Thread: Best vintage JBLs for low end stereo?

Best vintage JBLs for low end stereo?

I've got my four L100s packed away until we buy a new home (we're currently renting). While we're using my wife's circa ~1987 AIWA stereo (~30 watts) in our living room I'm scouring Ebay and CL for some nice L series speakers I can hook up to it. I'd like to get some that are at least desirable and worth keeping. So far I've found some L56s and some smaller bookshelf models...L15s and L19s. Any opinions on any of these? Prices range from $90 to $150 per pair which seems very reasonable since they're all supposed to be in excellent to very good condition.

I'd be interested in any suggestions regarding used JBL speakers to particularly avoid and conversely, ones that are good bets (under, say, $200/pair) . Thanks!

L15's

L56's, too much boom, big ass hole in the middle.

Can't speak to L19's.

L86 is far and away the best balanced speaker of all the "smaller" models. Not easy to come by, but I've managed to find 4 in recent months. They have the most surprisingly good sound of any I've heard. L46 would be my second choice. They have that "hole" in the middle, but nowhere near as bad as the L56. L15 sounds nice, but almost no bass. I swapped in a pair of 706G-1 woofs in my L15s that really smoothed them out but still no bass to speak of.

I like the L86 so much that I gave mine to my dad for his stereo, they sound great on his little 40W amp.

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    L86 is far and away the best balanced speaker of all the "smaller" models. Not easy to come by, but I've managed to find 4 in recent months. They have the most surprisingly good sound of any I've heard. L46 would be my second choice. They have that "hole" in the middle, but nowhere near as bad as the L56. L15 sounds nice, but almost no bass. I swapped in a pair of 706G-1 woofs in my L15s that really smoothed them out but still no bass to speak of.

I like the L86 so much that I gave mine to my dad for his stereo, they sound great on his little 40W amp.
    I'll second that. I had a pair given to me years ago and they sound great.

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

I'll 3rd that, but L86's didn't come into question from the OP.

L86, unlike the others mentioned, is a 3-way. If you can snag a pair of L86, run.

I've purchased quite a few JBLs for $200 or less that would keep your L100s in storage forever. These include one pair of L5s, two pairs of L7s, one pair of 4412As. For what you're looking to do, the pairs I've bought for under $100 would work very well, and these include a pair of L20Ts and a pair of L1s, either of which I'd buy again in a heartbeat. And either of which, despite their diminutive size, will stand up proudly to an L100. The L15s you mention might be similar, I've never seen a pair. That pair of 4408As on your local Craig's List for $125 would work, too.

You're lucky; you're in California, the home of $300 L300s, $100 L150As, and dime-a-dozen 4333s.

There's a pair of "new" L46s on fleaBay right now. They'll likely go for more than they should, but would be a safe buy I'm sure. Also a pair of L20t's too, which would be my choice. L1 and L5 use the same 706G-1 woofer that I put in my L15s and like very much. I think the 115H woofer has better bass, but not as smooth in the upper and mid ranges. It takes at least 200W to make the L15 produce much bass, and very little at that.

Hello, American Pie,

I got a nice set of L19's this past year, for around $65, if I recall correctly. The cabinets could use a little help, and when they were refoamed, whomever did it, put the foam on the wrong side of the woofer cones! BUT, the little L19's sound much larger than they are, and I grew to like their sound, very much, whilst I was using them. Right now, I've put them into storage. But, they will be back, when I get ready to do a couple of smaller JBL-based systems in our home! Give the L19's a squint, and if you can score them for pocket change, I think you will be very happy with them, for your intended purpose. Best of luck in your decision, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

I just bought a pair of L20t off local CL for $50; a present to myself for the holidays. And there is another CL pair for the same amount about 100 miles from me. Must resist. They have put my NHT SuperOnes (no slouch) aside. The L20t is an amazing small speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Wornears View Post
    I just bought a pair of L20t off local CL for $50; a present to myself for the holidays. And there is another CL pair for the same amount about 100 miles from me. Must resist. They have put my NHT SuperOnes (no slouch) aside. The L20t is an amazing small speaker.
    Those were supposed to be mine, but since I couldn't find anyone to go pick them up for me (I'm four hours away) I told the lady to let them go to someone else. She was holding them waiting for my check. One-inch chip in the veneer on one and small chip on the other. One grille peg broken. Sound familiar? Glad someone here got them, I guess. And a fellow BMW owner, and former 2002 owner at that.

Hope you enjoy them.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ad.php?t=23415

BMWCCA said:

"Those [L20t] were supposed to be mine, but since I couldn't find anyone to go pick them up for me (I'm four hours away) I told the lady to let them go to someone else. She was holding them waiting for my check. One-inch chip in the veneer on one and small chip on the other. One grille peg broken. Sound familiar? Glad someone here got them, I guess. Hope you enjoy them."

Nope, not the same ones. "Just bought" in my post was about three weeks ago and my cabs are about mint; no broken grill pegs. Also, seller was male.

Thanks for all the great input folks...what a great forum this is! I ended up with a real nice pair of L15s for $90 that were only a 10 minute drive from home. Based partially on your comments, I decided against the L56s which were slightly more $ and a much further drive. The L15s drivers are still in great shape and the cabs had just a few smudges (not scratches) that easily came out with some fine grit sanding. I've also done a search in the archives for info on refinishing which has been very helpful although now all they need is some oil. Today I purchased a can of Watco medium walnut and this will be one of my New Years Day projects.

The L15s should be fine for my wife's AIWA stereo; I have some old Sanus speaker stands that are the perfect size for them. A pair of 3-way L86s would be nice, but since we're currently renting, the L15s relative lack of bass won't be too much of an issue (in consideration of my neighbors). I'll keep an eye out for a pair though; maybe like some others here this is the beginning of a vintage JBL collection.

Oh, and BMWCCA: yes, it's great being in CA but I haven't yet spotted any L300s for $300. If I did, you can bet they'd be boxed up and sitting in storage next to my L100s, waiting for our next home.
    BTW, I'm also a bimmer owner ('85 6 series.)

Thanks again, and a very Happy New Year to all.

Quote Originally Posted by Wornears View Post
    Nope, not the same ones.
    It must be raining L20Ts in North Carolina then. Someone in Raleigh just got a pair. They really are a great little speaker. I was listening to mine in my daughter's room just yesterday. That's a lot of sound for fifty bucks! The L15 has got to sound very similar.

[quote=AmericanPie;233869]Thanks for all the great input folks...what a great forum this is! I ended up with a real nice pair of L15s for $90 that were only a 10 minute drive from home. quote]

Sweet buy American Pie....I am sure you will be happy with those...also those 4408's for $125 is a good bargain as well if they are in good shape....also the L86(3 way) is worth continuing to look for they are fabulous and will be a huge improvement over your L15's....I recently garabbed a nice set of L86 for $185.00....or the 4410 monitor would be a similar 3 way that would sound fab.....

Happy New Year and happy JBL'in.....

Shaan

Thread Information