Greetings, Friends,

Well, sometimes, you just can't win, no matter how hard you try! My wonderful Mother-In-Law came up to our very snowy (three feet deep, so far) mountains, to spend Christmas with us. We always enjoy having her up in our home, and always have fun when she's here. She noticed our "new" L300's as soon as she walked in the door, and I told her all about them. She then told me about the wonderful system her sister bought for herself for Christmas, a Bose Home Theater system......... I spent the last several days playing wonderful Christmas music through our L300's, at fairly low volumes, which she dearly loved. But, she really didn't see any difference between "those big speakers", and "those nice little Bose speakers". To her, they both sounded the same.....! I tried to explain about dynamics, honest frequency response, transient response, psycho-accoustics, and all the other things that makes the L300's CRAP ALL OVER THE BOSE SPEAKERS!! She really didn't get it. So, tonight, I put on the Boz Scaggs "Dig" CD, and told her that what she was going to hear was honest, very deep bass, produced on a synthesizer, which no Bose system could ever hope to reproduce. I played only the first few bars of track #5, "Desire", and immediately saw that not only was she not impressed, but she HATED the sound!! "It's too loud", she whined, as she slammed her hands over her ears, and ran from the room!!!!! Now, please note, that I purposely did NOT turn our system up too loud, as I knew that she would not care for too much volume. However, she took the "feeling" of honest bass reproduction, as "loudness", and hated the feeling of it.

To her, ALL music is supposed to be "background" music, which only provides "noise", and which is not for actual listening. To her, having the TV blaring, all day long, even when she's not even in the room, is what she enjoys. It drives her absolutely crazy that we never even turn on our TV, unless we are actually sitting there, "watching" it!!! When we finish our program(s) of choice, we turn off the TV. To her, that is something that she cannot fathom...... the thought of actually have "quiet" in our home, is totally foreign to her, and quite boring. And, to top it off, she really doesn't understand that we actually ENJOY listening to our music, when to her, it's just something that is always supposed to be in the back-ground, and should never be "instrusive" into her TV enjoyment......

Go figure, Friends...... sometimes, you just can't win!! Sigh.......... Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc