Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: finding a 12dB/Octave Slopes active crossover for 4344

I have been very sucessful with a Crown VFX-1 crossover, it has served me well for over 20 years with my 4340's. The correct crossover point for a 4340 is 300Hz if that helps. Just upgraded my two Crown PSA-2's for a set of K1's my friend had. Crown makes some bullet proof equipment.

With my biamped 4341 (4 ways) the woofer takes the low split off the crossover, the high split feeds the passive and the 3 mid/high/UHF drivers.

I take the preamp out from my HK receiver and feed it directly to the Ashly crossover (or to an M552 I was using earlier last year).
    The Low side output goes to a 150w/ch power amp that is wired directly to the 2235 woofers.
    No switch, no passives, direct wired to the woofers.
    On my system I had to flip wiring polarity to the woofers to get the Bass right.
    Using a crossover point of 290Hz.

Quote Originally Posted by loman69 View Post
    thank you guys!

i would like to know that how to connect my so-called 2 ways 4344 system properly.

Connection 1: all output signal from preamp(left & right channel) go directly into my JBL M552, then the crossover divide it into HF & LF.
    HF goes into the passive crossover of 4344
    LF goes directly into the the woofer

problem: the HF went through 2 corssovers(both M552 and internal passive crossover of 4344)

Connection 2: my friend gave me a Y cable so the output singal from the preamp can be devided into 2.
    Singal 1(from 20-20,000hz) simply goes directly into internal passive crossover of 4344
    Singal 2 goes to M552, then the LF(from 20-320hz) goes directly into the woofers

For me, i perfer connection 2 because the coherence and the deeper bass.

Am I doing it right?
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by loman69 View Post

Connection 1: all output signal from preamp(left & right channel) go directly into my JBL M552, then the crossover divide it into HF & LF.
    HF goes into the passive crossover of 4344
    LF goes directly into the the woofer

problem: the HF went through 2 corssovers(both M552 and internal passive crossover of 4344)

Connection 2: my friend gave me a Y cable so the output singal from the preamp can be devided into 2.
    Singal 1(from 20-20,000hz) simply goes directly into internal passive crossover of 4344
    Singal 2 goes to M552, then the LF(from 20-320hz) goes directly into the woofers
    thank you very much for your reply.....

but i really prefer connection 2 for the coherence and deeper bass in my current system......

i tried Connection 1 before and listened it for years, the mid to mid-low were not cohesive. When i listened to Something from Abbey Road. Sir Paul's melodic bass were very shy and the bass from other R&R album was very "polite"

then i tried Connection 2, Sir Paul's bass sounds clear and the bass of Black Sabbath album become more "forward".....

the trade off is a little bit of transparency.....

the output from my preamp(mixer)

When you switch the biamp switch to External you take out the lower half of the bandpass filter on the 2122. You are driving your 2122 with a full range signal, no roll-off below 300Hz. Definately not desireable or correct but they are your speakers so do what ever you want.

When you tried the M552 did you reverse the phase on the woofer?? Using 24dbL/R slopes the drivers need to be in phase not out of phase like a typical 12db network

Rob

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Net...%20Network.pdf
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

[quote=Robh3606;234163]
    When you tried the M552 did you reverse the phase on the woofer?? Using 24dbL/R slopes the drivers need to be in phase not out of phase like a typical 12db network

Rob,

yeah! you are the man....
    I already reversed the phase on the woofers and found the bass more "forward"

http://www.amazon.com/XLO-Reference-...1007581&sr=8-1

Rob,

I found my bass was Out-Of-Phase because of this CD.....
    track 2 and track 3 are very useful(for the newbie like me).

Joel

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    When you switch the biamp switch to External you take out the lower half of the bandpass filter on the 2122. You are driving your 2122 with a full range signal, no roll-off below 300Hz. Definately not desireable or correct but they are your speakers so do what ever you want.

Rob

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Net...%20Network.pdf
    What is the easiest way to evaluate this? With sine wave close to where the crossover starts to roll-off with microphone for RTA pointing horizontality at the speaker and at what distance?

Also an SPL db meter same thing pointing directly?

Then adjust wires or polarity of crossover until the signal goes upwards rather than downwards which would equal out-of-phase.

Thread Information