy.....no problem, no nuklear power plant, only the neighbours.

HP
    Please help us save more info about the vintage systems. Let us register your speakers and drivers.

Obsolete
    What Lux do you have?

Figge
    l-430.

Obsolete
    Just curious
    I guess I've not seen that particular model.

Figge
    here it is.... its some budget version of the 530. i had a luxman R-600 reciever before and i liked the sound of the r-600 better but it was only 30w. may have been enought for normal listening but....sometimes u jast wanna raise the volume....
    and that it did not like. this one handles loud volumes much better.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

... do i need a nuklearplant to get these going? or would my 2*100 mid 80:s luxman work?
    Hey, figge...

HP's right, but I think you'd be more pleased with something a bit higher-output than the Luxman you're considering. And, don't be afraid of high-output amps - just 'cause they're large you needn't play them loud... :o

There's also some risk in using amps too low powered for the recommended application: http://www.jblpro.com/pub/technote/lowpower.pdf

And, JBL's note on system power requirements: http://www.jblpro.com/pub/technote/spkpwfaq.pdf

Just thought I'd thow them in...

JBL recommends biamping the 4430, and using a higher overall wattage than that Lux can deliver (see attached excerpt from 4430-35 brochure). And, you're going to want/need something with pretty good damping factor to control the recoil of those 2235's...

Here's the entire brochure for your library...

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/443035.pdf

Attached Images Attached Images  
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Obsolete
    The lowest powered unit I ever used on 4430's was the Luxman R-115 which worked pretty well.

Biamping is the best with a good tube job on the little 1-inchers.

Figge
    as you say about the risk of small amps...i had a pair of infinity SM-120 before my l-100:s. and i blew the tweeters 3 times within the year i owned them. i had a lot of difrent small/medium amps. it wasnt until i bought a luxman M-120A that it stoped...and by then i was tierd of the infinitys. it wasnt a good speaker. had the l-100 since. never a single problem, had many amps since then too. i do regret selling the M-120 tought. i dont dig the pre/poweramp setup. i like a godole reciever that weighs 40+ pounds. had a pioneer 1010 probably the amp i liked best of them all.

sorry....here im going on about some old amps....but i dont want to buy speakers (4430) that cost twise what my volvo did) and blow the horndrivers...any suggestions on minimum amp/reciever?

figge

Thread Information