Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Neil Young Live

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    Please tell us more! I remember seeing Peter Gabriel in Bloomington-Normal, Illinois during what might be called his Shock The Monkey tour to date it. I turned to my wife about a minute into the first set and said that this was the best band we would hear for at least ten years. It was. The only time I ever saw Tony Levin.

The whole band entered the hall through the aisles from the balcony on down, playing drums... Peter had the bass drum

Clark
    Great stuff.

I posted some pictures from a PG gig last year in the music section...

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...=peter+gabriel

The Man!

Neil still refers to that CD as "The feedback one." He has always preferred live (everyone playing at once, together) recording takes. His goal has been to capture the reality and immediacy of the performance in the studio. Fidelity has seldom if ever been a priority. In music, content and impact are actually more important than hifi, so I can't argue. I'll take an underwater recording of Neil over a perfect recording of Whitney Houston any day.

Remember that he has recorded with Crazy Horse, essentially a garage band that can barely play, more than with any other bunch. It keeps it real, raw even, in a sense that overdubed session musicians can never even hint at. I am for this, as most music that wins grammys or attracts people in tuxedos sucks pond water. One does not go to Vegas to get their soul touched. Crazy Horse even lamented that Devo did way better stretching out on Neil's songs than they ever could. (Devo appeared prominently in Neil's film Human Highway. Difficult to get and I am one of its three fans, I confess.)

Great Jazz and Blues is not polished, over rehearsed or refined. Neither is great Rock.

By the way, I don't know about Dylan but Neil can sing on key at will - except on the Tonight's The Night album, too much alcohol* - but prefers a more personal, expressive style. Hey, it has done a good job of keeping parents hating their kid's music over the years, not altogether a bad thing. I warned you I was subversive.
    Clark
    Neil , one of my all time favorites, as always Clark, you nailed it! Been listening to a lot of Neil lately and I gotta say for that instance Harvest Moon, Prairie Wind, Chrome Dreams II are actually really well recorded, (Excellent bass too as I'm sure you know) which is not what one would expect from Neil. Some people will either love or hate his voice, I think its great, very soulful, which I'll take every time over polished mediocrity. A lot of people did not like Pete Townshend's voice at first, he blows away roger in my book.
    I hear the garage band reference a lot as well when talking about Crazy Horse, all I have to say on that note is, that it may very well be, but I dearly wish there were a whole lot more bands that would strive for that level of musicianship I love their raw sound its what keeps Neil so "resh".

Rust Never Sleeps DVD, one of my favorite albums from him (Pocahantas, Thrasher, c'mon, not a bad song in the album!) like the album its a little raw, not like Heart of Gold, but if you like the man & band it a must for the archives (plus it has a lot more songs than the album, plus for 14 buck or less you cant go wrong).
    Unless one is very finiky or nitpicky the sound quality and footage are actually quite good! A friend of mine only likes HD stuff now.....he's gonna miss out on a lot of good stuff.
    Just Play Music.

Obsolete
    I have that DVD too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    I hear the garage band reference a lot as well when talking about Crazy Horse, all I have to say on that note is, that it may very well be, but I dearly wish there were a whole lot more bands that would strive for that level of musicianship
    Don't we all!

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Can they fix that whiny noise with EQ?

Have enjoyed Neil for many years , but a little at one sitting is enough , yes, he sure can get whiny ...as can Springstein, Van Morrison ..etc..etc
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Have enjoyed Neil for many years , but a little at one sitting is enough , yes, he sure can get whiny ...as can Springstein, Van Morrison ..etc..etc
    I agree completely. Somehow, with Van The Man, it comes out as character and years of struggle with demons. With Neil it's just whining. And you guys can keep your "Boss", too. If I want a little "whine" with my meal, I much prefer to listen to Delbert, Lyle, and John Prine together on "Too Much Stuff".

http://www.amazon.com/gp/dmusic/medi...oadLocation=CD

Some people will either love or hate his voice, I think its great, very soulful, which I'll take every time over polished mediocrity. A lot of people did not like Pete Townshend's voice at first, he blows away roger in my book.
    I an happy you enjoyed my take on Neil. Have you read Shakey?

About less polished vocals, I did go the other way only once with this concept. When The Cars first broke out they had a hit with Just What I Needed. The late great Ben Orr, their bass player, sang it. Still my favorite song by the group; I call it their I Get Around because, like the Beach Boys' hit, it came early and was never equaled in what were its strengths.

Unfortunately, after that Ric took over the lead vocal role with few exceptions (like Drive). The briefest investigation into the band corroborates what you hear. The raging egomaniac leader put himself in front and produced one windbag arthaus vocal after another. He basically could not sing, but this time it revealed his bloated ego instead of any raw intimacy. The anti-Dylan if you will. It worked for David Byrne, it works for Neil, it did not work for Ric.

Now poor Ben is dead from cancer, Ric is wealthy and probably still married to a super model, and I am finished with this rant!

Off topic, I must add that we have Dylan to blame for starting the whole Rock musician marrying a model thing. Actresses came next. (For previous history, look up Artie Shaw.) By the time Bruce married an actress the mold had already long set. And like the plaster in the mold, those ladies did not have enough substance for a thoughtful musician to sustain a meaningful relationship with. I don't think Neil ever married Carrie Snodgrass, but I can say she was no airhead actress. She was a high school era bud of my sister's.

All this bothers me because unfortunate personal relationships, like drug habits, diminish rather than bolster the quality output of musicians. Most people notice the material for lyrics failed relationships generate, but everything else about it harms an artist. I used to be in the visual arts and believe me, the suffering artist thing is BS from start to finish. A lot of Jazz musicians were great despite the heroin, not because of it. Talent is God given, so to speak, and it can be developed or crippled, but never increased. Notice how musicians are almost always from musical families? They were born with their talent.

After Vice Presidents serving from 2001 to 2008 and Fed chairmen married to Andrea Mitchell (hint below), my least favorite category of Americans is models-turned-actresses. If I were single I would rather marry a pet rock. Well, Sela Ward proved to be talented. Oh, wait. Models turned singers are much worse. (Second hint below)

Clark
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

I an happy you enjoyed my take on Neil. Have you read Shakey?

About less polished vocals, I did go the other way only once with this concept. When The Cars first broke out they had a hit with Just What I Needed. The late great Ben Orr, their bass player, sang it. Still my favorite song by the group; I call it their I Get Around because, like the Beach Boys' hit, it came early and was never equaled in what were its strengths.

Unfortunately, after that Ric took over the lead vocal role with few exceptions (like Drive). The briefest investigation into the band corroborates what you hear. The raging egomaniac leader put himself in front and produced one windbag arthaus vocal after another. He basically could not sing, but this time it revealed his bloated ego instead of any raw intimacy. The anti-Dylan if you will. It worked for David Byrne, it works for Neil, it did not work for Ric.

Now poor Ben is dead from cancer, Ric is wealthy and probably still married to a super model, and I am finished with this rant!

Off topic, I must add that we have Dylan to blame for starting the whole Rock musician marrying a model thing. Actresses came next. (For previous history, look up Artie Shaw.) By the time Bruce married an actress the mold had already long set. And like the plaster in the mold, those ladies did not have enough substance for a thoughtful musician to sustain a meaningful relationship with. I don't think Neil ever married Carrie Snodgrass, but I can say she was no airhead actress. She was a high school era bud of my sister's.
    Thats interesting!
    All this bothers me because unfortunate personal relationships, like drug habits, diminish rather than bolster the quality output of musicians. Most people notice the material for lyrics failed relationships generate, but everything else about it harms an artist. I used to be in the visual arts and believe me, the suffering artist thing is BS from start to finish. A lot of Jazz musicians were great despite the heroin, not because of it. Talent is God given, so to speak, and it can be developed or crippled, but never increased. Notice how musicians are almost always from musical families? They were born with their talent.
    Clark
    Hi Clark!
    Just got Shakey for the olidays and am looking forward to diving in, right now I'm reading Neil & me which was written by his dad, just started it, so far its great. I am just in awe of this man, incredibly proficient, he's got so much material, every single cd I've obtained will invariably either be really good or maybe I wont dig two or three songs and that is rare. Aside from his musicianship I admire his personal ideals and philosophies, seems like a down to earth kinda guy no bull.

Ben Orr, I saw the cars at Forest Hills (a smallish outdoor venue) during their Heartbeat city tour, my girlfriend and I were able to sneak up to the stage without any hassels (rare for me) and the first thing that struck me when the show started was how much of their material was sung by Ben (we were right in front of him). Good show but that album was kind of lame and of course they were going to do a lot of material from it.
    I still like them a lot though, great band!

Back to Neil, the Live at Massey Hall 1971 cd/dvd is really quite good, I love Neil unplugged. Maybe not the best sound quality (not bad though) and visual but some great versions of many of his songs.
    Very intimate & soulful, I think that comes out more when he's just accompanied by Hank's guitar and a few jaw harps.

Just Play Music.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    I have that DVD too.
    I hear the garage band reference a lot as well when talking about Crazy Horse, all I have to say on that note is, that it may very well be, but I dearly wish there were a whole lot more bands that would strive for that level of musicianship
    Don't we all!
    They sure dont make garage bands like that any more, pitty, these new kids could learn a lot from them, if they could only come up with a little soul.
    Let us absolve their mediocrity!
    Just Play Music.

They sure dont make garage bands like that any more, pitty, these new kids could learn a lot from them, if they could only come up with a little soul.
    Let us absolve their mediocrity!
    The new kids don't like garage bands at all, from what I can see - if its not slicked down with a vocal tracker, or full of gangsta pretensions, its not interesting for them ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Absolutely right! These kids, they just dont get it, completely souless.
    my kids are going to seem a bit weird to their friends when they get older, I got them singing Cripple Creek Ferry, Ride my LLama & Ted Hawkins version of 59th st. bridge song (my favorite version, now that man had lots of soul!).

Feeling Groovy!
    Just Play Music.

United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurica, Inc.
    Hi Clark!

Back to Neil, the Live at Massey Hall 1971 cd/dvd is really quite good, I love Neil unplugged. Maybe not the best sound quality (not bad though) and visual but some great versions of many of his songs.
    Very intimate & soulful, I think that comes out more when he's just accompanied by Hank's guitar and a few jaw harps.

Yep, very good performance there. I bought it a month ago and love it.

Thread Information