Thread: Reintroducing my JBL L-96's with new stands..

whitese

Reintroducing my JBL L-96's with new stands..

Boy what a difference good stands and mass loading will do....They also thrive on the 200wpc from the McIntosh MC7100's.

Nice!

Very nice indeed...I've always liked the L96. Coupled with Mac, you really can't go wrong!

Pete
    L220A's w/B460; 4313B's w/2241-based Sub; 4401's w/JL Audio E112

Quote Originally Posted by whitese View Post
    Boy what a difference good stands and mass loading will do....
    Unfortunately I don't think enough people realize the importance of properly setting up their systems... I am sure your L96s set up as you have them on stands, away from the walls and properly spaced will give you a better sound than many people have in their homes with a significantly greater investment in speakers and electronics.

Looks really good... enjoy!

Widget

Looks good.

Tell us more about the stands.
    Out.

whitese
    I bought them used thru A'gon...Atlantic is the maker...the 4 columns are fillable. The way the spike dig into the wooden floor, quite stable.

majick47

L96 with new stands

Whitese very nice, not the haphazard placement of speakers we sometimes see with the end result of poor sound quality. I have 4301b speakers all mounted on heavy wall brackets or floor stands and the sonics are excellent. In the photos of the L96 I see a turntable in your equipment cabinet , would it be a vintage Sony?

whitese
    Quote Originally Posted by majick47 View Post
    Whitese very nice, not the haphazard placement of speakers we sometimes see with the end result of poor sound quality. I have 4301b speakers all mounted on heavy wall brackets or floor stands and the sonics are excellent. In the photos of the L96 I see a turntable in your equipment cabinet , would it be a vintage Sony?
    Yes, the TT is a Sony PS-2250, with a not sure Sony PUA toneram...terrific table. I am waiting on a Technics SP-10 that a friend of mind built a plinth for...Sony will do mono duty then.

Nice unit the 4301b..with blue face?

whitese
    Stands are Atlantic D20...

majick47

L96 with new stands

Whitese I have a Sony PS-2251 turntable, came with a entry level Sony PUA-113 tonearm, I replaced the PUA-113 tonearm with a Grace 707 tonearm due to rubber parts in the PUA-113 had disintergrated. Your Sony PS-2250 probably has a Sony PUA-237 tonearm which was a highly regarded professional/audiophile tonearm back then. From what I'v read the Sony PS-2250 etc was the rival to the Technics direct driive turntables SP-10 etc around 1970, all very nice turntables. My JBL 4301B speakers have the blue grills/baffle board/walnut veneer, have one pair in a second system and use seven in a surround system. For small pro JBLs with 8" woofers they sound surprisingly good, the home version was the L19. My brother made a pair of steel stands for one pair of 4301b, very heavy and adjustable for height etc, the stands are bolted to the back of the 4301b, sound of the speakers is more solid/focused due to no vibration. I'd like to see a picture of your Technics SP-10 when the plinth is completed.

Thread Information