Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Altec 604 (series)

I have a 604 Hpln (one) driver and I would like to have your opinions on the N604-8A crossover from Great plains audio, should it tame the infamous midrange and with a 6 cu inches box with a 5" port(lenght I don't know for now) but they seem to be collaborative witch is a big plus!

Use: mostly mono music and center channel for a future home cinema.

P.S.: I already have plans for JBL K-145/2420 drivers for L&R music and dvd stuff

I have noticed that the hpln is not as delicate sounding as the other 604s. The GPA xo is indeed very nice and I think sounds better than the OEM xo. However, I think a custom built xo can sound better than the GPA xo.

-G

Big Reds and The Mastering Lab

Just to clear up one misconception...
    The Mastering Lab did NOT use 604s for mastering monitors. I have seen this repeatedly on the web. They had three-way systems with dual Altec woofers (not sure if 515s or 416s) Altec horns (311s?) with 288 drivers and EV T-350 tweeters. These were all passively crossed over and driven by Sherwood Sax tube amps.
    Sherwood just saw a market for crossovers for 604s because there were so damned many of them in LA studios at that time, and they need some help sonically. Many of the Mastering Lab's clients were using 604s and after hearing Sherwood's crossovers around town, quickly switched to the TML crossovers.

Quote Originally Posted by cohearent View Post
    Just to clear up one misconception...
    The Mastering Lab did NOT use 604s for mastering monitors. I have seen this repeatedly on the web.
    I may have missed a thread or two on 604Es, ML crossovers and Big Reds since I've been a member of this forum but I don't think that this is an issue here. I have no doubt that it could be a popular misconception to anyone simply associating the name to the product but it wouldn't carry far in a discussion here.

Bob W

I didn't start the discussion, Don did. See post#7 below

Quote Originally Posted by Progneta View Post
    I have noticed that the hpln is not as delicate sounding as the other 604s. The GPA xo is indeed very nice and I think sounds better than the OEM xo. However, I think a custom built xo can sound better than the GPA xo.

-G
    What does make the 604 hpln sounding less delicate compared to others exept for high power application? The mid-high diaphragm?

For custom xover sould I start with the GPA XO and modify it for it's mids fowardness?

GPA suggest me the N604-8A wich is for a 8 ohms hf voice coil and mine has a 16 ohms diaphragm. So they suggest me to replace the 16 ohms for a 8 ohms.

Need help identifing "recone" woofer cones

I have a pair of 604s ("B"s I think) that have been reconed. The numbers on the cones are 035400, 36, 97. They have an accordian edge and retained the original 16 ohm impedence of the speakers overall.

Can anybody tell me if these are C, D, or E cones? Something else?

Gary

Any pics?

Thread Information