Thread: Are "Grill Retainers" still available?

Are "Grill Retainers" still available?

Hi,

I'm trying to fix up a battered JBL L80T speaker. Thanks to this forum, I have a line on replacement speaker grills.

However, the "grill retainers" are all broken too.

Part #66815. Are these still available? I have sent an email to JBL to ask.

If not, does anyone out there have a few (I need six) they would like to sell?

Quote Originally Posted by wu6fiend View Post
    I'm trying to fix up a battered JBL L80T speaker. Thanks to this forum, I have a line on replacement speaker grills.

Are you sure they're "broken"? They're just rubber plugs. When I got my L80Ts I thought one was messed up, too, but I realized it had just gotten shoved into the hole in the baffle by some dumb-ass shoving the grille back in without lining it up. I used a needle-nosed pliers to grab it and pull it out. Pulled all of them out then, sanded the boxes and oiled them, and just stuck the little rubber plugs back in the holes. You might want to check and see if yours aren't all twisted around and shoved back in the holes. There's really nothing about them that "breaks". You'd have to pull them out and purposely pull them apart into pieces to hurt them. :dont-know
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Hi,

Try Parts Express www.partsexpress.com. They sell stuff for making and repairing grilles and I noticed that they have retainers similar to the ones used on Model 19s.

Bob Walker

Hi,

When I pulled the woofers on my L100Ts to redo them, I found a couple of the "missing" rubber bushing had been shoved back though their holes and were loose in the yellow soundproofing inside the cabinet. I put a spot of gorilla glue on them and put them back in place, and gave them, a day to dry before replacing the grills.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Hi,

No, they are definitely broken. Most of them are in pieces, with parts even missing. I think it is a combination of old age and poor treatment by the former owner(s). I will try that link, thanks. If anyone on this site are junking L-series cabinets, and would like to sell these retainers, I would be interested. PM if you have any. Thanks.

Hi,

No, they are definitely broken. Most of them are in pieces, with parts even missing. I think it is a combination of old age and poor treatment by the former owner(s). I will try that link, thanks. If anyone on this site are junking L-series cabinets, and would like to sell these retainers, I would be interested. PM if you have any. Thanks.
    There are two sets of four available on Ebay and will be up for 6 more days
    http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-Grill-Mounti...3A2%7C294%3A50

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-Grill-Mounti...3A2%7C294%3A50

Bob W

Quote Originally Posted by rgwalker View Post
    There are two sets of four available on Ebay and will be up for 6 more days
    That's not the part he needs for an L80T. They are simple rubber plugs with a lip that sits on the front of the baffle, and "teeth" on the sides to retain them in the particle board holes.

According the my most recently downloaded JBL price list, part number 66815 is available for 42¢ each from JBL. Anyone made a phone call yet?

But then I assume, because of this post, that the need no longer exists.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thanks, I found a donor pair of L80Ts, and the immediate need for the retainers has passed.

You are correct, the part does reportedly retail for $0.60 USD.

Canadians, in contrast, are asked to pay $7.73 apiece, plus $10 handling fee, plus nearly $10 shipping. That's the price I got from JBL's Canadian distributor. Absolutely ridiculous.

I'm going to send them a reply,and asked them did they make a mistake, or do they really expect anyone to pay such an absurd price for such an insignifcant part.

Canadians, in contrast, are asked to pay $7.73 apiece, plus $10 handling fee, plus nearly $10 shipping. That's the price I got from JBL's Canadian distributor.
    It's not just Canadians. I posted here a while back about trying to buy some simple stuff like 035ti screen-retainer O-rings, some gaskets, and some L26 tweeter foam damper rings. JBL in NY, the consumer parts center, quoted me some stupid price and the woman phone rep seemed indifferent. When I called JBL Pro in California, they were super nice, prices were about 1/10th what the consumer side wanted for the same part, and I told the guy at Pro that. He laughed and said he hears that a lot! Of course now JBL Consumer in NY is no more, and good riddance. Unfortunately it seems Pro's days may be numbered, too. I believe it was mentioned here that the parts biz was to be rolled into Crown's parts business. And those are some nice folk in Elkhart, IN, too!

United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurica, Inc.
    Well this is interesting, because I was told just a few days ago by a local JBL dealer that the rubber Grille Trim for my SR4725X's, JBL part #382-00336-05 for $2.22 was unavailable, although it's listed in the Feb. 4, 2009 Misc. Parts List.

So should I call JBL Pro myself or does JBL make a habit of listing parts that are actually not available?

Quote Originally Posted by LowPhreak View Post
    So should I call JBL Pro myself or does JBL make a habit of listing parts that are actually not available?
    When I called I asked about the badges for the 4412A that were listed on the current price list for something silly like 69¢. The Pro employee laughed and said if they had them, he'd own them since he needed a pair for his 4412As. I suppose many line items are just for reference in case some dealer has them in stock, or for reference, or becuase it just never got updated. :dont-know

Thread Information