Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neil Young Live

Neil Young Live

Catch "Heart of gold" on VH1 Saturday night for great concert. Great sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by elwood127 View Post
    Catch "Heart of gold" on VH1 Saturday night for great concert. Great sounds.
    Can they fix that whiny noise with EQ?

Obsolete
    I never cared much for ol' Neil but the Heart of Gold DVD is excellent. He was on Charlie Rose a few months ago and I'm coming around...

I just love "Like a Hurricane" off American Stars and Bars, or even the Live Rust version.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Can they fix that whiny noise with EQ?

No it doesn't, but the power swithch does.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    I never cared much for ol' Neil but the Heart of Gold DVD is excellent. He was on Charlie Rose a few months ago and I'm coming around...
    Try On The Beach. If you are as twisted and subversive as I am, and I think you are, (that is a compliment), also go to Tonight's The Night, the original record. Not the live stuff. It is as off key as it gets, being drowned in tequila, but it may be the best album ever made.

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Isn't Neil Young live and oxymoron if he sings?

My .02 of a cheap shot

Mark
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by opimax View Post
    My .02 of a cheap shot
    Did Neil Young and Bob Dylan ever sing a song together?

That would be a helluva thing to hear.

Did a Google - Neil Young on Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan and Neil Young

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Did Neil Young and Bob Dylan ever sing a song together?
    They got close--The Last Waltz. But there were enough other voices to create a kind of general hilarity.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    They got close--The Last Waltz. But there were enough other voices to create a kind of general hilarity.
    Oh good!

Quote Originally Posted by opimax View Post
    Isn't Neil Young live an oxymoron if he sings?

My .02 of a cheap shot

Mark
    Ah hAA -
    know that I have a BIG hunka Neil's recorded catalog and you can come over, sit and delight in the joy
    that is ARC and WELD .. but Emma will run away first, of course, she is not a Neil fan ...

I also have a boot of his solo tour London concert of way back - say 69 or 70 or so ... great show, but a funky recording ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    that is ARC and WELD .. but Emma will run away first, of course, she is not a Neil fan ...

I also have a boot of his solo tour London concert of way back - say 69 or 70 or so ... great show, but a funky recording ...
    Neil still refers to that CD as "The feedback one." He has always preferred live (everyone playing at once, together) recording takes. His goal has been to capture the reality and immediacy of the performance in the studio. Fidelity has seldom if ever been a priority. In music, content and impact are actually more important than hifi, so I can't argue. I'll take an underwater recording of Neil over a perfect recording of Whitney Houston any day.

Remember that he has recorded with Crazy Horse, essentially a garage band that can barely play, more than with any other bunch. It keeps it real, raw even, in a sense that overdubed session musicians can never even hint at. I am for this, as most music that wins grammys or attracts people in tuxedos sucks pond water. One does not go to Vegas to get their soul touched. Crazy Horse even lamented that Devo did way better stretching out on Neil's songs than they ever could. (Devo appeared prominently in Neil's film Human Highway. Difficult to get and I am one of its three fans, I confess.)

Great Jazz and Blues is not polished, over rehearsed or refined. Neither is great Rock.

By the way, I don't know about Dylan but Neil can sing on key at will - except on the Tonight's The Night album, too much alcohol* - but prefers a more personal, expressive style. Hey, it has done a good job of keeping parents hating their kid's music over the years, not altogether a bad thing. I warned you I was subversive.

* You can hear him lurching towards and away from the mike, barely able to stand.

Clark

Dylan played Winnipeg on Nov.2 of this year. While in town he was checking out Neil's boyhood home

I caught the Dylan show that night by the way!

Still not sure if I was in the presence of a genius or a train wreck.

His band was fantastic

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Dylan played Winnipeg on Nov.2 of this year...His band was fantastic
    Please tell us more! I remember seeing Peter Gabriel in Bloomington-Normal, Illinois during what might be called his Shock The Monkey tour to date it. I turned to my wife about a minute into the first set and said that this was the best band we would hear for at least ten years. It was. The only time I ever saw Tony Levin.

The whole band entered the hall through the aisles from the balcony on down, playing drums... Peter had the bass drum

Clark

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post

Hey, it has done a good job of keeping parents hating their kid's music over the years, not altogether a bad thing. I warned you I was subversive.

* You can hear him lurching towards and away from the mike, barely able to stand.

Clark
    Right on! I always told the high school kids when I was teaching that if their parents and teachers liked their music, they weren't doing their job.

Thread Information