Thread: speakerrrrrs? new here

speakerrrrrs? new here

so i have 2 northridge E50's that i use the most, and 2 other REALLY old jbls. like 30 years old or something. they were my dad's dads speakers, and contain a single 12" woofer. not sure what model they are, but they sound pretty good for their age. my friend says it probably contains the "rare alnico" magnet in it.
    any ideas what they are?

Hi DJXS,

Welcome to the Lansing Heritage Forum! Hope you enjoy your stay here and learn more about JBL speakers and the company.

Regarding your father's speakers, there were quite a few that had 12" woofers. However, very few only had just the woofer so you may have to provide more information and detail in your description. Also, some cabinet dimensions, other drivers if any, and some front and side angle pictures would help a lot. Might also be good to include with and without grilles.

Shoot a few pics at 800 x 600 resolution or resize and you can add them to your next post by using the manage attachments button when you reply. That will provide us with a good visual look at what you have.

Again, welcome!

Regards,

Bart
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

hi and thank you for the warm welcome,
    i have tried getting the grille off but it is a woven thread type of thing that i think is bonded to the wood, and inside the cab there is only a single 12" woofer and thats all, but ill try and get pics up today when i get the chance!

Sounds like they may be homebuilt speakers using (if they're really JBL) possibly a D123, a D131, or an LE12C.

they are 11 inches deep
    14 inches wide
    25 inches tall

& also i got the go ahead to remove the woofers from their cabinets. im going to purchase JBL horns and make new cabs. also with a crossover installed of course hah.

would it be good to put in a mid range?

JBL Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    Sounds like they may be homebuilt speakers using (if they're really JBL) possibly a D123, a D131, or an LE12C.
    I'll put my money on a D123 (assuming it's a JBL driver). Looking through the grille cloth, the aluminum dustcap looks to be smaller than a D131 dustcap.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL Dog View Post
    I'll put my money on a D123 (assuming it's a JBL driver). Looking through the grille cloth, the aluminum dustcap looks to be smaller than a D131 dustcap.

it is the d123 haha
    what kinda magnet is in it?

Yeah, the D123 has an Alnico V magnet. Still, and I hate to be one to burst your bubble, but a pair of D123s isn't really a lot to use as a basis for a killer system. Particularly considering what it'll take to add even a tweeter and a network. The D123 was often paired with an 075 ultra-high-frequency ring radiator, but those will set you back several hundred for the pair and more if you want JBL crossovers. You're actually better off just finding some 12" JBL three-ways complete. It'll save you a bit of money and pay off in better sound and resale since they're in a real JBL cabinet. You can always keep yours for sentimental reasons. An ex-JBL employee who frequents this group swears by the D123 as a killer guitar speaker. If you're a player, two of those in a Twin-Reverb cabinet would probably be a greater use for them. I've had a D123 sitting around here or a couple of decades trying to find something to do with it. Good luck.

Thread Information