Is it just my imagination or does this speaker kick major ass for the price? I've experimented with more expensive audiophile brands in the past and finally decided I needed to take a different approach. I love my other gear:

Conrad Johnson PV10A tube preamp
Conrad Johnson MF-200 power amp
Rega P3 turntable w/ Grado Reference Platinum cartridge

but I never was very happy with the speaker end of the equation until now. I mostly listen to rock music and want to get as close as possible to the original master recording (what the band heard when they were in the control room). I finally thought to do some research and discovered what makes perfect sense - many of the albums I listen to were most likely recorded in studios using JBL's. The 4312A's seemed a logical place to start. They have the punch and low end I was looking for plus the detail my system can reveal. I found them in mint condition for $500 and am now a believer.

I wonder why the audiophile world doesn't recognize these speakers. In my opinion, JBL owners seem to be fans of music. Audiophiles often come across as equipment snobs who look down on rock and roll. Long live rock!