Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: replaced my 2420 + 2344A with 2435 + PT-H1010HF

Hello Frank

It's in the schematic put it's not all that easy to read. Its a 3.3 in series with the driver with a .040mh and a 17.8uf in parralel. Look at V2 and R17, L2 and C10.

Do you have any measurement capability at all?? I am using my measurements, it sure would be nice if you could actually confirm what curve you are actually getting from your drivers. Even an RTA would help feel kinda blind on this end.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

I have some capability, but it is so bad, we'd better consider it as "no measurement capability", I'll try your values tomorrow, it's already midnight here

thanks again,

Frank

Well Good Luck I hope it helps you.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

its june now and I have recently rearranged my system to include the 2435 / pt-h1010 combo again, but now in a active setup

as I am a bit of an high-end afficionado, I have been trying to get the best out of the combo in this setup and I have found a really fine capacitor for the 2435

I have set up the M552 active crossover in 236x series compensation and am crossing over to the 2435 at 1300Hz using all class-A amplification (50W low-mid and 10W on the 2435)

to protect the 2435 from DC at the amplifier output, I had to include a capacitor between amp and 2435 that had no attenuating effect in the passband of the crossover, and I have tried several

the best sounding on the 2435 is an NOS (new old stock) sovjet paper-oil (or paper-wax?) capacitor (30uF, 160V), it really makes a difference compared with top-notch MKP capacitors, it takes away the last bit of harshness from the 2435, so sweet!

they can be had on ebay for about 10$, here for instance (I have no connection with the seller, just an example): http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/30uF-160V-30-...QQcmdZViewItem

just sharing this with you, I know most of you don't consider capacitors like these, but they definately make a big musical improvement over the slightly cold MKP's most use, just listen...

frank

Soviet paper in oil caps....

I have not tried out the Russion paper in oil (PIO), but a friend of mine has in his tube amp builds and he likes them.

I acually like to use vintage oil caps in my 1st order crossovers as they have smoother sound than the metalized polypropolene (MPP) types as high efficiency horns are very revealing and I like the sound characteristics.

So, yes some of us do like the "oil" type caps!!!

Regards, Ron

Quote Originally Posted by frank23 View Post

just sharing this with you, I know most of you don't consider capacitors like these, but they definately make a big musical improvement over the slightly cold MKP's most use, just listen...

frank
    JBL Pro for home use!

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by spkrman57 View Post
    I acually like to use vintage oil caps in my 1st order crossovers as they have smoother sound than the metalized polypropolene (MPP) types as high efficiency horns are very revealing and I like the sound characteristics.
    I'll buy that. I had a similar discussion with Jeff at Sonicap many years ago.

Thread Information