Thread: The low frequencies of my Ti10k have just disappeared

The low frequencies of my Ti10k have just disappeared

After 3 weeks of disuse, I wired the speakers to my Creek amplifier and found that all the deep bass was mysteriously gone. I checked the phase and cabling and they were OK. Any ideas

Even though you checked the phase, reverse 1 pair of speaker wires at the speaker and then try it again. If they were in phase, the sound should be even worse, very unfocused and diffuse. If they were out of phase, the bass should come back and you should be able to get some center fill, even on a stereo source.

If you can mono the source, then its easier to troubleshoot.

Bart
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

As I recall, there are several sets of binding posts on the back of the speakers. I'd remove both connecting plates, (Or wires or whatever you have) clean them and reinsert them. In fact, I'd remove any strapping plates completely and reconnect them using wire. My guess is the woofers are not getting any signal.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Out.

Quick replies, as always. Thanks.

The woofers are getting signal, but the bass is very weak for some reason. I will clean the terminal plates and try it again as soon as possible. Hopefully just a bad contact. As far as I know, woofers can't get broken for not being used.

Quote Originally Posted by lofi-ear View Post
    Quick replies, as always. Thanks.

The woofers are getting signal, but the bass is very weak for some reason. I will clean the terminal plates and try it again as soon as possible. Hopefully just a bad contact. As far as I know, woofers can't get broken for not being used.
    Yes they can. They are angry at you because you have not used them often enough. (Sorry, could not resist)

Obsolete
    After 3 weeks of disuse, I wired the speakers to my Creek amplifier and found that all the deep bass was mysteriously gone. I checked the phase and cabling and they were OK. Any ideas
    If you got a vacuum cleaner anywhere near the ports then the bass was sucked out of the enclosures and you will have to buy new bags of bass from the Audio store. The bags of bass are around $6 each. You might need four bags for that size enclosure.

. . . I checked the phase and cabling and they were OK. Any ideas[?] . . .
    I suggest you check again. Reverse the leads to one speaker and see if that improves the bass. If it does, you have something out of phase.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    If you got a vacuum cleaner anywhere near the ports then the bass was sucked out of the enclosures and you will have to buy new bags of bass from the Audio store. The bags of bass are around $6 each. You might need four bags for that size enclosure.

Maybe six.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Unless you go for "Monster Bass", then they are $129 per bag.

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    Unless you go for "Monster Bass", then they are $129 per bag.
    Nah, bummer... I'm pretty out of money. is there a DIY solution?

JBL 4645
    Have you played each one on there own to see how it differs? Do you have an SPL db metre or friend that has one on hand to lone you?

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    Yes they can. They are angry at you because you have not used them often enough. (Sorry, could not resist)
    LOL oh that was funny Rolf, angry speakers. They want more love and affection.

Could be dreaded standing wave on one of the two sides of the speakers where they might have the solid low end there physically they might just not be reaching elsewhere in the room.

The Invisible Bass!

Try each speaker placed side by side to see how the strength in the low end does then space them apart slowly and note the difference while listening to them independently.

Thread Information