Thread: 18' sub

18' sub

hello to everybody.

Im patricio, again, from Argentina.
    I'm trying to build a 18' subwoofer to make a system with two diy 4430'.
    I tried to find a JBL 2245 transducer in my country but is really impossible.
    The question is. Wich is the second best option for a 2245? Some audio brands in Argentina a B&C, RCF, EV, P-audio, Eighteen Sound. Another option is to buy a JBL 2241/2 ( I think that this kind of transducers doesn't work for hi fi aplications. i'm right?)
    Thanks to all of you and happy new year!!!

Patricio

2242h

as in jbl 4645c

and it works perfectly for hifi aplication

IIRC...the 2241 has an "accordian" surround. Maybe better for pro use as opposed to home use ?

Which driver has the higher power rating ?
    LE15-Thumper
    "Give me JBL, or give me death"

Quote Originally Posted by LE15-Thumper View Post
    IIRC...the 2241 has an "accordian" surround. Maybe better for pro use as opposed to home use ?

Which driver has the higher power rating ?
    I have a B460 sub on my main system, which utilizes the 2245H.

I also recently acquired a 2241-based Sub. You do remember correctly, the 2241 has the accordian surround. This sub performs absolutely wonderfully in the home application. I honestly can't say which I prefer. Both the 2241 and the 2245 have the same power rating of 600 watts continuous.

Pete
    L220A's w/B460; 4313B's w/2241-based Sub; 4401's w/JL Audio E112

I'm using a 2242 18" sub woofer in a home theater application and it is an outstanding choice.

The downside is that it works best in a BIG box - say 9 square feet.

In the USA you can get these used for $250-300 USD or buy them new for 550 USD.

SHipping from the USA to a foreign location is ALWAYS a pain, however.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    I'm using a 2242 18" sub woofer in a home theater application and it is an outstanding choice.

The downside is that it works best in a BIG box - say 9 square feet.
    9 cubic feet is a BIG box to the low compliance 2242H (Vas is ~ 10 cubic feet).
    9 cubic feet is a TINY box to the high compliance 2245H (Vas is ~ 29 cubic feet).

reality check.

Anyone reading this should check current prices for themselves before getting too
    warmed up. Normal (today, at three authorized on-line vendors) is ~$650+ new.
    Recone jobs are quoted on the order of $250.

$250-$300 would be giving them away unless they've had a hard or questionable life,
    in which case it would be too much (IMO, as a core).

There are the rare auction/swap-meet/CL deals that aren't well marketed, but one could
    wait -quite- awhile for a crapshoot. Recent ebay sale went for $400 + shipping for "new",
    but from private seller... that probably made a mistake in the listing (set initial bid
    same as BIN).

That all said, happy hunting.

$250 or so would be good price

Finding them in good condition for that price is easier said than done!

Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

Hey, Friends,

OK, I've got to jump in here and gloat, just a little! Some of you may remember the 2242H that I found at a local swap meet, in brand new condition, other than it's dust cap pushed in a bit, for all of $30!! Oh, that was a great buy! Later, I took it to Edgewound, and he replaced the dust cap with a new one, and tested out that 2242H. It looks to have never been mounted in a cabinet, nor used, at all! So, that's at least one rare exception of finding such a woofer for a, well, "swap meet" price!! Do I think I could ever find another one for such a price, and in such fine condition? Very probably never again...... For that reason, I am always grateful when such blessings come my way, and those folks here at LH who are well-known for their constant wonderful "finds" probably are, too! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

I have a 2242 sub that I enjoy much! ....on occasion it feels like the house is moving away from its foundation. If you have any loose dental fillings, you will know immediately.

Can't beat that....

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mark View Post
    Hey, Friends,

OK, I've got to jump in here and gloat, just a little! Some of you may remember the 2242H that I found at a local swap meet, in brand new condition, other than it's dust cap pushed in a bit, for all of $30!! Oh, that was a great buy! Later, I took it to Edgewound, and he replaced the dust cap with a new one, and tested out that 2242H. It looks to have never been mounted in a cabinet, nor used, at all! So, that's at least one rare exception of finding such a woofer for a, well, "swap meet" price!! Do I think I could ever find another one for such a price, and in such fine condition? Very probably never again...... For that reason, I am always grateful when such blessings come my way, and those folks here at LH who are well-known for their constant wonderful "finds" probably are, too! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    Nice! Nice! Nice!

Pete
    L220A's w/B460; 4313B's w/2241-based Sub; 4401's w/JL Audio E112

Hi, Pete,

Thanks, very much!! Thanks to you, Robert, Ron, and a few others of our LH Mates who have them and have reported positively about such subs, ,I'm really excited about the possibilities for using this 2242H in an 8 FT3 box, tuned to 25HZ, or so!! I remember when you got your second sub, with a similar woofer, and when I read that you really had a hard time telling any difference in performance between that and the B460, well, that pretty much was the icing on the "sub-cake", as far I was concerned!! Thanks, again, for your kind words, Pete, as always! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Thanks to all of you. I appreciate your suggestions.
    I think that i'm going to try with a 2241/2 diy sub.
    Thanks again.

Patricio

Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    For what it is worth, I can offer this for reference. I purchased a new-old-stock 2245H, in the box, never mounted, for $300 on eBay in August 2008.

Thread Information