Thread: Move over Jubals the L300's have arrived!

Move over Jubals the L300's have arrived!

Well I got my D136a's back from Edgewound and installed them in my L300's.....cranked them up and they really are nice....I am very impressed by them. They are the nicest sounding JBL I have yet to hear, except that I have a set of 4333a's that I am restoring and the difference between the two is almost undetectable. However I think the 4333a's just seemed to be a little "tighter" and more "accurate" just ever so slightly.

Of coure the L300's are my fronts and absolutely fabulous.....they ain't going anywhere! I am driving them with my Carver M1.5 amp and using my Yamaha RX-V870 as a pre-amp. I have my L101's for rears....I just love the horns front and back....hard to beat.I moved over the L65a's to the outside....through the weekend I will audition all four sets....thank God for a gracious wife! although she is becoming quite the JBL/Altec hound herself....

I am using a little Radio Shack switchbox that balances the impedence as you add speakers....being fed by the Carver (1200 watts RMS), its got plenty of juice to spread around and can be run no sweat at 2 ohms....

I haven't attracted any cops yet, but I think the neighbors all around for half a mile know who I am for sure by now....!

The Altec Santanas I picked up last week at a thrift store....they are 8/10 and the sound is hard to believe that it is coming out of a coaxial driver! They aint going nowhere either except for my newly married 20 yr old daughter says she wants to take them home....she cant believe the sound either.

Plenty of vintage JBL goodness here....we sure are enjoing them!

Happy New Year to all you forum members and thanks so much for your help and support in 2008! Hope you have a happy and blessed year!

Shaan
    Attached Images Attached Images     

L101's for rears!

Quote Originally Posted by shaansloan View Post
    Of course the L300's are my fronts and absolutely fabulous.....they ain't going anywhere! I am driving them with my Carver M1.5 amp and using my Yamaha RX-V870 as a pre-amp. I have my L101's for rears....I just love the horns front and back....hard to beat..... Shaan
    Here are a few pics of my L101's....I applied the "DOT3 Brake Fluid" to the Lansaloy surrounds twice now in the last five months and they have really softened up....they just sound terrific! The 175 horns really are bright and are IMO excellent for rears....these are real beauties.....! By the way I have had the old guy over for dinner and listening and we have struck up quite a friendship(for those inquiring minds!) ....

Hey, Shaan,

Great post!! Congrats on getting your "system" setup, and for being able to have the L300's as the centerpiece!! Oh, yeah!!!!

Edgewound does great work, doesn't he!! I'll bet your system sounds great! Have fun with it, and Happy New Year!! OH, what does your new friend think about your huge JBL system?! I'll bet he's quite tickled about it all! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mark View Post
    Hey, Shaan,

Great post!! Congrats on getting your "system" setup, and for being able to have the L300's as the centerpiece!! Oh, yeah!!!!

Edgewound does great work, doesn't he!! I'll bet your system sounds great! Have fun with it, and Happy New Year!! OH, what does your new friend think about your huge JBL system?! I'll bet he's quite tickled about it all! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    Thanks bro...

Oh yes Edgewound did a fabulous job on my drivers.....he was professional! I would recommend him to any and all....he does Altec also BTW!

Well my friend he hasnt seen the L300's yet but he's coming over Saturday with all my kids and fam....

Oh BTW....here a pick of my little amp setup....the little Radio Shack box allows for switching between units and can run up to 4 sets at once....great for comparing sound...!

Nice gear, glad you're enjoying it, but I do have to say- that Radio Shack switcher is not rated for the uses you're asking of it. Be VERY careful that you don't literally melt that thing down, it's a dangerous weak link in the gear you're listing. Spend a few bucks for something rated for real-world power, or look into the pro-level switchers, or just settle on two speakers at a time.

je

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    I do have to say- that Radio Shack switcher is not rated for the uses you're asking of it.
    Probably not helping the sound quality, either!

I find it easier to simply split the source and run separate amps for each speaker pair. Keeps my eight Crown amps working, too. Might not switch over as quickly though. I do have one of these I've been thinking of trying out but I'm not in love with the connectors. Supposedly built to handle 250wpc.

http://ebayitem.com/180314198684

when I was using a good switchbox and only 2 pairs of speakers, tried turning on the "impedance leveling" switch ....just killed the bass.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I have an Adcom switch box....if anyone wants it, just pay the shipping.
    A quick look inside & I didn't want it hooked up in my system.
    I'm sure there are better ones...SAE makes great gear but I thought Adcom was decent too....not the switch box though.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    Nice gear, glad you're enjoying it, but I do have to say- that Radio Shack switcher is not rated for the uses you're asking of it. Be VERY careful that you don't literally melt that thing down, it's a dangerous weak link in the gear you're listing. Spend a few bucks for something rated for real-world power, or look into the pro-level switchers, or just settle on two speakers at a time.

je
    Thanks for the warning Fred....I go easy on it until I get a better unit...Shaan

Ask TiDome about the ProCos, they look great. Not designed for multiple-at-a-time, though.

je

Very nice Shaan...very nice indeed. A nice pair of L300's is always something to behold....you've also got some very nice electonics. As to the L101's, I've always loved the beautiful furniture appeal of these, and the way you have them set up, they look really, really nice.

BTW, the system that I consider to be the "little brother" of the 101, the Lancer 99, is the system that turned me into a JBL freak way, way back in the 70's, around 1974 I guess. I always liked the wooden latticework grille...not to mention the driver complement.

Very nice setup Shaan.

Pete
    L220A's w/B460; 4313B's w/2241-based Sub; 4401's w/JL Audio E112

Thread Information